Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
So, I recently bought a 10.5 Pro wifi model. Still within the return period and I'm considering doing the upgrade to the LTE model.

Do LTE model owners feel that it's worth the extra cost? Not only up front but also month to month. (i have one of those AT&T unlimited plans and adding an iPad costs $10 or $20 extra a month to the plan)

I've read a lot about the convenience of having always on internet on the iPad... currently I use my iPad out and about I usually have my phone and recent updates have made tethering super simple.

I guess the downside is the extra step of connecting to the phone in the settings and also that the battery on the phone will drain faster. Still, not sure if that's worth $130 plus the monthly fee...

Is there anything else I'm missing?

So far I'm leaning towards keeping my wifi model, but maybe there's something I haven't considered that will push me over to the LTE side.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So, I recently bought a 10.5 Pro wifi model. Still within the return period and I'm considering doing the upgrade to the LTE model.

Do LTE model owners feel that it's worth the extra cost? Not only up front but also month to month. (i have one of those AT&T unlimited plans and adding an iPad costs $10 or $20 extra a month to the plan)

I've read a lot about the convenience of having always on internet on the iPad... currently I use my iPad out and about I usually have my phone and recent updates have made tethering super simple.

I guess the downside is the extra step of connecting to the phone in the settings and also that the battery on the phone will drain faster. Still, not sure if that's worth $130 plus the monthly fee...

So far I'm leaning towards keeping my wifi model, but maybe there's something I haven't considered that will push me over to the LTE side.

I think the major benefits with LTE is that you have the ability to still use Wi-Fi when you want to and then you have the option when you're not in range within Wi-Fi to take advantage of the LTE signal when you're traveling, in a poor area or Wi-Fi is not accessible, or in some cases, you get faster speeds for downloads depending on your wifi settings. The benefits are there for not being tethered to Wi-Fi when you don't need it.

You just have to ask yourself would you have an appreciation for having extended LTE capabilities without being near Wi-Fi signal.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I've had 2 iPads, and both were cellular. I don't use my current one out and about enough to justify the $20/mo these days. I'm pondering some PAYG plan for the 12.9 when it decides to show up.

On that note, does anyone know of a list of the carriers and offerings for them? I have attempted to google it multiple times and it isn't working for me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Nope, I use hotspot on my phone. I have 10gb for that to utilize on a monthly basis which is enough for me. The extra cost therefore is not worth it considering the money spent on the LTE model AND the cost of adding a tablet to my plan.

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I've had 2 iPads, and both were cellular. I don't use my current one out and about enough to justify the $20/mo these days. I'm pondering some PAYG plan for the 12.9 when it decides to show up.

On that note, does anyone know of a list of the carriers and offerings for them? I have attempted to google it multiple times and it isn't working for me.

If I go LTE I would definitely not put it in the plan and do PAYG plan... I thought those were built in the ipad and you could buy a month of service through the UI for like $15? Is that not a thing anymore?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
In Australia, the cost of adding a device to my plan is $2 for the SIM card (no monthly fee). My wife and I are on the same account (i.e. both plans under my name), so our 12 GB plans are in the same data pool, meaning we both have access to a total of 24GB. We can get other SIM cards to put in other devices so that we can use data from that 24GB datapool. It's great.

Despite this, I still don't think it's worth the extra cost. Tethering is so easy...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

UOThief

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I've had a cellular iPad Air 2 since it was released and just finally upgraded to the iPad Pro 12"9. I'm always going to get cellular. I use it daily, especially on my breaks at work. But also during my commute. Great for travel.

Took the Air 2 off my service and just have the Pro. Worth the $10 a month on my plan. Currently on a 20gb AT&T plan and use 15+ every month between my iPad and phone.

It just depends on your current situation.

With mine, I'm never without a instant-on device, with a lot of space to work and light multi-task. I'll probably keep on buying tablets until they stop making them or come out with something better. I haven't owned a working laptop in 4 years.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

For me, yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought the LTE model. I have my iPad on shared data plan so it's $10/mo to add to the plan.

