Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Huh? There's no reason to believe that's true. Apple has no track record for that.

Since it has never existed, that should not be an issue for anyone.

Yep.

Agreed.

Yes

Says who? Not Apple. The small phones come and go as Apple Marketing decides. Believe it or not, the USA market is not the deciding factor for this.

Who really cares? If an issue, then don't buy. Problem solved.
i think some just like to nitpick and are never really content with anything. "Oh I bought this wonderful phone but this that and the other thing really annoys me boohoo! will someone please change my diaper!" edited

there I said it...

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah…I really don’t like the diagonal lens placement either…..an eye sore

indeed. It’s like waiting for the elevator, our steps a very beautiful late teen girl, same age as you as a teen boy, who’s super cross-eyed. You know it’s wrong to stare but you’re confused and mesmerized by the beauty and crossed-eyes, your head turns as she passes. And everyone in the elevator coming out after her smirk, giggle, or nod in acknowledgment of your eyes being captive as they were as polite as possible inside with her. Yes this happened to me as a kid and this is how I’m seeing the lens arrangement of the 13mini. I don’t know why, but I dislike the lenses.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
indeed. It’s like waiting for the elevator, our steps a very beautiful late teen girl, same age as you as a teen boy, who’s super cross-eyed. You know it’s wrong to stare but you’re confused and mesmerized by the beauty and crossed-eyes, your head turns as she passes. And everyone in the elevator coming out after her smirk, giggle, or nod in acknowledgment of your eyes being captive as they were as polite as possible inside with her. Yes this happened to me as a kid and this is how I’m seeing the lens arrangement of the 13mini. I don’t know why, but I dislike the lenses.

Underlying childhood trauma coming back to life!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
My guess is that the entire 12 line will be dropped to make way for the 13's.
Similar to the 11's when the 12 came out (although they kept the base 11).

So while 12 minis will still be available through carrier's remaining stock, they won't be available officially through the Apple store.
They (12 series) might hit the Refurb Store when the 13 ships but that is not a given. Often, recently discontinued NOS hits secondary markets (as Apple calls them) meaning not the USA or EU. Apple did that with the X when the Xs was released.

There a number of resellers in these markets who buy in quantity and then bring them back into the US through eBay. As long as everything works, you're fine but warranty can be a problem — you punch the serial# into the Support page to find your "new" phone is not eligible for AppleCare+ because it has a sale date 8 or more months earlier or any warranty because that sale date is over a year old. As long as you understand that, technically, those phones are used (even in unopened boxes) you're ok. Sometimes the savings are great and there is a good network of service providers for used phones. Phone company service plans will often cover these, too.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
13 mini will likely be the last mini made for a good while. I’d wait for it then go all out on the size model you really want. I’ll be going from a 12 Pro to 13 mini and I can’t wait. The huge screen size of the Pro is amazing, but absolutely nothing seems to beat that small form factor for me. I tried getting used to big phones, and I have big hands, yet still couldn’t bear it after a year.
I’ve been using a 12 for a year and while I love the design and form factor, I’m debating on if I want to get the 13 Mini as I have small hands and think it’ll be the absolute perfect size.

If apple can keep it the way they did the 12 mini where it has all the same features as the other models, and improved battery life will be a win win for me.

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
I’ve been using a 12 for a year and while I love the design and form factor, I’m debating on if I want to get the 13 Mini as I have small hands and think it’ll be the absolute perfect size.

If apple can keep it the way they did the 12 mini where it has all the same features as the other models, and improved battery life will be a win win for me.
Do it! The 12 mini is a delight. Other phones are just uncomfortable to use, and I have largish hands. You won’t regret it and I doubt you’ll even notice the smaller screen when you’re using it.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
The size is actually even better for people with big hands, hehe. As we can truly operate it one-handed. Still, far more comfortable than its siblings of course

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The size is actually even better for people with big hands, hehe. As we can truly operate it one-handed. Still, far more comfortable than its siblings of course
How is the battery life? I would use my iPad for content consumption so I don’t watch videos on my phone.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
Well, the 13's battery will be - by sheer real estate involved - physically smaller than the XR's, and it'll use the same OS and the same apps. Unless Apple makes significant changes to the hardware as far as power-saving is concerned (or adds a lot of bulk), the chances of the 13's battery life being on par with the XR are pretty slim.
What? Try a much more efficient cpu, antennas, and lower res screen.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
How is the battery life? I would use my iPad for content consumption so I don’t watch videos on my phone.
I’ve never had issues. I think the battery life is great. Where are people at that there’s NEVER a place to charge? I get in my 2017 Discovery and there’s USB ports everywhere. I’m at my desk at home and there’s a mag safe charger on my desk. I’m in the cockpit of the jet I fly and there’s USB ports there. If I’m flying someone else’s jet I have a portable power brick. I just flew from the us to Dubai and airlines home all with phone and one power brick. That was three days. I mapped the lower power button to my pull down screen so when I’m in the middle of nowhere or a foreign country it doesn’t use battery searching for signal.

