Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I really like(d) my 6 plus up until iOS 10. Never had any qualms about performance up until that point, but now it stutters or randomly becomes unresponsive which I find deeply frustrating.

Looking forward to the arrival of my 7 plus, but I'm resentful of the fact that my phone has gotten to this point after only two years.

Reactions: JF0rd

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
That's what I suspect. The extra layer or whatever they had to add for the stupid 3D Touch affected the displays negatively, I feel.
[doublepost=1477951562][/doublepost]

It's kind of a weird shortcut, though--as in not really easy to use. I find double-tapping the home button easier.

force touching left edge to get to app switcher works really well if you "peek" and then begin sliding into the stack, maybe you are waiting for the "pop". Doing it this way is quicker than reaching down to the home button when you get the hang of it
[doublepost=1477970982][/doublepost]
I really like(d) my 6 plus up until iOS 10. Never had any qualms about performance up until that point, but now it stutters or randomly becomes unresponsive which I find deeply frustrating.

Looking forward to the arrival of my 7 plus, but I'm resentful of the fact that my phone has gotten to this point after only two years.

thats odd, its the other way round for me, 6 plus stuttered lots to begin with, but is running smooth on os 10, almost as well as the 7

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
.1 mm is noticeable? Thats the diameter of a single hair. Yes it weighs a half ounce more, but also not that noticeable.

iPhone 7Plus:
158.2 mm x 77.9mm x 7.3mm

iPhone 6Plus
158.1mm x 77.8mm x 7.1mm

No way that is noticeable.

Your splitting hairs, stop that!

My findings regarding the 6+/6S+/7+

6+ has the nicest screen, the nicest loudspeaker and it's also the lightest.

6S+ is a speed demon which also cured the reloading and stutter/freezing of its predecessor but sadly it has a gnarly loudspeaker, an overly cool-blue screen and weighs a bit more.

7+ isn't all that noticeably faster in general use, it has a warmer screen than the 6S+ but still more fatiguing/straining in extended use than the 6+, it has the best home button, best camera and water resistance. Yeah it also has stereo speakers but the audio quality still isn't a patch on the 6+.

So basically give me a 7+ with the screen and loudspeaker from the 6+. I'm pretty sure that the 3D Touch engineering in the 6S+ and 7+ makes the display more fatiguing.

My 7 is amazingly loud and clear on both phone calls, speaker phone and music/video playback.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 7 is amazingly loud and clear on both phone calls, speaker phone and music/video playback.
I should have said that I was talking about audio quality, not volume. The 6S+ and 7+ have louder, clearer speakerphones but neither is as rich, warm and bassy as the 6+ when it comes to music playback. This can be noticed with ringtones and notification alerts too, both sounding much less 'full' on the latter devices. The 6S+ is noticeably more forward in tone than the 6+, and the 7+ is horribly bright.

Reactions: janeauburn

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
My 6s has great sound. I listened to the Superman II movie soundtrack on YouTube awhile ago and it sounds so good. Apple really does make the best sounding smartphone no matter what android tries to do for good audio. I think I'll upgrade next year to the iPhone 8 or whatever they name it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 6s has great sound. I listened to the Superman II movie soundtrack on YouTube awhile ago and it sounds so good. Apple really does make the best sounding smartphone no matter what android tries to do for good audio. I think I'll upgrade next year to the iPhone 8 or whatever they name it.

The HTC10, Nexus 6P and Xperia XZ sound way better (if not as loud). iPhone audio is really very average these days.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Interesting how there are so many different opinions of the same phone, whether 6 Plus or 7. Based upon my review of several units of the same models, I suspect unit-to-unit variation, which is not reassuring.

sclubone

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
Quote from my friend:

I had a number of podcasts saved in the Apple podcast app, and it turns out that the content for that app is not included in iCloud backups—so the content didn't come over to the new phone via restore. The next discovery is that the Apple podcast app also doesn't have a “share” function, so no way to export the content that way. I then installed iTunes on my PC (malware), and iTunes lets you see the content nicely listed—but again no way to copy to the new phone or even extract to PC. Finally I got a third party software—more malware, and full of bugs—but finally was able to save the content to the PC. Then I found a podcast app that supports importing media files (it is called Downcast), transferred from the PC to the new phone, imported to that new podcast app—and done. This took hours, in part because once extracted to PC from the old phone, the meta-data about these files (order, when received, etc.) was lost, so I had to rename the files to preserve the correct order.

Upload those podcasts to OneDrive, download the Groove app, and be done with iTunes if that's all you need it for.

WaveGOD

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Friend and I both have come from the 6 Plus and have given the 7 Plus a few weeks of steady use. Between us, we have used 3 different 7 Plus units extensively. Here are our observations:

Difference in weight (and width/size) is noticeable. 3D Touch, the brainfart largely responsible for the added weight, is not nearly worth the price.

How does 3D touch add to the weight?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How does 3D touch add to the weight?
They reduced the battery size of the 6S in order to squeeze the 3D Touch haptic engine inside. This added to the weight alongside the stronger aluminium Apple used for the chassis.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
They reduced the battery size of the 6S in order to squeeze the 3D Touch haptic engine inside. This added to the weight alongside the stronger aluminium Apple used for the chassis.

