Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's an iPhone 17 rumor frenzy this week courtesy of Jeff Pu, an analyst who has sources within Apple's supply chain in Asia.

iPhone-17-Pro-Max-Smaller-Dynamic-Island-Feature-1.jpg

While the iPhone 16 lineup is still months away from being announced, rumors about the two-generations-away iPhone lineup typically begin to surface about a year-and-a-half before launch. For example, almost exactly a year ago, we learned that the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max will have larger 6.3-inch and 6.9-inch displays, respectively.

12GB of RAM

In a research note with investment firm Haitong, Pu said the iPhone 17 Pro and Pro Max will be equipped with 12GB of RAM. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro models have 8GB of RAM, and the iPhone 16 Pro models are also expected to have 8GB of RAM. The increase would contribute to improved performance for multitasking on the iPhone.

The alleged RAM amounts across the iPhone 17 lineup:

• iPhone 17: 8GB
  • iPhone 17 Slim: 8GB
  • iPhone 17 Pro: 12GB
  • iPhone 17 Pro Max: 12GB

How that compares to the iPhone 15 lineup:

• iPhone 15: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Plus: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro: 8GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max: 8GB

Narrower Dynamic Island on Pro Max

Pu said the iPhone 17 Pro Max will feature a "much narrowed Dynamic Island" as a result of the device adopting a smaller "metalens" for the Face ID system.

This would be the first size reduction for the Dynamic Island since its iPhone 14 Pro debut.

Article Link: iPhone 17 Pro Rumors: 12GB RAM, Narrower Dynamic Island for Pro Max

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Pu said the iPhone 17 Pro Max will feature a "much narrowed Dynamic Island" as a result of the device adopting a smaller "metalens" for the Face ID system.
Weird... it's almost like the whole Dynamic Island thing was only put in place to hide the holes and not because Apple really believed it was a feature that would improve the UI. Go figure. 🙄

Ilde

macrumors member
May 4, 2022
This is becoming quite annoying. I left Oneplus devices because its 6 months new phone launching did not help to decide when get one of the models (you can wait five months, for sure). This hunger for what is coming causes what is used to be called "anxiety".
Yea, yea, yea, I know what some of you will tell me...

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So tired of the regular size Pro getting the short end of the stick. I thought all that would be over when the X was released.
I was under the impression that Apple would never release an iOS version that supports a Pro Max but not the regular Pro from the same year...

But I guess I just made that up, because thus far, Apple has never dropped support for any Pro or Pro Max yet, and they never said anything regarding supporting them differently from any other devices.

IDK, the Pro Max has a larger screen, so isn't it reasonable that it'd need more RAM so that it can smoothly handle rendering more at once? Isn't RAM generally the constraint on how high a resolution can be on an external monitor + how many external monitors can be connected? Seems like the same thing here to me...

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Anyone else notice that a lot of apps apparently don't make use of the available RAM?

I am annoyed how often you go back to an app that is open in the background and it has completely reset back to the home page/start screen. Especially annoying with food and retail apps where it completely erases things in your cart etc.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Weird... it's almost like the whole Dynamic Island thing was only put in place to hide the holes and not because Apple really believed it was a feature that would improve the UI. Go figure. 🙄
I'm reminded of a quote from a trashy daytime talk show I saw years ago where the daily topic was "You're Too Fat to Be a Drag Queen." One of the queens stood up, snapped their fingers and said "If you can't hide it, decorate it!"

That's what Apple did with the camera holes (to equally garish effect).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.