Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I am on my second iPhone 6 Plus (128gb) because my first one was replaced under warranty by Apple due to random resprings. Now my replacement 6 Plus is randomly respringing again :(

Do any of you see pages and pages of JetsamEvents in your diagnostic logs? They can be found under General --> Privacy --> Diagnostic & Usage --> Diagnostic & Usage Data. A picture of my diagnostic log is here: http://i.imgur.com/0mwbp4L.jpg

According to an Apple Genius who replaced my first iPhone 6 Plus, the high numbers of JetsamEvents in my diagnostic logs indicated there was a logic board fault. Now my replacement 6 Plus is showing the same symptoms.

I don't understand - am I really unlucky? or is this a more widespread, software issue? I had setup my phone as new so I don't think it is backup related.

Thank you for your help - I don't know anyone else who owns a 6 plus so I hope MacRumor can help me to find an answer.

Please state if your iPhone is 128gb - want to get an idea whether it is more common on 128gb models.

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I am on my second iPhone 6 Plus (128gb) because my first one was replaced under warranty by Apple due to random reboot/crash. Now my replacement 6 Plus is randomly rebooting again :(

Do any of you see pages and pages of JetsamEvents in your diagnostic logs? They can be found under General --> Privacy --> Diagnostic & Usage --> Diagnostic & Usage Data. A picture of my diagnostic log is here: http://i.imgur.com/0mwbp4L.jpg
According to an Apple Genius, the high numbers of JetsamEvents in my diagnostic logs indicate there is a logic board fault so that is why he replaced my first 6 Plus. Now my replacement 6 plus is showing the same thing. I don't understand - am I really unlucky? or is this a wide spread, software issue? I had setup my phone as new so I don't think it is backup related.

Thank you for your help - I don't know anyone else who owns a 6 plus so I hope MacRumor can help me to find an answer.

I have a high number but they are caused by backboardd. What are yours caused by?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have pages and pages of them but my 64GB 6+ has only rebooted once on 8.3 and a few times before that.

JohnCrichton

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes same problem as you since ios 8.3. Several reboots even after a fresh and clean install. I can only upload one of 2 pictures with jetsam events. Thank you for your information, I'm going straight to Apple store tomorrow!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 2,329

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I just looked at mine and I have about a dozen JetsamEvents. Since I have owned my iPhone 6+ (6months) it has crashed twice. I am fairly sure the problem was caused by the Audible app.

I have looked at the diagnostic logs before because I have had apps abruptly crash but the phone itself has always been very stable.

Lisa

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
if you have 8.3 installed on your device..that's the fw bug, springboard crashes several times,especially updating apps on the app store. there is nothing faulty on your devices. that's all about a fw bug.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I am on my second iPhone 6 Plus (128gb) because my first one was replaced under warranty by Apple due to random reboot/crash. Now my replacement 6 Plus is randomly rebooting again :(

According to an Apple Genius, the high numbers of JetsamEvents in my diagnostic logs indicate there is a logic board fault so that is why he replaced my first 6 Plus. Now my replacement 6 plus is showing the same thing. I don't understand - am I really unlucky? or is this a wide spread, software issue? I had setup my phone as new so I don't think it is backup related.

I also had these with my 6 plus both of them (the replacement from Apple)

As far as I know they are due to low memory, I had random reboots with my first 6+ none on my second but both I got at the minimum 2 jetsam entries everyday without fail, I finally had enough with the subpar performance (compared to the 6) and went back to the 6. It has been a few days now and not 1 jetsam entry yet (knock on wood) and haven't come across an app crash yet.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Isn't a jetsamevent just a low memory warning of some kind? And then it records a log showing what caused the low memory and what apps were running when it happened? All normal behavior so then Apple can see what's happening if you choose to send the logs and eventually figure what's causing the "problem"? I think you guys are maybe overthinking this. I could be wrong somebody please chime in and explain this further if possible.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Just checked my 6+, and it has the same series of JetsamEvent logs as well. However mine does not randomly reboot.

I think maybe I should rephrase - I have had number of resprings (soft reboot). Have you seen those on your phone?

----------

Isn't a jetsamevent just a low memory warning of some kind? And then it records a log showing what caused the low memory and what apps were running when it happened? All normal behavior so then Apple can see what's happening if you choose to send the logs and eventually figure what's causing the "problem"? I think you guys are maybe overthinking this. I could be wrong somebody please chime in and explain this further if possible.

Yes, that's what I understand as wel. However, it seems like iPhone 6 plus users are seeing these jetsamevents much more frequently than 6, 5s or 5. And certainly, resprings are very rare when I was on 5s and on my friends 6. I wish I know if is this a software or a hardware issue?

I have been posting the same question on other sites and 6 users are seeing between 10-25 jetsamevents over several months. Whereas I have over 130 jetsamevents in 2 weeks?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think maybe I should rephrase - I have had number of resprings (soft reboot). Have you seen those on your phone?

