Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Rumour: A higher refresh rate display (120 Hz up from 60). This sparkly "Squirrel!" moment is seen as a positive improvement between 13 and 12 by potential buyers. I suspect the majority of users won't be able to see the difference (unless encouraged by a salesman of the PT Barnum ilk), but it sure sounds like an improvement! ?
ProMotion won't even be available on the 13. It's a Pro feature. ?

Reactions: one more

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
From the rumors out so far, does it look like the current 12 mini cases will fit the 13 mini. I know it’s impossible to know for sure, but the rumors I’ve seen suggest the 13 pro’s might have a bigger camera module but the non-pro 13’s will remain the same (dimension wise, including camera module dimension.

The reason I ask, I’m planning on picking up the 13 mini and saw the Apple 12-mini (clear case) on sale for like $22 last weekend and picked it up. Love the clear cases. Now I’m wondering if the dimensions of the 13 mini will change in any way.

Reactions: N69AP and DeepIn2U

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The Mini is only expected to get an 8% battery increase and slightly improved camera. And it’s thicker, with a larger camera bump.

If money is even a minor issue, then buy the 12 Mini.
Otherwise, I’d wait for the 13 Mini. There isn’t any ONE thing I think is worth waiting for, but again, if you can afford the €150 (or more) difference, then you may as well wait.

• Love
Reactions: Barbareren

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
13 mini will likely be the last mini made for a good while. I’d wait for it then go all out on the size model you really want. I’ll be going from a 12 Pro to 13 mini and I can’t wait. The huge screen size of the Pro is amazing, but absolutely nothing seems to beat that small form factor for me. I tried getting used to big phones, and I have big hands, yet still couldn’t bear it after a year.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
13 mini will likely be the last mini made for a good while. I’d wait for it then go all out on the size model you really want. I’ll be going from a 12 Pro to 13 mini and I can’t wait. The huge screen size of the Pro is amazing, but absolutely nothing seems to beat that small form factor for me. I tried getting used to big phones, and I have big hands, yet still couldn’t bear it after a year.

Is a one way road my friend, the mini on hands is perfect. Battery is not bad to be honest, and it charges really really fast.

For reading, surfing and watching the photos, I use an old 8+.

The ipad Mini is good too but is a little big IMO; hope the new Mini will have same screen size and smaller body, and not bigger screen on the same body...

Reactions: subjonas

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yes i feel your pain

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
its been my experience here in the US the Minis hold their value like crazy if you want to sell and get a new version later.....

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If the 13 Mini has a battery on par with the XR then it will be an instant buy for me
Well, the 13's battery will be - by sheer real estate involved - physically smaller than the XR's, and it'll use the same OS and the same apps. Unless Apple makes significant changes to the hardware as far as power-saving is concerned (or adds a lot of bulk), the chances of the 13's battery life being on par with the XR are pretty slim.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Well, the 13's battery will be - by sheer real estate involved - physically smaller than the XR's, and it'll use the same OS and the same apps. Unless Apple makes significant changes to the hardware as far as power-saving is concerned (or adds a lot of bulk), the chances of the 13's battery life being on par with the XR are pretty slim.

I don't think it's as far fetched as you make it seem. The 13 Mini is rumored to have a battery bump anywhere between 2400-2500mAh. Add the new A15 SoC which is leaps more efficient than the 7nm A12 that is used in the Xr and that should equate to a pretty interesting benchmark and real world usage. Obviously none of us knows what is what until the new 12s/13 Mini is out but it'll be a lot closer than you think in terms of real world battery usage.

• Haha
Reactions: N69AP and DeepIn2U

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Historically, the “S” models of iPhones age far more gracefully than the “non-S” models. There’s a pretty good chance the 13 will be the one to have in a few years over the 12. My guess as to why? The improved battery life made available by the newer chip, much more efficient 5G modem, and slight capacity increase. The camera improvements are always welcome as well.

All told, waiting is the safest choice.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
From the rumors out so far, does it look like the current 12 mini cases will fit the 13 mini. I know it’s impossible to know for sure, but the rumors I’ve seen suggest the 13 pro’s might have a bigger camera module but the non-pro 13’s will remain the same (dimension wise, including camera module dimension.