But we are talking grams here. The difference from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus is only 20 grams. The 7Plus is actually 4 grams lighter than the 6sPlus, making it only 16 grams heavier than the 6Plus. Barely a 1/2 ounce. I would gladly take the added weight of 16 grams for a strongly chassis. I can't imagine how the OP is saying its noticeably heavier. o_O

Reactions: jeff996 and Agile55

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
But we are talking grams here. The difference from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus is only 20 grams. The 7Plus is actually 4 grams lighter than the 6sPlus, making it only 16 grams heavier than the 6Plus. Barely a 1/2 ounce. I would gladly take the added weight of 16 grams for a strongly chassis. I can't imagine how the OP is saying its noticeably heavier. o_O

Well the 6+ was an oversized and weighty slab so for its successor to be even heavier was a strange thing. Apple really needed to slim down those bezels and put the iPhone on a diet but instead we got the 6SS. So whilst of course a gym membership isn't necessary in order to lift the Plus models, the additional 20g on top of an already heavy and cumbersome phone was noticed.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
My 6 Plus still gets the job done but the speed of the 7 Plus is enticing. I compared side by side with my coworkers 7 Plus and I still think the display is superior on my 6 Plus..I think I can wait another year for the redesign

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
My 6 Plus still gets the job done but the speed of the 7 Plus is enticing. I compared side by side with my coworkers 7 Plus and I still think the display is superior on my 6 Plus..I think I can wait another year for the redesign

I agree about the 6+ vs. 6S+/7+ screens. Compared to my wife's 6s+, I like how my 6+ display seems almost flush with the glass and painted on. It's nice and bright, crisp. Her display is dark around the edges and noticeably "sunk" beneath the glass touch layer. I know it's because of 3D Touch, but it doesn't look that great. Only other advantage my 6+ has over her 6S+ is the low light pics...mine are much nicer with much less noise. Otherwise, the 6+ is pretty much garbage compared to the newer models, but usable. I even prefer the added weight of the 6S+ as I equate heft with quality, durability.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I agree about the 6+ vs. 6S+/7+ screens. Compared to my wife's 6s+, I like how my 6+ display seems almost flush with the glass and painted on. It's nice and bright, crisp. Her display is dark around the edges and noticeably "sunk" beneath the glass touch layer. I know it's because of 3D Touch, but it doesn't look that great. Only other advantage my 6+ has over her 6S+ is the low light pics...mine are much nicer with much less noise. Otherwise, the 6+ is pretty much garbage compared to the newer models, but usable. I even prefer the added weight of the 6S+ as I equate heft with quality, durability.

That makes sense but the 6S+ and 7+ are in fact more durable due to the added reinforcement near the weak spot in the frame. The 6+ is very much prone to bending which sucks...I really have to be careful with mine since it already got replaced once for bending and I know they won't do it again for free since I don't have AC

Jim165

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
That makes sense but the 6S+ and 7+ are in fact more durable due to the added reinforcement near the weak spot in the frame. The 6+ is very much prone to bending which sucks...I really have to be careful with mine since it already got replaced once for bending and I know they won't do it again for free since I don't have AC
Yes, agreed and that was what I was implying. My 6+ is bent now and experiencing the typical ghost touches now and then. I'll upgrade on the 8.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Same stuff, I will easily wait for a year or two. iPhone 7 plus is absolutely stunning, but it doesn't provide me anything to justify spending of almost a grand to upgrade from 6 plus.

Reactions: iApple_man

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Interesting how there are so many different opinions of the same phone, whether 6 Plus or 7. Based upon my review of several units of the same models, I suspect unit-to-unit variation, which is not reassuring.

I doubt the variation from unit to unit is more than any other mass produced product. It's more likely that some users have different uses and different expectations for their gadgets.

I've only had my 7+ for a day now, but so far it does everything my 6+ did, only faster. The screen looks great. 3DTouch is actually more useful than I thought it'd be. Faster TouchID is awesome. The second camera is actually useful. Battery life seems pretty good compared to my 6+. I've been unplugged for almost 9 hours and my battery is at 78%. Ah, and this morning while it was on the charger, I decided I wanted to listen to music. So I unplugged it and plugged my headphones in(not sure why anyone would want to be chained to their A/C adapter anyway...)

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I deeply regret upgrading to iOS 10 on my iPhone 6 Plus. The performance has taken a turn for the worst.

I'm also working for a major wireless carrier and so many consumers come in with issues and they always start with, "I did the update and now _____ doesn't work."

I could have probably lived with my 6 Plus another year but I broke down today and ordered a MB 128GB 7 Plus.

Hoping it's a decent upgrade but from the sounds of it I think it'll be a lateral move for the most part.

Thankfully I have the ability to upgrade every year so definitely looking forward to the 2017 iPhone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Same stuff, I will easily wait for a year or two. iPhone 7 plus is absolutely stunning, but it doesn't provide me anything to justify spending of almost a grand to upgrade from 6 plus.

The main upgrades (Some features for the 4.7 model) for the 7 Plus being the dual camera, stereo speakers, 1080 P, larger battery and haptic home button. I think the 7 Plus is refined and is a solid iPhone. Nothing groundbreaking, but worth the upgrade in my
Opinion.

Reactions: Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.