Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
I wanted to share my final status here. The problem has completely disappeared for both my iPhone 14 PM and my wife's iPhone 14 PM on Verizon. My last cellular drop was on Thursday September 22 in the afternoon, and on that day I had only 1 drop. I am running iOS 16.0.2, and my Modem Firmware is still 1.00.05 and the Carrier is still "Verizon 51.0.2".

This leads me to believe that the issue is on the Verizon side, and that Verizon some how resolved the issue in Denver. I hope they can take that knowledge and apply it to Chicago.
im in denver with a 14 PM on Verizon and have never had any issues from launch day on with cell connectivity in fact it has been better for me then on my 13 PM

Nj1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
Has anyone noticed a stable cellular connection on 16.1? Any updates would be appreciated.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
Has anyone noticed a stable cellular connection on 16.1? Any updates would be appreciated.
Updated to the most recent 16.1 beta yesterday and I'm still getting dropping/extremely slow data on 5G, going to LTE only seems to help but I definitely see all of the spectrum switching it's doing on 5G <-> mmWave <-> LTE.

xtac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Is this an issue with verizon or the iPhone 14 pro / esim in general? I feel like switching carriers but afraid it won't fix the issue.

Nj1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
Updated to the most recent 16.1 beta yesterday and I'm still getting dropping/extremely slow data on 5G, going to LTE only seems to help but I definitely see all of the spectrum switching it's doing on 5G <-> mmWave <-> LTE.
Thank you for the update--it is appreciated. It’s incredible that neither Verizon nor Apple has acknowledged this ongoing issue.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
iOS 16.0.3 just dropped with a change in modem firmware in comparison to 16.0.2 -- definitely interested to hear if anyone that has updated to that version on an iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max has a better experience with their cellular data dropping and such

Reactions: PapaPanny

xtac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
I had two very important calls drop, my bars literally went to zero. I even put it on LTE mode, still no go. Latest beta.
I don't know if its just verizon or not, but i regret upgrading to the 14 pro from the 13 pro. Reminds me of the whole your holding it wrong saga.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
I had two very important calls drop, my bars literally went to zero. I even put it on LTE mode, still no go. Latest beta.
I don't know if its just verizon or not, but i regret upgrading to the 14 pro from the 13 pro. Reminds me of the whole your holding it wrong saga.
Latest beta definitely introduced some changes that seem to have destablized things even more, curious though how the modem firmware in today's released 16.0.3 performs since that is more of a hot fix firmware compared to what they're developing in beta.

xtac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Latest beta definitely introduced some changes that seem to have destablized things even more, curious though how the modem firmware in today's released 16.0.3 performs since that is more of a hot fix firmware compared to what they're developing in beta.
The latest modem firmware in the beta is 1.13.01, and in the .3 update its 1.00.08. I want to try it since I am desperate but than I'd have to reset everything and that is such a pain.

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
The latest modem firmware in the beta is 1.13.01, and in the .3 update its 1.00.08. I want to try it since I am desperate but than I'd have to reset everything and that is such a pain.
I'm likely gonna try it because why not soooo unless I hear from others on this forum/reddit that it doesn't help things, I'll let you know haha 😂

Reactions: xtac

nintendoway

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
Chicago, IL
So any update? Did you make the jump?
I did make the jump and I've been on iOS 16.0.3 now since around 6PM CST -- so far, I don't want to jinx it - but I have noticed my phone use Wi-Fi Calling a lot more than it was before and I have not seen the cellular drop completely like it was doing before on 16.1 beta (maybe have seen it drop once or twice OVERALL, granted I had to restore to 16.0.2 before updating to 16.0.3).

Overall I'd say this is a good sign so far but I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2017
iPhone 14 Pro on T-Mobile in NYC on iOS 16.0.3. My phone is unusable. Cellular keeps dropping as soon as it’s established. Sometimes it’s able to stay for a few minutes during non-intensive use (web browsing while charging) when I’m stationary. Reset network settings but that didn’t solve anything.

