Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfred.TV

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I also made the same observation on my 14 Pro. It doesn't happen every time when accessing the camera via Instagram, but when it happens it is a noticeable and hearable "click" coming from the camera module on the back.

However, i have not encountered the rattling/vibration issue yet.
Yes, I am experiencing the exact same thing. A question to you, Henno (and others) - do you think that the brief clicking (and to my ears, a bit of a grind) sound is causing damage to our iPhones? From what I have read, the loud and continuous vibration does cause damage, however, I'm a bit concerned (my OCD kicking in) and wondering if it's worthy of returning it under the 14-day policy offered by Apple for a new one. Let me know your thoughts when you can, and thanks. - Alfred

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I am not returning it just for the occasional click, chances are, that will also be resolved with next weeks firmware updates. Like I said before, clicks are very common from OIS, from lenses, or sensors etc, all my camera click when they kick in, I am not worried about it at all. If it was vibrating and constantly doing it like the main issue, sure, be worried, but the fact it does once (when its initialising) I don't see any issue with, specially as it does not always do it, as far as I'm confirmed, mechanical OIS makes a noise.

Alfred.TV

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I am not returning it just for the occasional click, chances are, that will also be resolved with next weeks firmware updates. Like I said before, clicks are very common from OIS, from lenses, or sensors etc, all my camera click when they kick in, I am not worried about it at all. If it was vibrating and constantly doing it like the main issue, sure, be worried, but the fact it does once (when its initialising) I don't see any issue with, specially as it does not always do it, as far as I'm confirmed, mechanical OIS makes a noise.
Thank you!

Elecoxy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Is anyone else experiencing a click when initializing the camera on their iPhone 14 Pro Max? It seems that sometimes (usually the first time after sitting idle for a few) the camera will produce a click (that you can hear and feel) when first opened. Not sure if this is normal or not.
I upgraded my 14 pro max to 16.0.2, but this problem still exists.

If you want to reproduce this problem. You can put your phone very close to a target, then relaunch the ins application and open the camera. You can hear this clicking noise.

I found a video that presents this issue:

Last edited:
Reactions: khatkar

Frazo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2014
Yep it still exists after updating to IOS 16.0.2..
Skeptical now.. as we all are still under 14 days replacement period but what if they don’t consider this as an issue (this happens here in India) and even if they do replace the phone, what if the new phone also has the same problem?

(I’m Speaking for myself) I don’t use the IG camera app much and even if I do, it’s just the initial “click” that happens.. and the best part (touch wood) is that there isn’t any issue with the stock camera app..

Let me know what you guys think..

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
The only thing you can do is take to apple and ask them, there are a fair amount of people with this "issue", but as far as I am concerned, its not an issue, things make noises, specially hardware OIS. The lens is just moving from one extreme to the other if you look at it, all the lenses are kicking in and trying to focus.

khatkar

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Jattwaad
I also hear the click when opening instagram (iPhone 14 Pro 16.0.2), but also in Instagram you can see the phone focusing quite hard maybe it will be fixed with a update from instagram rather than Apple idk.

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I also hear the click when opening instagram (iPhone 14 Pro 16.0.2), but also in Instagram you can see the phone focusing quite hard maybe it will be fixed with a update from instagram rather than Apple idk.
Same, its only Intsa that does it, from what I have said before and notice, Insta seems to open in Video mode with OIS enabled, every other app seems to just be photo mode (can tell just by moving around, Insta is slow / smooth).

I am happy with it, I honestly don't think its an issue or care, just chipping in, my phone contract comes with 3 years hardware warranty anyway, so no care if it faults down the line.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
Whether it helps, I have Pixel 6a and the camera click switching from front facing camera to back, though it's not as loud. Suspect that's just OIS / focusing, and third party apps aren't fully optimised for the new camera.

My back camera still hisses, though I need to put my ear next to it to hear, but apparently that's normal too.

Last edited:
Reactions: curthard89

khatkar

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Jattwaad
Yes I feel good now thanks guys exactly it opens in video and goes to photo and all that OIS. and also the hissing I had it too on my 13 Pro so no worries there. Thanks guys in Belgium I have 2 years walk in warranty at the Apple Store so am not worried on that front.

curthard89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I just tried on my S22 and I also get a click switching between cameras too! Just never noticed it until now.

Reactions: khatkar

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
I hear the single click in the camera app and then almost like white noise. The click I think is normal OIS kicking in. The white noise is weird. It's almost like the mic is acting like a speaker generating white noise.

khatkar

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Jattwaad
I hear the single click in the camera app and then almost like white noise. The click I think is normal OIS kicking in. The white noise is weird. It's almost like the mic is acting like a speaker generating white noise.
The white noise is also related to mechanical camera system since I also hear it on my iPhone 13 Pro as well as the click it’s just a bit less loud on the 13 Pro I guess since the sensors are smaller…

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
The white noise is also related to mechanical camera system since I also hear it on my iPhone 13 Pro as well as the click it’s just a bit less loud on the 13 Pro I guess since the sensors are smaller…
I checked 2 other 13 pro max's today since my coworkers have them. No white noise.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Same issue with me. The camera performs perfectly, even on apps like Snapchat and Instagram. But I do hear a single click from the camera module when I open the camera while only using Instagram. Hopefully it’s a software issue. Please keep us posted if someone gets to know more about the same (or solutions)

Thanks!
I get exact same with IG camera

khatkar

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Jattwaad
One more thing everyone on Snapchat my iPhone 14 Pro isn’t able to focus on object when you go a bit too close like food or something even though all the older models are able to click perfect shots tried on my 11 Pro and even 7… same goes for the Apple camera app if I turn off Macro I cannot focus like older devices… does it has to do with macro and that the close up focus is limited on the main camera?

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
One more thing everyone on Snapchat my iPhone 14 Pro isn’t able to focus on object when you go a bit too close like food or something even though all the older models are able to click perfect shots tried on my 11 Pro and even 7… same goes for the Apple camera app if I turn off Macro I cannot focus like older devices… does it has to do with macro and that the close up focus is limited on the main camera?
New larger sensor, focus distance has changed by 2”.

khatkar

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
Jattwaad

yo

You’re an absolute legend! Thanks mate explains it.

Reactions: marty1990

Elecoxy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Hi guys, I think we can stop this topic. I asked Apple Support to diagnose my 14 Pro Max, and they told me that it does not exist any hardware problem. In addition, they told me that they have found this problem and will try to fix it in the future. This problem will not damage the camera hardware, they told me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.