Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The iPhone 18 is going to blow away the 17.
What are you even talking about?

16, 17, 18, and 19 are basically relics by now.

Everyone is talking about iPhone 42.

No under display Face ID. Instead, the iPhone is imbedded into your face and identity.

Try to keep up, gramps!

/s

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
That suggests iPhone 16 Pro/Max is still 8GB RAM. Doesn't bode well for complex on-device AI processing.
Neither is the whole Macbook/Pro lines where RAM should have been increased to a minimum of 16GB since many years.

MrSegundus

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
More iterative, which makes you wonder why anyone should ever upgrade iPhones. Tim Cook needs to go so Apple can innovate again because clearly they’re more stale than 12 year old bread.

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN

derdante

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Damn, Pro Max only for the smaller dynamic island? Guess it's going to stay with us for a while. They'll at least have one additional year of bringing it to the other Pro model and then to all the models. So much for under-display Face ID anytime soon.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
So tired of the regular size Pro getting the short end of the stick. I thought all that would be over when the X was released.
It’s just physics that bigger phones can hold more hardware, so it only makes sense that they have an advantage in some hardware-related features (not all). To force both phone sizes to always be exactly equal in features would be to artificially and unnecessarily limit the potential of the bigger phone. And this is coming from someone who thinks all modern phones are too big.

Reactions: cjgrif

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Why is the iPhone 17 Plus called the iPhone 17 Slim 💀

Why fix whats already perfect...
Naming rumors are pretty often wrong, so I would take this one with salt as well. This far ahead of launch, the only people who know the planned names would be people in the Cupertino and they aren't as leak-prone as contractors, factory floors and the like.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Isn’t 8GB enough on a phone? They’re still selling it on a Mac 😅
The only difference is becoming the screen size. Behind the scenes what the SoC is doing isn't too different on iPhone, ipad, Apple TV and Mac. For a lot of users.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Dang I now am going to skip the 16 pro max & endure another year of waiting. It looks like the 17 pro max is going to be a worthy update to my 12 pro max.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Anyone else notice that a lot of apps apparently don't make use of the available RAM?

I am annoyed how often you go back to an app that is open in the background and it has completely reset back to the home page/start screen. Especially annoying with food and retail apps where it completely erases things in your cart etc.
IOS is extremely aggressive with memory.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
The RAM for the iPhone is now more than what they give you in the MacBook Pro. 8GB RAM has been the default since 2013. Bananas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.