Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Oh yeah, forgot about that blotch on the screen. I might have to wait for 18 Pro when it's supposedly gone.

I do not understand why anyone thought moving the dead spot on the screen further down into the display was a good idea. Every video I watch of a 15 series I can't help but see that splotch in the way. Maybe it's not so bad in person. I got used to the notch, but the notch doesn't waste a sliver of screen above it.

The 13 Pro notch was as good as it got. Narrower in every dimension and flush against the side. Every revision since then, including DI, has been a downgrade to me.

Reactions: lenger

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Why would that matter, siri doesn't even work half the time.....what makes you think they'll get AI right?

Because Siri is not an LLM. Siri was just an overly complicated database. Ask an exact request exactly right, it digs through its giant hash table or flat text file or whatever primitive technology it was based on in 2010, and maybe finds the right answer eventually.

This is why there's a lot of question whether they'll even continue the Siri name. They wasted a decade not fixing it, and someone else basically solved the problem for them. They just have to implement it.

Reactions: Tagbert

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
That's the os not the app.
But I have noticed variability across apps, so i presume there are at least some aspects within developer control. There are some apps that can go long periods in the background and pick up where they left off.

But to your point, the OS needs to adapt if it is still operating like it has 2gb of ram from years ago.

blackhawk10

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
We all love Apple rumors…but “come on man” iPhone 16 is months away, so why a iPhone 17 “possible” rumor 16 months before its for sale?

Apple orange.

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Worth waiting for upgrades coming on iPhone 17 series, my friend had confidently predicted this 12GB RAM coming iPhone 17 pro and pmx, long ago at the time of iPhone 15 and made me waiting iphone 17 too.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Weird... it's almost like the whole Dynamic Island thing was only put in place to hide the holes and not because Apple really believed it was a feature that would improve the UI. Go figure. 🙄
Honestly, dynamic island is seriously great. I hope they keep it even if they lose the FaceID cutout.

I thought it was no big deal when it was first demo'd, but once you own a phone that uses it, and you keep seeing the various small ways it provides useful info, it's hard not to fall in love with it.

Reactions: Tagbert

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Honestly, dynamic island is seriously great. I hope they keep it even if they lose the FaceID cutout.

I thought it was no big deal when it was first demo'd, but once you own a phone that uses it, and you keep seeing the various small ways it provides useful info, it's hard not to fall in love with it.
My iPhone doesn't have it, so I haven't experienced the usefulness (or unusefullness) of it first hand, but it seems very gimmicky, like the MacBook Touchbar, which I did have. I didn't feel so strongly about the worthlessness of that feature as many others did, but now that I have a Macbook without it, I can't say I really miss it. I'd imagine that as soon as apple can eliminate (or significantly enough reduce) the holes, the dynamic island is gone too.

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017

It's an iPhone 17 rumor frenzy this week courtesy of Jeff Pu, an analyst who has sources within Apple's supply chain in Asia.

iPhone-17-Pro-Max-Smaller-Dynamic-Island-Feature-1.jpg

While the iPhone 16 lineup is still months away from being announced, rumors about the two-generations-away iPhone lineup typically begin to surface about a year-and-a-half before launch. For example, almost exactly a year ago, we learned that the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max will have larger 6.3-inch and 6.9-inch displays, respectively.

12GB of RAM

In a research note with investment firm Haitong, Pu said the iPhone 17 Pro and Pro Max will be equipped with 12GB of RAM. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro models have 8GB of RAM, and the iPhone 16 Pro models are also expected to have 8GB of RAM. The increase would contribute to improved performance for multitasking on the iPhone.

The alleged RAM amounts across the iPhone 17 lineup:

• iPhone 17: 8GB
  • iPhone 17 Slim: 8GB
  • iPhone 17 Pro: 12GB
  • iPhone 17 Pro Max: 12GB

How that compares to the iPhone 15 lineup:

• iPhone 15: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Plus: 6GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro: 8GB
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max: 8GB

Narrower Dynamic Island on Pro Max

Pu said the iPhone 17 Pro Max will feature a "much narrowed Dynamic Island" as a result of the device adopting a smaller "metalens" for the Face ID system.

