Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Just buy the Apple Leather Folio case. The problem is solved then.

I wear the iPhone 11 Pro Max for almost 2 months in my pockets (also jeans) and the screen is still flawless with this case.

Most scratches tend be abrasions from the likes of sand and other small particles that get mixed up with pocket lint or whatever is in the bottom of a purse. A folio won’t do much in regards to that.

Best solution is simply a screen protector.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Why not? When the folio is closed the screen won't come into contact with any sand/lint/whatever from your purse or pocket, will it?

Unless you have a magical vacuum seal case granted to you by a genie particles like sand will get in. We are talking about extremely small particles that can get in to anything. Sand will easily get in between the folio case.

Sand cuts through any glass like a razor blade through human flesh.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Yes, they will, but much less. And even if they get in, the chances that they rub against the screen are slimmer. What causes scratches is not the mere existence of those particles, but their rubbing against the screen when you put the phone into or take it out of the purse, or when it simply lies in there touching other things. All this rubbing is practically non-existent with a folio case.

Last edited:

cygnusjen

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
I can't even think of how my screen might have gotten scratched. But, there it is, a nice deep, short scratch. 3+ years with my 7 Plus uncovered and never had an issue. I guess I'll see how much worse it gets over time :/ Frustrated since I'm being so careful with it - haven't dropped it once yet.

TD540

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2017
MAJOR scratch in my iPhone 11 Pro! I'm furious! ???

Is there a way to remove scratches from the oleophobic screen? I WANT to have this fixed!

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
MAJOR scratch in my iPhone 11 Pro! I'm furious! ???

Is there a way to remove scratches from the oleophobic screen? I WANT to have this fixed!
Put a screen protector on it, if the scratch is light enough, it will conceal it.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
I just use applecare and swap it out if It bugs me. You can always find a reason to get it swapped under warranty.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
MAJOR scratch in my iPhone 11 Pro! I'm furious! 😡😡😡

It depends how deep the scratch is into the oleophobic coating. If it’s just a minor hairline scratch and you can’t feel it with your finger nail, it should dissipate with the coating as wears off where it’s barely visible, but in all likeliness, it will still be there.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I just noticed two scratches on my 11 Pro Max screen yesterday. My phone is in one of those sunglasses bag (the ones that double as a lens cloth) and then in my pocket alone. I've had every iPhone since the 3GS. Never had a problem.

My wife's iPhone 8 is almost 2.5 years old and she doesn't treat it with kid gloves like I do. Not ONE single scratch.

Not excited about wasting $20-40 on a screen protector because Apple decided to go cheap on their $1300+ device.

daneilrosales

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Last year, there was an uproar of members basically wanting to boycott Apple because their screens were spontaneously scratching without them knowing how it happened. Yet, the same phone I owned with the Max, I never used a screen protector or case of any type, and I never had any scratches whatsoever on my display, and I carry it in my pocket. I still have no scratches whatsoever on my display.

The only thing I can think of, are surface/hairline scratches into the actual Oleophobic coating, which is naturally organic and wears off over the course of time.
I have noticed some microscratches on the notch area of my week old Pro Max. Given that it is believed to be just on the coating.

Will those scracthes dissipate also as the coating wears off?

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
I hate that you guys are having issues with scratches, but thanks to this thread, I applied a screen cover to my new iPhone 11 Pro for the first time ever.

I hope you guys find a resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.