Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The AOD is the one feature that would be the first thing I disable in settings. I doubt it’s coming to any device other than the Pro models though. I wear an Apple Watch so it’s a bit of a pointless feature for me.
Agreed. I'm still going to have mine turned off as well as I have a watch so it's pretty pointless feature.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It would be a fair statement though considering what AOD did to the Apple Watch. It wrecked the battery on my series 5 and I ended up having to disable it to get the watch to last until bedtime.
Hasn't been the case at all for me. AOD always on, ~1 hour of workouts most days, lots of Siri usage to send texts and set reminders. I don't even remotely get close to low battery when I put it on the charger at night.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Clayton630

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
essentially this is the final product of the new Lock Screen and AOD design for iPhone 14 Pro series.

Edit: added more mockup pics for your visualization. THESE ARE AS ACCURATE AS IT GETS, this is the real deal folks. This is it.
It looks very good ! And how will the status bar look like when you’re not on the Lock Screen ? Will it become like the current one or will the carrier name be replaced by the time ?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Damn, I’m really loving apples take on AOD. When I first heard about it I was like that’s not enough to get me to upgrade, but this looks so slick and actually useful
For me it’s the contrary, I would have liked to have the option of no screen background on the AOD, just the clock, the top status indicator, and the notifications. But I guess that’s too Androidy for Apple.

Reactions: LizKat

anonymous-A.S

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
It looks very good ! And how will the status bar look like when you’re not on the Lock Screen ? Will it become like the current one or will the carrier name be replaced by the time ?
When unlocked:
-Time, Focus and Location indicator on left
-Signal strength, data connection, battery and percentage on right.

It’ll basically remain *almost* untouched while unlocked, minus a few minor differences like spacing, battery percentage, etc.

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I don't know what to make of it... Looks cool, but why would you need to see the entire wallpaper on AOD instead of just the basic information? It will glow at night more than as if it was just displaying time, battery etc. + I'm wondering about the impact on battery life (and the display, but I think this should not be an issue by now). Seems a bit overcooked to me (as if Apple was trying to make up for all the years when they didn't offer that feature while the competition did)

Reactions: JM and B_mark_R

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
love this look for AOD. for me a better version than what we have seen so far. to have your wallpaper still there I think is great. while still having it dark and ok for no burn in.

I believe widgets will be visible for a about 10 secs same with notifications?

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't know what to make of it... Looks cool, but why would you need to see the entire wallpaper on AOD instead of just the basic information? It will glow at night more than as if it was just displaying time, battery etc. + I'm wondering about the impact on battery life (and the display, but I think this should not be an issue by now). Seems a bit overcooked to me (as if Apple was trying to make up for all the years when they didn't offer that feature while the competition did)
not like you can't have a separate wallpaper for at night though. with focus modes you can switch different wallpapers so for me I think this would work well.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hasn't been the case at all for me. AOD always on, ~1 hour of workouts most days, lots of Siri usage to send texts and set reminders. I don't even remotely get close to low battery when I put it on the charger at night.

It’s been the case for both the Series 5’s I’ve owned and for people I personally know with watches that have the feature. It’s also a regular complaint on this forum so consider yourself very lucky if you’ve not had an issue with it

Clayton630

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
Why would anyone drain the battery without benefit? ”While I'm sleeping, I'll be having sweet dreams knowing my iPhone is looking so cool...”?
You won’t have to enable it if you don’t won’t to but the what’s great is that it will almost not drain battery at all while letting you watch time, date, your widgets and notifications

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
I just hope they can bring this feature to the iPhone 13 pro series. I don’t understand why they can’t tune the hardware in this series down to 1 hz… or at least apply some limitation, idk. Obviously they wouldn’t want to give this feature to older iPhones so they can sell the 14…

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
You won’t have to enable it if you don’t won’t to
Thank you for letting me know that, I had no idea. Joke aside, we haven't seen the public sales pitch yet, so who knows?

... what’s great is that it will almost not drain battery at all while letting you watch time, date, your widgets and notifications
Again, how do we know that? Judging by Android phones? Of course, the battery will drain, the question is how much.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Useful feature but don’t read to much into this as it may not be as configurable as everyone wants

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
This is just lock screen in a sleep mode with the brightness down. It cannot be AOD because of the burn in.

We all know what AOD is. Give us just a little clock with notifications that shifts all around the screen to prevent burn in and we’re fine. Static wallpaper will burn that screen, not to mention battery drain.

This cannot be true. This is so not-Apple.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
As a person using two LG V60 Androids in obsolescence already, I don't miss my 13 Pro Max. I missed my 11 Pro Max but I won't be buying a 14 anything.

I started with android and it's amusing how they introduced nothing new. Never do. Just trouble for me with keeping service. "Just works" hasn't been a motto Apple can use for ages but if it's $100-$500 more people will still buy it though.
5a373878f3d50f049d8175a8e860f191.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Yup. My thoughts, too.

AOD makes sense on Apple Watch because you want to be able to see the time at all… uhh…. times.

But iPhones are in pockets, purses, etc. Why on… 🤦‍♂️… earth does anyone need to see the wallpaper at all times?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It’s been the case for both the Series 5’s I’ve owned and for people I personally know with watches that have the feature. It’s also a regular complaint on this forum so consider yourself very lucky if you’ve not had an issue with it

I've bought a new watch every year since AOD was introduced. Never have turned it off and have never had battery issues.

But iPhones are in pockets, purses, etc. Why on… 🤦‍♂️… earth does anyone need to see the wallpaper at all times?

I don't want to see the wallpaper. It would be nice to see the widgets and time. My phone is sitting next to me on the desk the majority of the time, not in my pocket, now that I WFH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.