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
I have a 14 Pro on Verizon, after my first day with 16.0.3, it seems like it may be a bit worse than 16.0.2 with regards to cellular connectivity -- certainly it isn't fixed. Still experiencing ~10-20 second dropouts on voice calls driving through areas where I previously (i.e., a few months ago on my 11 pro) had no problems, as well as a dropped calls.

PapaPanny

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
im in denver with a 14 PM on Verizon and have never had any issues from launch day on with cell connectivity in fact it has been better for me then on my 13 PM
In Boston and the same. My wife and I have the same 14 pro max iphone and standing next to each other she will have 4 bars and I will have 1. How is that even possible. Cell calls drop on Verizon drop repeatedly. Thought to change carriers but doesn’t seem to be what’s wrong. Could these new modems be crapping out on us???

Last edited:

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Having similar issues with my iPhone 14 Pro Max on T-Mobile.

For example, today, I left my house and drove towards the highway (about 3 miles away). Directly outside my house, I normally get 1-2 bars of LTE. Normally, when I get about halfway to the highway, my 1-2 bar LTE signal turns to 1-2 bar 5Guc, and by the time I reach the highway it's a full 4 bars of 5Guc because there's a tower right next to the highway entrance.

However, my experience today was that my phone showed SOS directly outside my house. When I reached the halfway point (where my phone normally hops from LTE to 5Guc), my phone instead showed 2 bars of EDGE service. By the time I reached the highway, it was full 4 bars of EDGE. I pulled over, toggled airplane mode, and the iPhone seemed to snap out of it and showed full bars of 5Guc with 800Mbps download speeds. So, clearly not a tower issue.

I haven't fully documented past issues like this, but it's this sort of thing I keep running into. Off the top of my head, another example, last week I was staying at an AirBnB and noticed that when I first got there, I had full bars of 5Guc. I remember being happy about that. About an hour later, my phone stopped being able to load anything and I noticed I was only on 2 bars of LTE. Toggled airplane mode, and the full/working 5Guc signal came back and the issue did not repeat.

Frustrating to have to keep an eye on my phone when not on Wi-Fi to make sure it's still got a working signal, or else I could miss something potentially important, as I notice SMS/calling even has issues during these failures.

EDIT: I should note, last week my iPhone was on iOS 16.1 and today it is on 16.2 (installed the beta to see if a modem or carrier version bump would help with regard to these issues). So, the issue seems to persist regardless of version, for me.

jonnyicebiker

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Similar but different issues here. I have a 14 Pro Max and my wife has a 14 Pro. We are both on Verizon. We can have full bars of 5G and have zero connectivity. When out with friends who both have 12's, sitting at the same table at dinner, they had full service and we had none, despite full bars of 5G. Same exact issues in both Minneapolis and Austin, TX so far.

spacemanjupiter

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Just got a 14 Pro Max. This thing is garbage. I’m just sitting at home and lose my cellular and data out of the blue. Turning cellular off and on does nothing. I have to reboot it. I know for a fact it is the phone because my old 8 Plus does just fine and so does my roommates 8. I should never have spent money on this garbage but now I can’t take it back. My 8 plus is infinitely easier to use one handed. Which idiots at Apple decided to get rid of Touch ID? Which idiots at Apple decided to not at least provide a virtual bottom bezel? Which idiots at Apple made the decisions to get rid of who knows how many great features we used to have and now don’t? It is almost mind boggling.

RickWilliams

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
Just adding my experience here - the same as many of you, but I am on a
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iOS 16.1.1
  • Modem Firmware 4.00.00
  • Verizon 52.0
I work downtown Chicago in the Gold Coast neighborhood and every day I have to reboot my phone when I walk out the door because it is locked in SOS mode. EVERY.DAMN.DAY.

On weekends, I'm home in the south suburbs and no problems. No reboot necessary.

I work with other engineers on other networks, ie: T-Mobile, AT&T and they do not experience this problem. One if on a iPhone 14 PM and the other is on an iPhone 11 as well.

Leads me to believe this is a Verizon thing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.