----------

Yes, that's what I understand as wel. However, it seems like iPhone 6 plus users are seeing these jetsamevents much more frequently than 6, 5s or 5. And certainly, resprings are very rare when I was on 5s and on my friends 6. I wish I know if is this a software or a hardware issue?

The 6+ is a lemon, that's why. It runs a non-native super-high definition screen which is then constantly downscaled to 1080p. This uses resources and computational power and none of the other iPhones need to do it. Plus the same processor and GPU as the iPhone 6 has to push more pixels than any of the other iPhones even when the display output has been downscaled. Throw in a chronic lack of RAM, the same amount as the 32Bit two generations older iPhone 5 (32Bit devices use much less RAM than 64Bit devices), and you can see quite easily why the 6+ struggles more than the i5/5S/i6 when it comes to running iOS8.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I also had these with my 6 plus both of them (the replacement from Apple)

As far as I know they are due to low memory, I had random reboots with my first 6+ none on my second but both I got at the minimum 2 jetsam entries everyday without fail, I finally had enough with the subpar performance (compared to the 6) and went back to the 6. It has been a few days now and not 1 jetsam entry yet (knock on wood) and haven't come across an app crash yet.

My first iPhone 6 plus was respringing everyday so I got a replacement. The replacement resprings much less but still happened 3 times in 2 weeks. Jetsamevents are still happening all over the place, more so than I have seen in 6 or 5s users. This leads me to think it's a hardware problem :(

----------

who has got the ''random springboard crash'' issue?

Could you find any solution for that?

That is what happened with some of jetsamevents. Not sure why or how to fix. I have at least several of those springboard ones per day.

----------

I have 20.5 pages of Jetsam events, plus pages and pages of Coretime logs.

Had any resprings?

----------

I just looked at mine and I have about a dozen JetsamEvents. Since I have owned my iPhone 6+ (6months) it has crashed twice. I am fairly sure the problem was caused by the Audible app.

I have looked at the diagnostic logs before because I have had apps abruptly crash but the phone itself has always been very stable.

Lisa

So it never rebooted (0hone restarting showing an apple logo)? What storage size is your 6 plus?

----------

Just checked my 6+, and it has the same series of JetsamEvent logs as well. However mine does not randomly reboot.

Thanks for checking. What storage size is your 6 plus?

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Yes same problem as you since ios 8.3. Several reboots even after a fresh and clean install. I can only upload one of 2 pictures with jetsam events. Thank you for your information, I'm going straight to Apple store tomorrow!!!

I should rephrase - I have had several resprings and high number of jetsamevents. I experience less resprings now with the replacement (daily resprings to one a week). However, I still don't think they should occur that frequently as 6 and 5s don't share the same symptoms. If you get a replacement could you report back please?

----------

The 6+ is a lemon, that's why. It runs a non-native super-high definition screen which is then constantly downscaled to 1080p. This uses resources and computational power and none of the other iPhones need to do it. Plus the same processor and GPU as the iPhone 6 has to push more pixels than any of the other iPhones even when the display output has been downscaled. Throw in a chronic lack of RAM, the same amount as the 32Bit two generations older iPhone 5 (32Bit devices use much less RAM than 64Bit devices), and you can see quite easily why the 6+ struggles more than the i5/5S/i6 when it comes to running iOS8.

That is a good explanation. I might not bother booking another genius appointment...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I should rephrase - I have had several resprings and high number of jetsamevents. I experience less resprings now with the replacement (daily resprings to one a week). However, I still don't think they should occur that frequently as 6 and 5s don't share the same symptoms. If you get a replacement could you report back please?

----------

That is a good explanation. I might not bother booking another genius appointment...

I found that my resprings were app-related. Chrome used to do it so I deleted the app, and Facebook used to do it too but Google cured that several updates ago. 8.3 has also been the most stable iteration of iOS and a clean DFU install can help.
Safari is now the biggest crashmeister for me. I get 'the webpage had to be closed down' message umpteen times per day, and the occasional full crash to my homescreen.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011

Should I DFU install in your opinion? How is DFU install different from a normal restore?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Should I DFU install in your opinion? How is DFU install different from a normal restore?

Well, you'll hear different theories on whether you need to but ultimately it puts a completely fresh copy of the o/s and firmware onto the phone. It ends up completely back to a factory state. You can then install a backup, or set up as a new phone.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
My 6 Plus doesn't reboot, not on iOS 8.3 and definitely not on iOS 8.4 public beta. But I have Jetsam Events caused by backboardd constantly. I've seen these occur on iPad Air 2 as well and I'm hoping  with iOS 9 improves this behavior.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I only have 6 jetsam logs. Have had the phone since February. Not one reboot. Came with 8.1.2 and have updated OTA with both versions of iOS.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
My logs are long!! Including the same ones you mention and I have a 5c. I'll only worry if I get odd behavior!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.