Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black_Torch15

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
I'm very happy about this. My iPhone 13 looks like the screen is literally turned off in direct sunlight, it's absolutely terrible lol

Also, it does not need a Tandem OLED to be brighter... The iphone is doing what the new iPad brightness is doing without having TOLED, so I don't get why Apple said they needed TOLED to reach that level of brightness when the iPhone already does with just 1 OLED? lol

Reactions: Smittywerben

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
Let me guess.

1. 20% brighter.
  2. A18 Pro Chip, with AI on device capabilities
  3. Bezel that's 1mm thinner
  4. Cameras 1mm wider
... And thats a wrap. Sounds boring to me. I might go with the Pixel 8 pro or the S24 Ultra for my next upgrade.

There's always:

1. Magnetic USB-C ports/cords
2. Under display or side button finger print reader (like on iPad Air)
3. Thicker battery to make the camera flush with the rest of the phone so it's not so ugly.
4. Mini-Led display to increase brightness.
5. 45W max charging (vs. 30).

I literally thought of 5 ways to make the iPhone better in 10 minutes. Apple has an entire year and can't even come up with more than a few minor changes.
Everything seems to be a small sidegrade for 16's, maybe if they brought 48MP telephoto instead of the useless ultrawide upgrade it would be tempting because iPhone is behind every android phone in zoom.
Pixel 8 pro's chip is just way too slow for a flagship, S24 ultra on the other hand is very close to 15PM, sometimes even faster.
Mini led backlight is for LCD display not OLED and we are probably not gonna see micro led till iPhone 20/21 and that's best case scenario.

Reactions: NetMage

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
I'm very happy about this. My iPhone 13 looks like the screen is literally turned off in direct sunlight, it's absolutely terrible lol

Also, it does not need a Tandem OLED to be brighter... The iphone is doing what the new iPad brightness is doing without having TOLED, so I don't get why Apple said they needed TOLED to reach that level of brightness when the iPhone already does with just 1 OLED? lol
Probably the screen size difference. Ultra 2 can reach 3000nits on a 2.1inch display, high end monitor/TV's are struggling to reach even 1000nits.

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
Except it tends to be killing for your battery.
Not really because auto brightness exist. you shouldn't see higher brightness unless it's HDR content (even then it's individual pixels not the screen) or you are outside with sunlight.

MarkDeMoss

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Brighter is a selling point for me, however so would darker. I wish the display could be lowered even more while night browsing. There's some messy ways to get around this such as turning it into grayscale with no color, no blue light which makes it messed up appearance wise. I wish they'd say how dark these new devices get through standard quick settings.

I find this to be a bigger problem though with my Samsung QLED TVs, the lowest brightness setting for when you're getting near bedtime is still brighter than I'd like. It's one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to a newer TV. They mention how much brighter it is in Nits but they never say how dark it can get. Looking at you Sony Bravia 7, 8 & 9.

Reactions: Lyrics23

MarkDeMoss

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Probably the screen size difference. Ultra 2 can reach 3000nits on a 2.1inch display, high end monitor/TV's are struggling to reach even 1000nits.
Monitors yes, but modern TVs are now getting way past 1000 nits, some even reaching 10,000 nits for the 98"+ larger variants. Sony switching from OLED to Mini-LED for their flagship TV (Bravia 9 vs 8) is an example of things getting very bright. Mobile devices make sense to be this bright because you go outside, but TVs are mostly indoors.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
I would rather Apple add a few millimeters in thickness and put a larger, longer lasting battery in their devices.
Just make the rest of the case flush with the camera bump, and you could cram a battery twice the size inside!

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Monitors yes, but modern TVs are now getting way past 1000 nits, some even reaching 10,000 nits for the 98"+ larger variants. Sony switching from OLED to Mini-LED for their flagship TV (Bravia 9 vs 8) is an example of things getting very bright. Mobile devices make sense to be this bright because you go outside, but TVs are mostly indoors.
10,000 nits sure, spread over a surface area about 500 times larger than a phone screen! Also at least $10,000 for a display that size!

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
Well there is no fear of burn in on LCD with mini led backlight. LCD is also inefficient for smartphone/smartwatches with limited battery.

Reactions: Populus

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Not really because auto brightness exist. you shouldn't see higher brightness unless it's HDR content (even then it's individual pixels not the screen) or you are outside with sunlight.
Except auto-brightness is far from perfect and in bright sunlight there's a noticeable hit on battery life. With Apple hardly increasing the battery capacity (sometimes even reducing it) a brighter screen could have a negative trade-off. I’ve noticed this especially with my iPhone 14 Pro: its battery life is absolutely atrocious when the screen is running at full brightness with auto-brightness enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

organisum

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2014
Most of the recent aurora shots I took with my iPhone 15 Pro have a concentric bullseye artifact, dead center. Tired of new features when basic problems are left unfixed. My dedicated cameras did not have this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 21

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
The issue is it needs to be 20% dimmer at it's lowest setting, not brighter at its highest

TheMountainLife

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
This benefits people like me that use privacy screen protectors as they affect overall brightness but like everyone else mentioned its pointless if the screen is just going to dim anyway while being mounted in the car or walking around outside in daylight.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
Bright is wonderful, but also I want better dark room controls - sometimes I have a bout of insomnia and read on my phone (yeah I know, blue light is bad), but even at its dimmest with reduce white point turned on it's still a bit blinding.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
Isn’t peak outdoor brightness of the 15 pro 2000 nits?

Having an Apple Watch ultra 2, which has a 3000 nits peak brightness (when not throttled) I’m convinced that if I had a phone that COULD do 3000 nits peak outdoor I would NEVER have a problem reading anything.

I have an S24 U that does 2600 and it’s VERY good in those conditions, but the AWU2, which is also OLED at peak brightness is just beautiful

Reactions: Digital Dude
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.