Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As someone whose devices are seldom higher than 50% display brightness when I'm indoors, I've never understood why every new devices boasts about more nits of max brightness as an improvement.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Will be great because I took pictures on vacations with my 14 Pro and with the sun I couldn't even see what I was framing 😅

Reactions: arkitect

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
When phones are way more powerful than the computers we used years ago, will they only be able to be used as phones still or can we finally have what the android has been doing for years where you can run your phone as a pretty decent computer with movable windows and all that? Or does apple know better what their consumers want?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Maybe they should consider more copper for better heat dissipation like the new iPad Pro? 🤔
Oooh, liquid cool it. …better yet just have a stint installed in your forearm artery flowing into the coolant system, to offload that hardware and keep the device as thin as possible. Plus, that way any remaining overheating issues are the users fault.

jbattan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Oregon
I could really use a brighter screen, since I'm in bright sunlight much of the time.
Basic question though: when is the phone using SDR brightness vs HDR brightness?

Reactions: Smittywerben

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
If you've got a bright and colorful wallpaper, turning up your screen's brightness is also a great way to have a secondary flashlight on your phone at night. :p

danny1305

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2018
As someone whose devices are seldom higher than 50% display brightness when I'm indoors, I've never understood why every new devices boasts about more nits of max brightness as an improvement.
You have to remember…you aren’t the only one in the world. There are others on this planet that use this phone too…

Reactions: Smittywerben

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
Because it's important under sunlight, I feel like even my series 9 watch could use higher brightness than 2000nits under sun.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
Let me guess.

1. 20% brighter.
  2. A18 Pro Chip, with AI on device capabilities
  3. Bezel that's 1mm thinner
  4. Cameras 1mm wider
... And thats a wrap. Sounds boring to me. I might go with the Pixel 8 pro or the S24 Ultra for my next upgrade.

There's always:

1. Magnetic USB-C ports/cords
2. Under display or side button finger print reader (like on iPad Air)
3. Thicker battery to make the camera flush with the rest of the phone so it's not so ugly.
4. Mini-Led display to increase brightness.
5. 45W max charging (vs. 30).

I literally thought of 5 ways to make the iPhone better in 10 minutes. Apple has an entire year and can't even come up with more than a few minor changes.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I’m actually not surprised, coming from an iPhone 13 (non pro) to 15 pro max the screen is not as bright outdoors as I’d expect for a flagship. I get the phone gets hot and much rather have a working phone but an improvement is welcomed.

joeypore

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
The only thing I want in the 16 Pro is lossless support for AirPods Pro 2 w/ USB-C like the Vision Pro has.
Otherwise I’m keeping my 15 Pro.

Reactions: Bluninja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.