Battery life is a non-issue for me. It’s longer than my 11pro and I climbed Kilimanjaro with my 11 and spent two more weeks in the Tanzania bush and never worried about battery. Either I’m carrying a power brick in my bag or I’m not. This thing could have a magical week long battery but if I’m leaving my local I’m taking my brick in my bag. As for daily driving I’ve never once ran out of battery.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I’ve never had issues. I think the battery life is great. Where are people at that there’s NEVER a place to charge? I get in my 2017 Discovery and there’s USB ports everywhere. I’m at my desk at home and there’s a mag safe charger on my desk. I’m in the cockpit of the jet I fly and there’s USB ports there. If I’m flying someone else’s jet I have a portable power brick. I just flew from the us to Dubai and airlines home all with phone and one power brick. That was three days. I mapped the lower power button to my pull down screen so when I’m in the middle of nowhere or a foreign country it doesn’t use battery searching for signal.

Battery life is a non-issue for me. It’s longer than my 11pro and I climbed Kilimanjaro with my 11 and spent two more weeks in the Tanzania bush and never worried about battery. Either I’m carrying a power brick in my bag or I’m not. This thing could have a magical week long battery but if I’m leaving my local I’m taking my brick in my bag. As for daily driving I’ve never once ran out of battery.
Agreed. Charging really shouldn't be an issue anymore — and if it is, charging packs are inexpensive and readily available.

Heck, you can get solar powered units as well. The Solvolt is really popular @ $20–$25,
Top 5 Power Banks Under $50

I have an old POWERTRIP.
PowerTrip
Other than it being no longer available new, it's been great and goes with me on all trips in the US or overseas. Can't say I've had to use it more than once or twice in the last 4 years, however. More than enough juice for an iPhone and can extend the charge of my iPad Pro for many hours if on but it will charge the iPP if off. Because I hardly ever have the need, I see no reason to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Also - what do you guys think about the rumored diagonal camera? i’m sure it’ll grow on me but I like the layout on the 12 way better.
Some people think it's an issue. Must be those who stare at their iPhones looking for a reason to be annoyed, I suppose. I don't get it. Otherwise, it means that the 12 cases won't fit the 13 which we already know. Besides, we don't really know that the 13 Mini will have diagonal lenses and no one knows if the LiDAR Scanner will make it this year.

Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
I haven’t had any real issues. I’ve had mine for about 5 months and battery health is at 99%.

My carrier has started rolling out 5G in my area though and I’ve notice that the battery drains a lot quicker on 5G. But video seems to be the biggest drain so if you’re not watching videos on your phone the battery should easily get you through more than a day.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Also - what do you guys think about the rumored diagonal camera? i’m sure it’ll grow on me but I like the layout on the 12 way better.
Personally I hate it, but then again I also hated the camera design change from the X to the 11, and then 12. Honestly, I would have stuck with the X if it wasn’t for the 12 mini, but I still don’t like the design. However, I do value functionality over design so… I don’t like the colour choices either (not very PC, but I’m so sick of the “girly” colours), but there are always sacrifices to be made ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: N69AP

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
I wonder what the difference in thickness is going to be, since the 13 is supposed to be thicker? I hope not by much, I want it to be light and pocketable, not big and clunky.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
My carrier has started rolling out 5G in my area though and I’ve notice that the battery drains a lot quicker on 5G.
Everybody's battery drain is higher over 5G. That is supposed to be addressed with all the 13s.
I don’t think anything can have a lower res screen that the XR.
Oh my… longtime iPhone users remember the days before Retina screens. Fortunately, Apple has not announced plans to go back to the bad old days.
I wonder what the difference in thickness is going to be, since the 13 is supposed to be thicker?
Minor according to all accounts. The edges should be more squared off and the difference should be hardly noticeable unless you have one of each side be side.

It's also possible that the Mini will not be available till after the rest have launched. Apple has done this before such as with the 12 Mini released 3 weeks after the rest of the 12 series.

Anyway, all of this is speculation. If a phone is needed now, buy one — the 12 Mini is a very good phone. If one can hold out till the 13 Mini is released, do so and compare the actual features side by side since all the phone companies will have both for awhile.

I will be upgrading from an 11 Pro to something in the 13 line (not the Max—too big) if I like the feature set (nothing in the 12 line convinced me to buy). I'm looking for camera improvements and have no reason to jump onto 5G. I have no problem with sticking with what I have if the 13 doesn't do it for me. I like the smaller size of the Mini if it otherwise has the features I want.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

All camera bumps and modules are kinda ugly to me but thankfully I don’t have to look at the back of the device much.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
maybe...
1630791464066.png

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I’d always chose the unannounced one of which I have zero idea what it will contain.
Simply put: buy the existing 12 mini. Who knows? You may be disappointed by the non-existent 13 mini and wish you had waited for the 14, the 15, the 16, the 17. Then you'll be 75. "If you can't be with the one you love, Love the one you're with". Stephen Stills (1970).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.