Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The main upgrades (Some features for the 4.7 model) for the 7 Plus being the dual camera, stereo speakers, 1080 P, larger battery and haptic home button. I think the 7 Plus is refined and is a solid iPhone. Nothing groundbreaking, but worth the upgrade in my
Opinion.
The main upgrade over the 6+ is the SOC and RAM, as it was with the 6S+. The 6+ was an absolute dog straight out of the box, let alone two iPhones and two versions of iOS later.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The main upgrade over the 6+ is the SOC and RAM, as it was with the 6S+. The 6+ was an absolute dog straight out of the box, let alone two iPhones and two versions of iOS later.

1GB with the 6 Plus and 3 GB of Ram with the 7 Plus. There defintely was a difference From two generations.

Reactions: Jetcat3

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Faster TouchID is awesome.

Definitely agree on this point.
[doublepost=1478176510][/doublepost]
Hoping it's a decent upgrade but from the sounds of it I think it'll be a lateral move for the most part.

It's heavier and thicker. You'll like the speed, but you'll still feel that if it weren't for iOS 10, you'd be just as happy with the 6 Plus.
[doublepost=1478176594][/doublepost]
Compared to my wife's 6s+, I like how my 6+ display seems almost flush with the glass and painted on. It's nice and bright, crisp. Her display is dark around the edges and noticeably "sunk" beneath the glass touch layer.

This is an excellent description of the differences in the screen. I prefer the look of the 6 Plus screen, and I attribute the difference you describe to the extra layer required by 3D Touch.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
That's what I suspect. The extra layer or whatever they had to add for the stupid 3D Touch affected the displays negatively, I feel.
[doublepost=1477951562][/doublepost]

It's kind of a weird shortcut, though--as in not really easy to use. I find double-tapping the home button easier.

Again as others have said, probably personal preference. Not only do I find it easier to use force touch as app switcher (among other things) but the wear and tear on home button decreases an insane amount. Think about how often I was having to double tap that thing everyday over the course of multiple years. As far as you loading content on Itunes. Any podcast on Itunes is available directly off the web. Takes a second to go to say Joe Rogans podcast site, and download any episode in mp3 format. Or any torrent site. The notion that it would be any kind of pain to procure podcasts outside of Itunes is crazy. From there, just load up on VLC app. You can even load music or tv shows or movies, dont need to go through Itunes or even connect Iphone to pc.....it can be done over wifi.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Interesting how there are so many different opinions of the same phone, whether 6 Plus or 7. Based upon my review of several units of the same models, I suspect unit-to-unit variation, which is not reassuring.
Far more likely their is person to person variation. Phones like all manufactured products have quality checks and production tolerances. There will of course be variations of product with these tolerance bands.

People on other hand have no quality checks, do not have uniform eye sight, hearing ability, and are so subjective in their opinions. You will never find two that agree on everything. And then add in past experiences, prejudices and agendas.

Even the same person looking over several phones cannot help from being bias. Best way to guard against that is doing double blind tests. Put all the various phone in front of you one at a time such that you don't know which you are examining. Could even be same phone you look at back to back.

It's quite sobering when you are told you found differences between phone A and phone B. And then find out they were same phone.

Yeah......almost certain it's the people not the phone with majority of variations.

Last edited:
Reactions: T5BRICK

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I came to the realization long ago that some people don't like change or like what they are familiar with. How someone will rather have their old raggedy shoes because they're more comfortable to them than some new ones would be. Are they really more comfortable than every new pair of kicks out?

It's the same reason some people still have iPhone 4 or 4S's and have no problem with them and prefer them. They'll only get a new phone until they're forced to by it no longer working or the battery life becoming unbearable.

Some of these criticisms aren't meant to be understood or even analyzed. It's more about the personal preferences of the OP.

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I came from a 6S+, went to a Note 7 and went to iPhone 7 and finally to a 7+. I don't see a big difference in weight between my old 6S+ and the 7+. Either way, it is a big improvement overall from the 6S+.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Again as others have said, probably personal preference. Not only do I find it easier to use force touch as app switcher (among other things) but the wear and tear on home button decreases an insane amount. Think about how often I was having to double tap that thing everyday over the course of multiple years. As far as you loading content on Itunes. Any podcast on Itunes is available directly off the web. Takes a second to go to say Joe Rogans podcast site, and download any episode in mp3 format. Or any torrent site. The notion that it would be any kind of pain to procure podcasts outside of Itunes is crazy. From there, just load up on VLC app. You can even load music or tv shows or movies, dont need to go through Itunes or even connect Iphone to pc.....it can be done over wifi.
Seems like you're forcing yourself to use a more cumbersome method just to save some wear on the home button. I guess that's why I like my Xperia XZ with the on-screen buttons and double tap to wake/sleep. The only time I press a hard button is when I take a screenshot.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I truely believe most concerns about wear and tear are overblown in people's minds. Between the twenty some phones my son and I have owned we have traded them in before having any wear out issues. Not saying it can't happen just that it is truely rare.

Most people trade up to another phone in one or two years. And even the phones I have kept for four years did not wear out. Keep em clean, don't throw them around, sit on them or put them through the wash and you most likely won't have an issue.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
Seems like you're forcing yourself to use a more cumbersome method just to save some wear on the home button. I guess that's why I like my Xperia XZ with the on-screen buttons and double tap to wake/sleep. The only time I press a hard button is when I take a screenshot.

