Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
My iPhone 14 Pro Max is dropping cellular about every 10 min. It is obvious when looking at the status bar, but that is now often hidden while in Always On Display mode.

While at home it has made it so that I had to retry to send text messages after it resolved itself. While at the park I got several “no home hubs are responding” notifications which correspond to a cellular loss of service event. (Without these I may have considered it a UI glitch or just a lagging UI when switching towers or something.)

I feel like I saw something similar with my 11 13 or 13, but I cannot recall for sure. I’m currently running the emergency patch for 16.0.1.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I would like to add that I am also on Verizon. I cannot confirm that this is happening when switching towers as it is happening while I’m stationary at home. We are also line of site to a mini tower that has 5G UW, about 40 yards away.

Further, my wife has the same phone and has the exact same problem.

Not sure if I should be complaining to Verizon or Apple at this point.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
It’s probably has to do with the eSim. I’m in Chicago and haven’t had the best reception in certain areas compared to my wife’s iPhone 12 on the same network. It’s either a modem firmware bug or eSim issue. Regardless I’m calling VZW on Monday to ask they issue me a new eSim.

FedLawClerk

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
It’s probably has to do with the eSim. I’m in Chicago and haven’t had the best reception in certain areas compared to my wife’s iPhone 12 on the same network. It’s either a modem firmware bug or eSim issue. Regardless I’m calling VZW on Monday to ask they issue me a new eSim.
Having the exact same issue on 14 Pro. Happens constantly, sometimes while stationary.

Reactions: richie510

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I am currently working with support.

Apple via chat asked me to delete VPN apps, and that obviously didn’t help. That person also told me to call Verizon about something with the esim.

Verizon support told me to reset network settings. That didn’t help.

First phone advisor was listening to my problem then the call dropped and he apparently could not call me back.

Had to call in to get a less senior advisor. We checked some settings. He also recommended resetting network settings and I informed him that it was tried and didn’t work.

Senior advisor had nothing helpful, but they were concerned with how quickly Verizon pushed me away with their problem resolution. It seems I may have to turn to Verizon again, hopefully escalating to a more senior rep. The senior Apple rep did email me with a way to contact her directly. I am also expecting a list of other things to try, but have not gotten that email yet.

• Wow
Reactions: DrKarl

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
Did you get a new esim? Did it fix the issue?

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
No fix regarding a new eSim. I did call apple support and they did recommend either a full restore via iTunes or waiting till next week when there is a software update. Also mentioned 16.1 will fix a large number of issues so right now it is a waiting game sadly…

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 14 Pro. I tried resetting network settings, but it hasn't helped. Not sure if I need to complain to Apple or Verizon or wait for a software fix.

Anyone have any ideas short of a full reset?

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I just got back from dropping the car off at the dealership 11 miles from my house. They booked me a Lyft home, so I was able to monitor the cellular the whole way home. I had no cellular drops until the Lyft got within 2 blocks of my house.

Places that are giving me trouble:

1. My house
2. My local park 2 blocks from my house
3. My kid's school 0.7 miles from my house
4. My wife's university 2.0 miles from my house

Places that are not giving me trouble

1. Urban freeway
2. Suburbs
3. Surburban Dealership 11 miles from my house

Based on this, I'm suspicious of 2 things.
1. The type of cellular Verizon uses in urban environments is causing problems for the new Qualcomm x65 modem.
2. The Qualcomm x65 modem is succeptible to dense WiFi interference.

This is my only telephone, and with my wife having the same problem, we really need these things to work. I hope I can get Apple to at least acknowledge this issue before I have to send back the 13 pro.

fresh801

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Indiana
I just got back from dropping the car off at the dealership 11 miles from my house. They booked me a Lyft home, so I was able to monitor the cellular the whole way home. I had no cellular drops until the Lyft got within 2 blocks of my house.

