Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2021
I heard the click and felt the vibration using “Lose It!” App and “WhatsApp” App, I’m using iOS 16.0.2

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’m pull this one back up as I did a bit of testing on all my camera apps today. And I think it is safe to assume the OIS shake is now over. So I took a look at the click business at the launch of a camera app.

For me all make some quiet click and some static which is normal. These include the stock Apple app, Halide, Pro Camera and Filmic Pro. - and a dishonourable mention for Beastcam. Beastcam actually gives a loud click and you can see the lens literally moving back and forth - but just once. The other apps do the same but not to this extreme. Anyway, I deleted the app as I’m not crazy reproducing that over and over again. But it did the same loud click on my 12 Pro Max which also freaked me out so I deleted the app on that phone also!

So what did we learn from my brave and heroic test on an iPhone 14 Pro Max?

It sure looks like it is all software related as the same thing happens on the new 48mp camera and the main 12mp camera in phones two generations apart.

I would not return any phone with a camera that clicks loudly using a certain app, as there is nothing wrong with your phone’s hardware, it’s the app that has got to get their act together. I would stop using that app until others report it safe, or after several updates from Apple and the apps in question and try again.

Reactions: Willberj

Elecoxy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Good news! This problem has been fixed on iOS 16.1. I tested it on my 14 pro max, and the clicking noise never happens. You can upgrade and try to see whether it was fixed.

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
I’ve not had the clicking noise but the white noise is still there. Just assuming it’s normal.

Elecoxy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
I’ve not had the clicking noise but the white noise is still there. Just assuming it’s normal.
You are lucky! Because the clicking noise only happened on some productions not all. But the white noise must happen when the iPhone calls the camera hardware because of the camera stable motor.

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
You are lucky! Because the clicking noise only happened on some productions not all. But the white noise must happen when the iPhone calls the camera hardware because of the camera stable motor.
I also didn’t try it with the 3rd party apps for that reason.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I also didn’t try it with the 3rd party apps for that reason.
It clicks, they all clicked if you went out of your way to look for it in those days. It only did it with one camera app (Beastcam) for me - but I don’t really do the social apps straight from the camera. That same app did it with my iPhone 12 Pro Max which only clicked on iOS 16 and Beastcam. There is a lot of OCD around here but this stuff was a legitimate concern.

So to me the single click was a normal phone with crappy software. Let’s hope this is the end of it. BTW, I don’t think a couple of single clicks does any damage at all. It still bothers me cause it was a brand new phone though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.