Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnCrichton

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Talked to Apple support over the phone since the only official Apple store Stockholm didn't have an appointment for today... They recommended me to setup as a new phone from a clean install and thereafter install each app separately. Will all my app data be backed by iTunes if I do this? Do you think this will solve resprings, slow safari, UI stutters etc?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Possible problem?

I have about 40 per day of these JetsamEvents; I counted 100 from Friday afternoon. I presume it only stores 100, or there'd be more.

My phone also occasionally completely freezes - the home button and parallax effect still work, but the screen is completely unresponsive. Only way to make it work is to lock the phone and unlock it again, where Siri occasionally spontaneously appears without ever holding down the home button.

Could they be related?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I have a few Jetsam events, plus CoreTime (although I don't think these are crash logs). I also have the system logging GTA SA as using "excessive resources", which is normal considering that game depletes the 6+ battery entirely in less than 3 hours.

Apart from those crashes, no springboard resprings, no random reboots, and very few app crashes (only Safari and some other apps sometimes). 8.4b3.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
iOS 8.3 and 8.4 b3 random reboots (springboard crashes) is fw related issue. app store updates (watch compatible apps) trigger that. Tested on my 5s and removed a watch compatible app (instagram) and a non compatible app ( my mobile network user app)

i installed first non compatible one. did nothing ( no jetsam events, no crashes)

after than i install instagram.
installation finished..after 10 seconds..boom..here is the Apple logo..

that's the answer..ther are some watch compatibility issues on 8.3 and 8.4 b3.

maybe effective power issue has got the same manner..

must be fixed on 8.4 ( i hope ) :) from now on..we can just wait until the final release is out.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
My 6 Plus doesn't reboot, not on iOS 8.3 and definitely not on iOS 8.4 public beta. But I have Jetsam Events caused by backboardd constantly. I've seen these occur on iPad Air 2 as well and I'm hoping  with iOS 9 improves this behavior.

No reboots - how about resprings? I think what i have been experiencing are resprings rather than a reboot.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I have a few Jetsam events, plus CoreTime (although I don't think these are crash logs). I also have the system logging GTA SA as using "excessive resources", which is normal considering that game depletes the 6+ battery entirely in less than 3 hours.

Apart from those crashes, no springboard resprings, no random reboots, and very few app crashes (only Safari and some other apps sometimes). 8.4b3.

Did you experience any problems when you were on 8.3? I hope 8.4 fix things! Also what size 6 plus have you got?

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
iOS 8.3 and 8.4 b3 random reboots (springboard crashes) is fw related issue. app store updates (watch compatible apps) trigger that. Tested on my 5s and removed a watch compatible app (instagram) and a non compatible app ( my mobile network user app)

i installed first non compatible one. did nothing ( no jetsam events, no crashes)

after than i install instagram.
installation finished..after 10 seconds..boom..here is the Apple logo..

that's the answer..ther are some watch compatibility issues on 8.3 and 8.4 b3.

maybe effective power issue has got the same manner..

must be fixed on 8.4 ( i hope ) :) from now on..we can just wait until the final release is out.

I have never suspected watch compatible apps to be the source of my resprings! This seems to be an easy fix - all i have to do is wait for 8.4 to drop.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Talked to Apple support over the phone since the only official Apple store Stockholm didn't have an appointment for today... They recommended me to setup as a new phone from a clean install and thereafter install each app separately. Will all my app data be backed by iTunes if I do this? Do you think this will solve resprings, slow safari, UI stutters etc?

Being asked to troubleshoot the device myself is something I really dislike. Why should I spend money to fix a piece of tech after I had just bought it? Apple gadgets are quite reliable overall compare to many other brands but I am somewhat let down this time by the iPhone 6 plus.

You can back up your entire phone when you do an iTunes backup, but i don't think you can restore individual apps after you have done a clean install. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Possible problem?

I have about 40 per day of these JetsamEvents; I counted 100 from Friday afternoon. I presume it only stores 100, or there'd be more.

My phone also occasionally completely freezes - the home button and parallax effect still work, but the screen is completely unresponsive. Only way to make it work is to lock the phone and unlock it again, where Siri occasionally spontaneously appears without ever holding down the home button.

Could they be related?

The same thing happened quite a few time with my first iPhone 6 plus 128gb. My replacement does it much less now (only once maybe in 2 weeks). Have you tried a clean install? What size iPhone 6 plus have you got?

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
My diagnostic log only has a few of these in there. I have had my iPhone since late September, and I am currently running the 8.4 Public Beta.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
What's wrong with my phone :(

Just had another respring his evening...

Did you enable Dynamic Wallpapers? I've seen Resprings occur on iPad Air 2 and Dynamic Wallpapers causing Springboard to cause Jetsam Events.

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
My diagnostic log only has a few of these in there. I have had my iPhone since late September, and I am currently running the 8.4 Public Beta.

What size iPhone 6 plus have you got? How about when you were on 8.3?

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Did you enable Dynamic Wallpapers? I've seen Resprings occur on iPad Air 2 and Dynamic Wallpapers causing Springboard to cause Jetsam Events.

Nope. Also Tried turning on 'zoom' in display settings and respring still happened.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The same thing happened quite a few time with my first iPhone 6 plus 128gb. My replacement does it much less now (only once maybe in 2 weeks). Have you tried a clean install? What size iPhone 6 plus have you got?