The reason I ask, I’m planning on picking up the 13 mini and saw the Apple 12-mini (clear case) on sale for like $22 last weekend and picked it up. Love the clear cases. Now I’m wondering if the dimensions of the 13 mini will change in any way.
Yes I've got about 7 cases for my 12 mini, and hope they fit the 13 mini. I suspect they will fit, even if the 13 mini is slightly thicker by a few MM (Similar to the Iphone 7+ and 8+, with the 8+ being slightly thicker by 0.2mm but still fitting the 7+ cases).

DSTOFEL

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011

7CCA9EFB-527E-4C53-8B86-C7A7A749AFC6.png

I‘t’s these types of ”rumors” that have me thinking that the camera module will be bigger on the 13 mini…and that the 12 mini clear case won’t fit. The module looks wider and it starts closer to the top of the camera body on the 13 mini. I know these are just rumors and that no one knows for sure at this point…but I think I’ll just return the 12 mini-clear case…..just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: 5105973

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
The diagonal lens arrangement looks so ugly but it has to be done. Otherwise, the camera bump will be massive on the mini.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
The diagonal lens arrangement looks so ugly but it has to be done. Otherwise, the camera bump will be massive on the mini.

The diagonal is to let everyone know that you have the latest and greatest; as we still have a notch, the difference is on the back ?

• Haha
Reactions: JM

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
The diagonal is to let everyone know that you have the latest and greatest; as we still have a notch, the difference is on the back ?
I think that’s just a “side” effect. The X and Xs look the same right?

If they did two lenses vertically, the bump would be so large that MagSafe, especially the wallet would become unusable. I think that’s the primary reason for the diagonal arrangement.

Reactions: N69AP

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Is a one way road my friend, the mini on hands is perfect. Battery is not bad to be honest, and it charges really really fast.

For reading, surfing and watching the photos, I use an old 8+.

The ipad Mini is good too but is a little big IMO; hope the new Mini will have same screen size and smaller body, and not bigger screen on the same body...
It‘s very rare I find someone else who finds the iPad mini too big! It’s just slightly too wide to comfortably hold like a phone—which is the most comfortable way to hold a device one-handed for long periods of reading—, or put in my lounge sweatpants pocket as I go around the house. That’s how I want to use it, as a sort of huge phone/small consumption device when I’m at home (and leave my small iPhone charging). I tried using an iPhone Plus as an iPad mini mini for awhile but a secondary iPhone doesn’t have the same Continuity functions that an iPad has, like outgoing calls and SMS texts using the primary iPhone, so I would have to carry/keep track of both devices around the house. That got tiresome so now I just use an iPad mini at home. A pop socket helps.
I’d love for the iPad mini to get smaller but all the rumors point to its overall size staying the same or getting bigger.

Reactions: servenvolley

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yes, I know it’s only 3 weeks away, but I picked up an iPhone 12 mini!
The deal was just too good to pass up. It cost me in around $300 CDN for a new 128gb model.

I hope I won’t miss the 13’s rumoured faster refresh rate, faster modem, smaller notch and 10% battery increase.
But it certainly, is going to cost a lot more.

And, when you’re coming from an antiquated iPhone 6, this 12 is a fantastic leap in performance.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes, I know it’s only 3 weeks away, but I picked up an iPhone 12 mini!
The deal was just too good to pass up. It cost me in around $300 CDN for a new 128gb model.

I hope I won’t miss the 13’s rumoured faster refresh rate, faster modem, smaller notch and 10% battery increase.
But it certainly, is going to cost a lot more.

And, when you’re coming from an antiquated iPhone 6, this 12 is a fantastic leap in performance.
Congrats thats a really good deal, and for 128GB even better. The 13 mini will not have faster refresh rate, only the Pro models will according to most rumours, so you wont be missing out on that.

Reactions: satchmo

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
with a year longer software support.
Huh? There's no reason to believe that's true. Apple has no track record for that.
the hypothetical “extra” year is not a big issue for most
Since it has never existed, that should not be an issue for anyone.
13 mini will likely be the last mini made for a good while.
Says who? Not Apple. The small phones come and go as Apple Marketing decides. Believe it or not, the USA market is not the deciding factor for this.
I really don’t like the diagonal lens placement either…..an eye sore
Who really cares? If an issue, then don't buy. Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.