Places that are giving me trouble:

1. My house
2. My local park 2 blocks from my house
3. My kid's school 0.7 miles from my house
4. My wife's university 2.0 miles from my house

Places that are not giving me trouble

1. Urban freeway
2. Suburbs
3. Surburban Dealership 11 miles from my house

Based on this, I'm suspicious of 2 things.
1. The type of cellular Verizon uses in urban environments is causing problems for the new Qualcomm x65 modem.
2. The Qualcomm x65 modem is succeptible to dense WiFi interference.

This is my only telephone, and with my wife having the same problem, we really need these things to work. I hope I can get Apple to at least acknowledge this issue before I have to send back the 13 pro.
Very similar issues but with my 14 Pro Max using ATT service

macfixx

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
iPhone 12 Pro Max on T-Mobile with 16 build (20A362) is giving me similar issues. Just reverted from the e-sim to a new SIM card yesterday to try to address it, rather than trying 16.1 beta. But it’s still wonky.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Did some digging on Reddit and finally seeing some chatter about this. The OP seems to have tried everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/xhlu4x
I'm the one that actually made that post on r/Verizon :) it's reassuring to hear that it's more than just me having this issue.

And yeah I have literally tried everything and escalated all the way to the NOC team at Verizon, they came back saying "network is congested" the first time and now I'm waiting to have them get back to me a second time.

In addition however, I also just upgraded my 14 pro max to the newest 16.1 beta that includes new modem firmware and a carrier settings update, so I will also be sure to test out my phone in areas where I was dropping and see if there is any improvement.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm the one that actually made that post on r/Verizon :) it's reassuring to hear that it's more than just me having this issue.

And yeah I have literally tried everything and escalated all the way to the NOC team at Verizon, they came back saying "network is congested" the first time and now I'm waiting to have them get back to me a second time.

In addition however, I also just upgraded my 14 pro max to the newest 16.1 beta that includes new modem firmware and a carrier settings update, so I will also be sure to test out my phone in areas where I was dropping and see if there is any improvement.
I look forward to your report on 16.1!

Reactions: redwings1914

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
I look forward to your report on 16.1!
Alright so it's been roughly a day since I jumped onto the latest 16.1 beta.

I have not been in my usual area of many 5G UW (mmWave) nodes right next to each other, but I have certainly continued to walk to/from work and keep testing cellular coverage from my apartment. I have found that things are mostly the same, although *maybe* this is placebo since I feel like I have not seen my phone drop coverage entirely as much as before. Regardless, my cellular data is still barely usable even in the heart of Chicago on Michigan Avenue where my phone is showing one-two bars of LTE or 5G UW (with constant spectrum switching) and pulling less than 1Mbps on Speedtest.

If anything, I feel like I can better conclude that the X65 modem in the new iPhones is not properly calibrated with Verizon's network and that it needs an update ASAP -- these issues seem to happen less frequently when I force my phone to use LTE coverage or when it's only using 5G (and not mmWave).

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
Alright so it's been roughly a day since I jumped onto the latest 16.1 beta.

I have not been in my usual area of many 5G UW (mmWave) nodes right next to each other, but I have certainly continued to walk to/from work and keep testing cellular coverage from my apartment. I have found that things are mostly the same, although *maybe* this is placebo since I feel like I have not seen my phone drop coverage entirely as much as before. Regardless, my cellular data is still barely usable even in the heart of Chicago on Michigan Avenue where my phone is showing one-two bars of LTE or 5G UW (with constant spectrum switching) and pulling less than 1Mbps on Speedtest.

If anything, I feel like I can better conclude that the X65 modem in the new iPhones is not properly calibrated with Verizon's network and that it needs an update ASAP -- these issues seem to happen less frequently when I force my phone to use LTE coverage or when it's only using 5G (and not mmWave).
Are you on the 16.1 Developer Beta 2, or the Public Beta 1? Based on the timeline, I'm expecting the Public Beta 2 to be released today. Hoping you are on Public Beta 1, and Public Beta 2 will fix all of our issues.

While I'm wishing, I wish Apple support was not useless. Why can't those people tell me that they know there is an issue, and when the issue will be resolved, and how I can resolve it quicker on my own. The only thing Apple support is useful for is authorizing a hardware swap.

