Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
Why do so many people torture themselves by insisting on purchasing cell phones right after release?
This is an ongoing problem with the industry and has been going on fo over 30 years.
Know what? There should either be laws against companies being able to release hardware to the public until they are certain that the stuff will work satisfactorily. If people just refused to buy the stuff until all the bugs could be ironed out, we all wouldn't have these stressful issues to begin with.
Yes I would like to purchase an iphone 14. But after decades of dealing with lousy releases of not only cell phones but everything digital, I have come to realize that what I've got now is still good and will be for a few months until I feel confident that the new stuff is going to work.

BTW, having worked in customer service myself several years ago, I can confidently state that a customer service or tech support rep is more often than not, the last person you want to talk to when you have a problem.
I have gotten a launch day iPhone every year since the 3Gs. This year gave me the most trouble I have ever had, and it was a minor annoyance for me. It was a bit harder for my wife trying to multitask on campus. To me, threads like these are less about complaining, and more about sharing the knowledge so one less person has to sit on the phone or just be wondering if they are the only one with the problem.

Torture would be sacrificing a whole week/month of not having that sweet new 48MP camera and the Dynamic Island.

When it comes to support, I want to clarify that I have no animosity towards the people who did try to help me. I harbor all of my criticism for Apple who does not train these people for much more than helping seniors setup their email or being someone to talk to until the software fix is released. I also blame Apple for not giving the support staff valuable information about known bugs that are affecting small numbers of people that currently have development working on a patch. If the person on the phone could have told me "a patch is coming" I would have been 100% ok.

Apple likely shipped like 10 Million iPhone generation 14 phones in the past week. The people getting launch day/week iPhones are likely a pretty tech savvy bunch. There are not that many complaining about this specific problem on the internet, so I feel pretty confident that it is not being experienced by even 0.1% of this 10 Million. Granted, the camera shake thing is pretty annoying bug, but not exactly debilitating.

If there was a law against releasing hardware until a company was certain there were no bugs we would have no more hardware releases. Further, the software updates on these devices are constantly adding new features and fixing bugs... for free. This constant improvement is not something I want to sacrifice to remove some launch week annoyances. If you seek bug free software and hardware, I think you will not find much besides a "hello world" program and a hammer.

redwings1914

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Dear god please have 16.0.2 fix this - my 14 PM is nearly unusable off of wifi in Chicago on Verizon...

Update: Carrier settings and Modem Firmware are the same after updating

Modem: 1.00.05

Carrier: 51.0.2

Update 2: Still having the same issues as before with dropping down to No Service then SOS only...this is ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: richie510

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Per redwings' last reply, just wanted to make another comment stating that iOS 16.0.2 **does not** fix the cellular issues mentioned in this thread. I'll probably hang on to the 16.1 beta and keep my fingers crossed for modem/carrier firmware updates there for now -- of course feel free to reply to this thread if you're experiencing any luck remediating these issues!

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
My signal (4G and 5G) is far better on my 14 PM than it was on my 12 PM. Used to barely get two bars of 4G in our spare room, and now I get a consistent three bars of 5G in exactly the same spot. It’s one of the biggest improvements for me.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
As the second poster in this thread, with my issues originating in Chicago (now back in KC), I am wondering if there is a bigger issue with VZW in Chicago. There’s about four of us here in the forum that have similar issues (exact same phones, carrier, and location). Now, there are other posters in thread forum who have mentioned other big cities, but something must really be going on in Chicago with Verizon which is very odd considering that is one of their strongest markets in addition to NYC.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Dear god please have 16.0.2 fix this - my 14 PM is nearly unusable off of wifi in Chicago on Verizon...

Update 2: Still having the same issues as before with dropping down to No Service then SOS only...this is ridiculous
It's irritating as hell, and I, too, am on Verizon in Chicago. I'm having dropped calls and having the cellular connection go out and take forever to reestablish itself in the midst of text conversations. It's pretty constant.

jsmitty515

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
I have been having the same issue. While frustrating, it is reassuring to know I am not the only one. I HATE exchanging phones. LOL Guess I will sit tight for 16.1 and hopefully that helps. Also on Verizon.

