Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LewisB1979

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
South East, England
I've said it in another thread...

Nightstand. This does away with alarm clocks.

I want a dim clock on my phone (that changes position to prevent burn-in).

My Pixel does this well and with some timed lockscreens and focus mode, I hope the iP14P will, too.

All those saying it's pointless, maybe to you, but not to other people on the planet 😉.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Why would anyone drain the battery without benefit? ”While I'm sleeping, I'll be having sweet dreams knowing my iPhone is looking so cool...”?

You won’t have to enable it if you don’t won’t to but the what’s great is that it will almost not drain battery at all while letting you watch time, date, your widgets and notifications

....which I don't do at all while sleeping, and minimize while awake just by turning the phone face down. My gear is meant to serve me, not the other way around, whether it costs a dollar ninety-eight or a thousand bucks. And so when I'm not using the phone all I see is its shiny back in a clear case lol.

So it's pretty clear that I just don't get the appeal of AOD, and I'm pleased to hear there's an option to disable it.
But I'm happy for all those who are thrilled about it. Always good to have something one is thrilled about when we're coming up to an iPhone release. This time around for me it might be that it sounds like an iPhone 13 at refurb prices might be a very fine replacement indeed for my aging XR. I could end up thrilled by that!

Reactions: AlixSPQR

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Not sure that I would care much honestly, as I have an Apple Watch with an AOD and that's the device I receive the immediate notifications on and glance on for time and other information.

AOD might have been cooler if they had done it when the competition was doing it, like what, over a decade ago?

Right now it feels like an afterthought...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My family members that inherited my watches are using them the same way with no issues.

Interesting that myself, friends and family, not to mention the people on threads here have had such rotten luck.

My 26 month old Apple Watch S5 battery health:

3008c16ddb3811efa6a7c7a1e1312b33.jpg

The first Watch I had for 3 months lost 5% battery health in that time. My colleagues launch day S5 is on 79% and dies by the evening. Mine now lasts all day with AOD disabled but won’t make it past 19:30pm when enabled. If it’s nothing at all to do with this feature, why is the performance directly affected whether it’s on or off?

I’m sure the iPhone version will be better, however my experience with 2 watches using AOD hasn’t been the most positive.

• Sad

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I've always desired this feature. I charge my iPhone overnight on a stand wireless charger on my night table. Every time I want to know the time I have to tap the screen. With the 14pm I will no longer need to do this. Always on display will be awesome. I'm hoping you can set it during certain times too. Like when focus is on while I sleep.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Interesting that myself, friends and family, not to mention the people on threads here have had such rotten luck.

My 26 month old Apple Watch S5 battery health:

The first Watch I had for 3 months lost 5% battery health in that time. My colleagues launch day S5 is on 79% and dies by the evening. Mine now lasts all day with AOD disabled but won’t make it past 19:30pm when enabled. If it’s nothing at all to do with this feature, why is the performance directly affected whether it’s on or off?

I’m sure the iPhone version will be better, however my experience with 2 watches using AOD hasn’t been the most positive.

I wonder if it's somehow tied to some app that's chewing through the battery. I feel like I use my watch pretty frequently throughout the day with workouts, calls, reminders, timers, etc. The only time I ever see the low power warning at 10% is when I forgot to charge it overnight and I'm wearing it the next day.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Note 10+ here. I have AOD off. It just doesn't offer any utility to me and all it can do is divert my eyes to the phone even more. Which is already an unhealthy addiction.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
With the XR phone I actually use as a smartphone, I generally have it face down on the table next to my laptop. With the old SE that I use upstairs to play audiobooks, well... generally I sleep through the night and even have to rewind the current audiobook because a 15-minute timer setting is optimistic. If I do wake in the night I'm liable to just pick up the phone anyway to give that audiobook another shot at boring me.

Either way AOD seems unnecessary for the downstairs iPhone and once I go upstairs for the night I don't care what time it is until dawn.

[ LOL yeah Apple must not love me for being such a laggard between hardware upgrades, but then I have my issues with Apple too, and they're not about display features, they're mostly to do with desktop apps like Books and Music getting dumbed down to iOS levels. ]

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Either way AOD seems unnecessary for the downstairs iPhone and once I go upstairs for the night I don't care what time it is until dawn.

If you have a sleep focus the screen goes off during then. I don't need the screen on when I'm asleep.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is if the clock and widgets move around the screen to prevent burn-in like is done on Android devices that have had AOD for years? Or has Apple fixed these to a single location and we will see threads in 9 months complaining OLED panels are damaged?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is if the clock and widgets move around the screen to prevent burn-in like is done on Android devices that have had AOD for years? Or has Apple fixed these to a single location and we will see threads in 9 months complaining OLED panels are damaged?

They said they fixed it and it doesn’t need to move around. I watched it on a YouTube review, can’t remember which one though.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I didn’t like the lock screen at first cause I thought it was too bright. I changed my mind. I like the implementation now and focus for turning it off at night is perfect.

Clayton630

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
I don’t remember where I saw it but I think brightness shifts a little sometimes and apparently, this added to the 1hz refresh rate would be preventing burn in

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.