Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttarantino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Is anyone else experiencing a click when initializing the camera on their iPhone 14 Pro Max? It seems that sometimes (usually the first time after sitting idle for a few) the camera will produce a click (that you can hear and feel) when first opened. Not sure if this is normal or not.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
No issues with mine. Clicking is not normal at all. Does it happen when you use other apps that use the camera such as Instagram, or only within the iPhone camera app?

matttarantino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
I seem to only be able to trigger it from posting an Instragram story, or scanning a 2FA code in 1Password so far. I wonder if it's something to do with the way the camera is initialized?

Reactions: Chevysales

matttarantino

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Thanks! It's not the same thing (just a click vs a buzz) but sounds like it could deff be software related.

Willberj

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
Same here. I saw the vibrating cameras but i dont have that. Its just a click sound sometimes and if i am using the back camera and put my ear close the lenses i can hear a buzz. Both in camera app and 3rd party apps like Snapchat.

Reactions: bbfc

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
No issues with mine. Clicking is not normal at all.
Put your ear up to it, like RIGHT up, pressing the camera bump into your ear, and open the camera app.
I don't know if 'click' is the right word, but you can definitely hear something suddenly initialise/move into place, perhaps a lens or the OIS sensor stabilisation

Reactions: Willberj

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I get it occasionally, its the OIS kicking in, nothing to be alarmed about (as far as I am concerned), my Leica Q and PEN-F make this noise when they kick in too! Its either the lens focusing from one extreme to another or the OIS just doing its thing.

This is not the same as the there vibrating spazzing out issue others are having, my friend also has the "click" when launching apps and camera kicks in.

If you look at the lens when it does it, it's the new 48MP lens shifting, its mechanical, they make noises.

Reactions: jason1096 and xARx2

Willberj

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
I get it occasionally, its the OIS kicking in, nothing to be alarmed about (as far as I am concerned), my Leica Q and PEN-F make this noise when they kick in too! Its either the lens focusing from one extreme to another or the OIS just doing its thing.

This is not the same as the there vibrating spazzing out issue others are having, my friend also has the "click" when launching apps and camera kicks in.

If you look at the lens when it does it, it's the new 48MP lens shifting, its mechanical, they make noises.
Ah okey 👍🏽

Frazo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Same issue with me. The camera performs perfectly, even on apps like Snapchat and Instagram. But I do hear a single click from the camera module when I open the camera while only using Instagram. Hopefully it’s a software issue. Please keep us posted if someone gets to know more about the same (or solutions)

Thanks!

Reactions: Chevysales

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Exactly the same issue
Same, going between FB photo mode and Instagram to post, it will 90% do it, FB uses photo mode, Instagram looks like its using video mode (to take stills too), as you can see the OIS is kicked in when you move the camera, in FB it does not do that.

However, on a plus side Apple have confirmed the camera vibrating etc and have a fix out for it next week.

Reactions: usmaak

mihauke

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Same here. I saw the vibrating cameras but i dont have that. Its just a click sound sometimes and if i am using the back camera and put my ear close the lenses i can hear a buzz. Both in camera app and 3rd party apps like Snapchat.
Do you make a complaint for this buzz sound from lenses? People say it's normal, and i have that too. Never experienced this before (XS Max)

Willberj

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
Do you make a complaint for this buzz sound from lenses? People say it's normal, and i have that too. Never experienced this before (XS Max)
No im not gonna return my phone, seems like it’s a normal thing. The other problem people had with vibrating cameras is not normal though and if that starts to happen I’ll replace mine asap.

mihauke

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
No im not gonna return my phone, seems like it’s a normal thing. The other problem people had with vibrating cameras is not normal though and if that starts to happen I’ll replace mine asap.
Alright. Do you know if can you hear this sound on the recorded video? I did a test and i think it is hearable.

Got Haggis?

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
just got my phone today after UPS snafu. It has the camera issue - open up instagram, it clicks once if you try to take a story using the back camera - but otherwise video seemed ok. Opened up tiktok, switched to back camera - video was all kinds of wavy then the constant clicking started. It boggles my mind this could be a software issue - if that is the case, then why doesn't everyone have the issue? I am feeling like I need to return it.

Reactions: Frazo

Frazo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
just got my phone today after UPS snafu. It has the camera issue - open up instagram, it clicks once if you try to take a story using the back camera - but otherwise video seemed ok. Opened up tiktok, switched to back camera - video was all kinds of wavy then the constant clicking started. It boggles my mind this could be a software issue - if that is the case, then why doesn't everyone have the issue? I am feeling like I need to return it.
Dont worry, almost everyone in this forum has this issue. @curthard89 says apple has confirmed and would come up with a fix next week.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Hopefully it’s just a software glitch

Frazo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Same, going between FB photo mode and Instagram to post, it will 90% do it, FB uses photo mode, Instagram looks like its using video mode (to take stills too), as you can see the OIS is kicked in when you move the camera, in FB it does not do that.

However, on a plus side Apple have confirmed the camera vibrating etc and have a fix out for it next week.
So glad to hear that buddy!
Do keep us posted if you come across any updates. Would help everyone in this forum

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Dont worry, almost everyone in this forum has this issue. @curthard89 says apple has confirmed and would come up with a fix next week.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Hopefully it’s just a software glitch
Sorry, that’s kind of a stretch to say that almost everyone. 🧐

Henno89

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I also made the same observation on my 14 Pro. It doesn't happen every time when accessing the camera via Instagram, but when it happens it is a noticeable and hearable "click" coming from the camera module on the back.

However, i have not encountered the rattling/vibration issue yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.