Nj1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
I spoke to Verizon tier 2 support and they finally acknowledged the issue. The rep informed me that a fix will be implemented soon but she us not sure of the timeline. I was given a case number and was told to expect an email once the issue is resolved. I am not sure I believe the email part. I’ve noticed my iphone 14 pro is a bit more stable now and fluctuates less but still it happens way too often. Never had any issues w/ iphone 13 pro.

Reactions: DoctorApple

jeffUM

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2015
Michigan
Another Chicagoan on Verizon, lakeview area, same issues as everyone describes. Thought I was the only one for a while because initial googling on and around launch day didn’t pull up the same issues.

Cautiously hopeful re: Verizon acknowledging fixes are in the works…

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.

My esim 13PM was the same when on LTE.

AppleEnthusiast1995

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2022
From what I have heard, Verizon is switching infrastructure over to Macrocells and quoted "growing pains" for cellular customers. I have had constant cellular issues all over with Verizon on my iPhone 11. Hoping they fix it soon.

Reactions: DoctorApple

Nj1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
I thought the service was getting more stable but went out for a walk today and the 14 pro was unable to maintain connection for more than a minute or so. It kept fluctuating from 5Guw, to 5G, LTE etc. incredibly frustrating. I am planning on reactivating my iphone 13 pro and will return the 14 pro. I will only repurchase once this issue has been resolved, if it is resolved. Not feeling confident anymore.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Just figured I’d put an update here and say that I’m still running into the same issues as before — hoping that the continued comments from everyone experiencing issues spur Verizon and/or Apple to make a statement on this, so let’s just keep spreading awareness on these issues and hope a resolution comes soon 🤞

(As I’ve said before I’m in downtown Chicago and I’m getting the same issues even on the latest 16.1 beta)

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I was having the same problem on 3 13 Pro max phones on Verizon/T-Mobile. I think I solved it by setting up two of them as new. The third is still having this problem on T-Mobile. Today I reset all settings on that phone, not sure if it's helped yet. I bought all three in August.

richie510

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I wanted to share my final status here. The problem has completely disappeared for both my iPhone 14 PM and my wife's iPhone 14 PM on Verizon. My last cellular drop was on Thursday September 22 in the afternoon, and on that day I had only 1 drop. I am running iOS 16.0.2, and my Modem Firmware is still 1.00.05 and the Carrier is still "Verizon 51.0.2".

This leads me to believe that the issue is on the Verizon side, and that Verizon some how resolved the issue in Denver. I hope they can take that knowledge and apply it to Chicago.

Reactions: redwings1914

jsmitty515

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
I have been seeing people suggest a hard reset and then set the phone up as "new". I am trying to avoid this at all cost but if that is what it takes, so be it. Has anyone had luck with this resolution here?

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
I have been seeing people suggest a hard reset and then set the phone up as "new". I am trying to avoid this at all cost but if that is what it takes, so be it. Has anyone had luck with this resolution here?
I tried this solution before and it did not fix the issue. Still haven't had a chance to test drive how it works in the new 16.1 beta though

Nj1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
Looks like we got another modem firmware update with iOS 16.1 developer beta 3 -- 1.13.00 modem and Verizon 52.0, as always I'll test it out and let y'all know if I see any noticeable improvements :)
Noticed any improvements when using the ios 16.1 beta? Thank you.

redwings1914

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
I’ve been on 16.1 beta 3 for about a day now and I can say that I haven’t had the cellular cycle to SOS yet. Noticeable improvements in this beta!
Can also confirm - in my neighborhood (Chicago - Lakeview) the issue seems to have subsided with 16.1 Beta 3!!

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Figured I would finally provide an update -- After using iOS 16.1 Beta 3 for just over two days now, I have noticed an improvement in coverage/cellular spectrum switching. That said, I do still notice considerably slower speeds in some areas compared to what I noticed in the past, so I will continue to monitor things from that standpoint.

Happy to see that they are working on cellular improvements during the beta period though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.