This would be the first size reduction for the Dynamic Island since its iPhone 14 Pro debut.

Article Link: iPhone 17 Pro Rumors: 12GB RAM, Narrower Dynamic Island for Pro Max
They desperately need to bring this sooner and unlock all the restrictions on multitasking. Wish they'd bring clipboard to iOS. I'd finally switch back to iPhone

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017
Anyone else notice that a lot of apps apparently don't make use of the available RAM?

I am annoyed how often you go back to an app that is open in the background and it has completely reset back to the home page/start screen. Especially annoying with food and retail apps where it completely erases things in your cart etc.
Thank iOS restrictions for that

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Anyone else notice that a lot of apps apparently don't make use of the available RAM?

I am annoyed how often you go back to an app that is open in the background and it has completely reset back to the home page/start screen. Especially annoying with food and retail apps where it completely erases things in your cart etc.
These are BADLY WRITTEN apps.
The only reason an app works this way is that it was written by idiots. And Apple can't fix stupidity.

They could (IMHO SHOULD) refuse to allow apps this badly written in the app store, but the idiots support each, and the idiot supporter politicians in the EU would probably go berserk if Apple did this.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Oh yeah, forgot about that blotch on the screen. I might have to wait for 18 Pro when it's supposedly gone.

I do not understand why anyone thought moving the dead spot on the screen further down into the display was a good idea. Every video I watch of a 15 series I can't help but see that splotch in the way. Maybe it's not so bad in person. I got used to the notch, but the notch doesn't waste a sliver of screen above it.

The 13 Pro notch was as good as it got. Narrower in every dimension and flush against the side. Every revision since then, including DI, has been a downgrade to me.
They didn’t move the island down. They made the screen taller.

Most videos do not intrude on the island area. there are some extra wide videos that do but they are not that common. What videos are you running into problems with?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My iPhone doesn't have it, so I haven't experienced the usefulness (or unusefullness) of it first hand, but it seems very gimmicky, like the MacBook Touchbar, which I did have. I didn't feel so strongly about the worthlessness of that feature as many others did, but now that I have a Macbook without it, I can't say I really miss it. I'd imagine that as soon as apple can eliminate (or significantly enough reduce) the holes, the dynamic island is gone too.
It’s useful as a switcher for apps, too. You can tap on it and get to the app running in the background.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
They didn’t move the island down. They made the screen taller.

Most videos do not intrude on the island area. there are some extra wide videos that do but they are not that common. What videos are you running into problems with?

I don't personally have one, but the impression I get from Apple's own marketing videos is that the DI appears while watching full screen video. It was distracting enough to me that I didn't like it. It might be different in person.

They did make the screen taller, but are you sure it's the same ratio? Again no hard details, it just looks to me from Apple's own images and videos that there is a substantial amount of wasted screen space above it.

I never found the notch distracting because it's all the way at the top. And aspect ratio makes that dead space anyway when watching landscape video. It might be the same with DI.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I don't personally have one, but the impression I get from Apple's own marketing videos is that the DI appears while watching full screen video. It was distracting enough to me that I didn't like it. It might be different in person.

They did make the screen taller, but are you sure it's the same ratio? Again no hard details, it just looks to me from Apple's own images and videos that there is a substantial amount of wasted screen space above it.

I never found the notch distracting because it's all the way at the top. And aspect ratio makes that dead space anyway when watching landscape video. It might be the same with DI.
The area under the island is the same size as the area under the notch. They added more vertical pixels to the screen by the same as the slight extra height of the island. There were plenty of measurements posted when those first came out.

Normal videos, such as those shot on the camera, do not overlap the island unless you zoom in on them. Since that crops the top and bottom of the video, the fact there a little is taken off the side seems beside the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.