That said, I use the iPad for 80-90% of personal use and typically have poor wifi options outside of home. Bonus, if I forget my iPhone at home, I can still call and text using my iPad.

Another thing, I always get the top capacity model so LTE is extra insurance that I'll be able to track my device almost all the time.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I've had enough WiFi issues that I've really appreciated the cellular option. I would not buy an iPad without it now.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
If I go LTE I would definitely not put it in the plan and do PAYG plan... I thought those were built in the ipad and you could buy a month of service through the UI for like $15? Is that not a thing anymore?
They are built in - I haven't received mine yet to look at them, and my current Air1 is on a tmo plan so they don't show up.

I was stating that for me, I don't use the LTE enough right now to justify a $20/mo plan all the time. I do like the option of having it there though. I have used it a lot in the past and never regretted having it. Right now I just have secure wifi at my longest hangout each week. I'm pretty sure that my use is under 5gb for the entire last year (discounting when our home connection was out and the hotspot burned it quickly doing our normal stuff!).

Oh and my boyfriend has always scoffed at my connection - asking why I don't just hotspot. He finally got an LTE tablet and gets it now.

Reactions: baypharm

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I think it’s a waste. I’m still not sure how LTE adds $130 to the cost 7 years after the original iPad. You’d think they’re be some economies of scale during that timeframe. Of course $130 is an inconsequential amount, but I feel like it’s an up-charge because they can rather than a true additional cost.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I tried doing the MiFi hotspot in the past and it will cost more than just getting the LTE version. If you use your iPad in areas without WiFi, its worth the $130, to have the ability to stay connected. I personally wouldn't buy one one without, but you know your own needs better than we do.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
It's not just the LTE that's included. It's also the on board GPS with the cellular model. I have a plan that includes a free unlimited data line from T-Mobile.

For me... it's worth it! I pay the extra $130 and have permanent data wherever T-Mobile is accessible. Frankly, I've thought about getting rid of home internet because of it!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
It's not just the LTE that's included. It's also the on board GPS with the cellular model. I have a plan that includes a free unlimited data line from T-Mobile.
I swear everyone has this but us! LOL

They screwed us up when they convinced him to switch to One - I told him it was going to cost us more, the rep said no. Guess what, it did go up. UGH.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I swear everyone has this but us! LOL

They screwed us up when they convinced him to switch to One - I told him it was going to cost us more, the rep said no. Guess what, it did go up. UGH.

It depends on your plan, but most do charge a monthly fee too add another line. Alternatives would be to stick with the default Apple SIM and use the T-mobile pay as you go, if you only infrequently use cellular. You can buy blocks that expire in a day or week. It can work out OK if your data needs are light and you only use it for occasional traveling, etc.

Otherwise adding the line to an existing unlimited data account is your best bet.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
There one big disadvantage not being able to download apps larger than 100 MB.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Having an iPP with cellular + wifi is worth it. I pay $10 with 12GB data a month for use at hotels when their wifi is really SLOW! I don't use cellular when I am at home so I use wifi anyway.

Reactions: SDColorado

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
that is not true

So, Apple is being untruthful then? Because You're Incorrect. It is true. As You specifically asked:
What battery life you get on LTE

I quoted that directly from Apples website. Here is the link indicating LTE/Wifi battery life capabilities.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Again, your question was generalized and not specific, answering your question from Apple's website Stated "Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network."

Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
So, Apple is being untruthful then? Because You're Incorrect. It is true. As You specifically asked:

I quoted that directly from Apples website. Here is the link indicating LTE/Wifi battery life capabilities.

Again, your question was generalized and not specific, answering your question from Apple's website Stated "Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network."

Again, your question was generalized and not specific, answering your question from Apple's website Stated "Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network."[/QUOTE

Does handoff Calls and texts work with non cellular iPad if no wifi access

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.