I've tried a clean install then restoring from a backup, but I can't face starting completely afresh.
I've got a 64GB 6 Plus.

Thanks for your help. Do you reckon it's probably a hardware issue? Already on my third 6+ (different issues), it's turning into quite the pest...

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I've tried a clean install then restoring from a backup, but I can't face starting completely afresh.
I've got a 64GB 6 Plus.

Thanks for your help. Do you reckon it's probably a hardware issue? Already on my third 6+ (different issues), it's turning into quite the pest...

Does Apple just recycle these problematic iPhone and give them out to people as replacements? I know it is very draining.

I don't know if it is a hardware issue. That's what I'm trying to find out as well. May have to wait for iOS 8.4 to come out and see if problems are fixed.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Does Apple just recycle these problematic iPhone and give them out to people as replacements? I know it is very draining.

I don't know if it is a hardware issue. That's what I'm trying to find out as well. May have to wait for iOS 8.4 to come out and see if problems are fixed.

It makes you wonder!

I've submitted numerous bug reports with Apple Developer about the issue but they say they can't see anything. I've got an appointment at the Genius Bar on Wednesday so may just ask them and see what they can do.

It's annoying, as it's not easily replicated but drives me mad. I've been keeping a log of when my phone just freezes, happens 2-5 times a day. Incredibly frustrating, especially when the Siri tone randomly sounds in a quiet place!

Edit: Just rechecked the JetsamEvent logs, it's been Monday here for an hour and ten minutes and have 26 from today alone. No idea if the two issues are related though, and even if this is an issue.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'm surprised people are just now seeing this. 'Jetsam' is what Apple renamed "Low memory" errors in iOS 8. I have been complaining about this since iOS 8 and the 6/6 Plus came out. iOS 8 is a memory hog, especially on 64-bit devices (5s, 6, 6 Plus, iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2, Mini 3) due to the larger instructions. Expect this to be fixed in iOS 9.

FWIW, I have my 6 Plus on beta 3 of 8.4 and I haven't had it crash on me yet. I haven't had it really crash on me in months. I think the last time was on 8.1.x when the whole phone resprung. I also checked the logs on my old 5s I gave to a family member and while it did have Jetsam events, it was generating no where near as many as my 6 Plus. Worth mentioning I have done this in the past with older OS releases and saw the same thing.

Now, who here still believes the 6s shouldn't get more memory and thinks 1GB is enough?

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
My first iPhone 6 plus was respringing everyday so I got a replacement. The replacement resprings much less but still happened 3 times in 2 weeks. Jetsamevents are still happening all over the place, more so than I have seen in 6 or 5s users. This leads me to think it's a hardware problem :(

----------

That is what happened with some of jetsamevents. Not sure why or how to fix. I have at least several of those springboard ones per day.

----------

Had any resprings?

----------

So it never rebooted (0hone restarting showing an apple logo)? What storage size is your 6 plus?

----------

Thanks for checking. What storage size is your 6 plus?

128GB size. I am trying to recall but I really can't remember any reboots I did not instigate because I felt it needed resetting. I can honestly say it has been very stable (as I knock on wood!) No resprings. The biggest problem I have is with audible. It crashes and I can see in the logs that most of the problems I have is with audible. I just tolerate it because I can restart the app and it does not affect the phones functioning.

Last edited:

hankdu

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I'm surprised people are just now seeing this. 'Jetsam' is what Apple renamed "Low memory" errors in iOS 8. I have been complaining about this since iOS 8 and the 6/6 Plus came out. iOS 8 is a memory hog, especially on 64-bit devices (5s, 6, 6 Plus, iPad Air, Air 2, Mini 2, Mini 3) due to the larger instructions. Expect this to be fixed in iOS 9.

FWIW, I have my 6 Plus on beta 3 of 8.4 and I haven't had it crash on me yet. I haven't had it really crash on me in months. I think the last time was on 8.1.x when the whole phone resprung. I also checked the logs on my old 5s I gave to a family member and while it did have Jetsam events, it was generating no where near as many as my 6 Plus. Worth mentioning I have done this in the past with older OS releases and saw the same thing.

Now, who here still believes the 6s shouldn't get more memory and thinks 1GB is enough?

I was one of those people who thought iPhone 6 plus didn't need 2GB ram.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013

It depends how it's being used, if you use very few apps and/or always clear out recent apps from the multitasker you're less likely to run into iOS needing more memory and triggering a Jetjam event. If you never clear apps from the multitasker they'll remain in RAM until the current active app requires more, combine this with using a bunch of RAM hungry apps like games and you'll stack up Jetjam events. Memory leaks and OS hogging will of course add to this.
This page has information on iOS/OSX memory management including Jetsam. This bit in particular is relevant.
"In iOS, memorystatus/jetsam does not print out messages, but certainly leaves a trail of its victims' carcasses in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/LowMemory-YYYY-MM-DD-hhmmss.plist - These logs are generated by the CrashReporter, and similar to crash logs they contain a dump. If you have a Jailbroken device, an easy way to force mass executions by jetsam is to run a small binary which keeps on allocating and memset()ing memory in chunks of 8MB (left as an exercise for the avid reader), and run it. You will see applications die, until the offending binary is (eventually) slain."

Reactions: iamMacPerson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.