Reactions: redwings1914

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Are you on the 16.1 Developer Beta 2, or the Public Beta 1? Based on the timeline, I'm expecting the Public Beta 2 to be released today. Hoping you are on Public Beta 1, and Public Beta 2 will fix all of our issues.

While I'm wishing, I wish Apple support was not useless. Why can't those people tell me that they know there is an issue, and when the issue will be resolved, and how I can resolve it quicker on my own. The only thing Apple support is useful for is authorizing a hardware swap.
Specified this to Richie in a Reddit DM but figured I would put my answer here too for everyone else: I am on 16.1 Developer Beta 2 (aka Public Beta 2 that just dropped) and still experiencing these issues.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I have an update. My cellular dropped a time or two this morning, but I have not had a drop after lunch, even when trying to provoke it. I have done nothing on my end proactively that could solve this like installing beta software, etc. I have also monitored the carrier version and it has not changed. The only difference between now and when I had the problems is that the weather had turned worse (cooler with *some* precipitation).

If this issue has magically disappeared, great. But I’m still frustrated I had to deal with it with (typical) awful support from Apple.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
I have an update. My cellular dropped a time or two this morning, but I have not had a drop after lunch, even when trying to provoke it. I have done nothing on my end proactively that could solve this like installing beta software, etc. I have also monitored the carrier version and it has not changed. The only difference between now and when I had the problems is that the weather had turned worse (cooler with *some* precipitation).

If this issue has magically disappeared, great. But I’m still frustrated I had to deal with it with (typical) awful support from Apple.
I definitely feel like I've noticed less drops but I'm definitely still noticing extremely slow signal and speeds as I switch to/between 5G spectrum. Fingers crossed Apple does eventually update the modem to better handle this.

FedLawClerk

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
Been walking around downtown and signal still regularly dropping. I can’t deal with Verizon or Apple tech support without losing my mind so I’m monitoring the brave souls on this thread to see if there’s any hope.

I would find it hard to believe it’s a manufacturing defect because of the nature and manifestation of this issue, I think the person who called out Verizon’s failure to configure for the new hardware has to be close to the mark. Good luck getting Verizon to address this via customer service calls though.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Been walking around downtown and signal still regularly dropping. I can’t deal with Verizon or Apple tech support without losing my mind so I’m monitoring the brave souls on this thread to see if there’s any hope.

I would find it hard to believe it’s a manufacturing defect because of the nature and manifestation of this issue, I think the person who called out Verizon’s failure to configure for the new hardware has to be close to the mark. Good luck getting Verizon to address this via customer service calls though.
Agreed, Verizon and Apple aren't doing anything to address this through customer service (as I've gone through the gauntlet myself lol). To be fair I got myself a $40 credit, waived upgrade fee, and two LTE extenders ($250 MSRP each) from calling Verizon technical support so while I'm definitely still frustrated I'm hopeful it'll eventually get fixed in the next update or so.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City

Never rely on carrier customer service. They are limited in what they can do other than suggesting a restart or restore. If there truly is a problem with the tower that is handled by their engineering team, and more often than not, a third-party contracted linesman.

Apple support is the best place to go because if they cannot remedy this issue they will absolutely share these technical issues with the software and hardware engineering teams to investigate in addition to pulling device logs from your specific device, albeit anonymously, of course😉

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Why do so many people torture themselves by insisting on purchasing cell phones right after release?
This is an ongoing problem with the industry and has been going on fo over 30 years.
Know what? There should either be laws against companies being able to release hardware to the public until they are certain that the stuff will work satisfactorily. If people just refused to buy the stuff until all the bugs could be ironed out, we all wouldn't have these stressful issues to begin with.
Yes I would like to purchase an iphone 14. But after decades of dealing with lousy releases of not only cell phones but everything digital, I have come to realize that what I've got now is still good and will be for a few months until I feel confident that the new stuff is going to work.

BTW, having worked in customer service myself several years ago, I can confidently state that a customer service or tech support rep is more often than not, the last person you want to talk to when you have a problem.

• Wow
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.