How someone could interpret what I said as "forcing myself" I have no idea. I think I was pretty clear in what I said.......I find it easier. Soooooo, finding something easier to do doesnt equate to "forcing myself" And force touch being more cumbersome????? As far as my experience goes, Im touching the screen to operate the phone. To make calls, I touch the screen, to text, I touch the screen, to listen to music, I touch the screen, to watch video, I touch the screen, to check email, I touch the screen, open apps, I touch the screen. So now I want to go to app switcher or scroll back to first screen, and Im going to move down to the home button, and press that in???? Instead of just leaving my thumb right where it is and pressing the screen, like I do with everything else. Oh wait, I get it, you dont know what force touch is. You think its some button you push.... I guess, as no one thats ever used it would make the statement your making.
I guess that's why I like my Xperia XZ with the on-screen buttons and double tap to wake/sleep. The only time I press a hard button is when I take a screenshot.

Based on that, you agree with me and dont even realize it!!! Maybe learn what force touch is before commenting. Its NOT a button. Its tapping your screen, you know, the thing you love about your Xperia. Yeah touching that, except it detects the level of pressure you apply to do different tasks. So tapping the screen lightly does a different thing then tapping hard.

Reactions: HEK

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Hey y'all, I do agree that the 6s Plus/7 Plus have some interesting things going on with the LED backlighting. Dark spots, etc. But I don't know how many of y'all have checked Anandtech's review of the 7/7 Plus and DisplayMate's review of the 7, but these displays are pretty amazing. Pretty much color perfect essentially and even better than the latest OLED's, save for the deep blacks. The lowest brightness setting is so nice at night as the 7 Plus can get down to 3 nits. If you can get a display without any dark shadows and even color throughout, it's definitely an upgrade from the 6 Plus display IMO.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How someone could interpret what I said as "forcing myself" I have no idea. I think I was pretty clear in what I said.......I find it easier. Soooooo, finding something easier to do doesnt equate to "forcing myself" And force touch being more cumbersome????? As far as my experience goes, Im touching the screen to operate the phone. To make calls, I touch the screen, to text, I touch the screen, to listen to music, I touch the screen, to watch video, I touch the screen, to check email, I touch the screen, open apps, I touch the screen. So now I want to go to app switcher or scroll back to first screen, and Im going to move down to the home button, and press that in???? Instead of just leaving my thumb right where it is and pressing the screen, like I do with everything else. Oh wait, I get it, you dont know what force touch is. You think its some button you push.... I guess, as no one thats ever used it would make the statement your making.

Based on that, you agree with me and dont even realize it!!! Maybe learn what force touch is before commenting. Its NOT a button. Its tapping your screen, you know, the thing you love about your Xperia. Yeah touching that, except it detects the level of pressure you apply to do different tasks. So tapping the screen lightly does a different thing then tapping hard.

I've got the 6S+ and briefly had the 7+ so do understand Force Touch, but I never found the multitasking element of it at all handy. It was a faff. Most people used it to 'save wear' on their home button but with the new non-mechanical home buttons that isn't necessary.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Just out of interest, do you already use iOS 10.1 on it? There seem to be reports on here that say that iOS 10.1 reduces the general speaker volume.

Yeah I was on 10.1 beta on my 6s+ but I didn't notice a speaker change from iOS 9 to 10

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Not sure why you think the underpowered and horrible ram situation with the 6+ is the best iPhone made. I had it for 2 years it cannot keep apps open in background if you use another app whatsoever. My iPhone 5 did a better job at it. The 6+ was a hog when it comes to system performance. IF anything the 6s+ would be considered the best phone just based on speed/ram but the 7+ is a tad better.
Im glad my 6+ is gone it drove me crazy the way it managed memory. Speed difference is night and day. Good riddance

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Not sure why you think the underpowered and horrible ram situation with the 6+ is the best iPhone made. I had it for 2 years it cannot keep apps open in background if you use another app whatsoever. My iPhone 5 did a better job at it. The 6+ was a hog when it comes to system performance. IF anything the 6s+ would be considered the best phone just based on speed/ram but the 7+ is a tad better.
Im glad my 6+ is gone it drove me crazy the way it managed memory. Speed difference is night and day. Good riddance

Indeed. Looking beyond the larger screen, great battery life and fantastic loudspeaker, the iPhone 6+ was the worst iPhone ever released. It couldn't multitask *at all* and was bugged with regular screen freezing. I rejoiced when I swapped that thing for the 6S+.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
The only thing I admired with the 6 Plus was the battery life. Up until I let go of it, the battery life on that thing is amazing! Even with around 400 cycles, I could still get a full day's battery use out of it (until 7am - 9PM). On the 7, I need to recharge around 7PM which f up my charging habit. Other than that, the 6 Plus was not a performance beast and would not recommend it for any power users even when it launched.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
The only thing I admired with the 6 Plus was the battery life. Up until I let go of it, the battery life on that thing is amazing! Even with around 400 cycles, I could still get a full day's battery use out of it (until 7am - 9PM). On the 7, I need to recharge around 7PM which f up my charging habit. Other than that, the 6 Plus was not a performance beast and would not recommend it for any power users even when it launched.

So you went from a 6 Plus to a 7? Not another Plus? I'm curious as to why

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Indeed. Looking beyond the larger screen, great battery life and fantastic loudspeaker, the iPhone 6+ was the worst iPhone ever released. It couldn't multitask *at all* and was bugged with regular screen freezing. I rejoiced when I swapped that thing for the 6S+.

Agreed. The 6s Plus was a huge improvement over the 6 Plus. 1 Gb of Ram plagued the iPhone 6 horribly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.