Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmahon70

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
Hello,

The Ihone 8 Plus 256Gb is now sold at 749€ at a local store nearby where I live. I am hesitating with Iphone XR 64Gb. Which one takes better pictures? Which one has the best GPS chip?
PS: Could the Iphone 7 plus be also an option for cheaper?

Thank you!

Olivier

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Hello,

The Ihone 8 Plus 256Gb is now sold at 749€ at a local store nearby where I live. I am hesitating with Iphone XR 64Gb. Which one takes better pictures? Which one has the best GPS chip?

Thank you!

Olivier

iPhone Xʀ and iPhone Xʀ. The iPhone Xʀ has a better main camera than the iPhone 8 Plus. It’s just missing a telephoto lens which we rarely use.

Reactions: 5105973

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Just curious ... Is iPhone 8 models also using intel chip like the iphone X?

I want to stay in the iOS camp but my wifi and LTE signal is really a slow compare to android.

Iphone X.. iPhone XR is even worst for me.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Whatever you do, don't buy the Xr. It's overpriced rubbish

What an exaggeration. It’s a perfectly fine device. The Xs has an even better camera and screen.

OP, get the device with the storage that works best for you. Camera differences are there, but if 64 GB is a challenge, skip it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Whatever you do, don't buy the Xr. It's overpriced rubbish
You must absolutely detest the XS by that metric then lol. I own an 8+ but whenever I’ve played with the XR it’s always felt like any other iPhone in terms of build quality and premium experience. It’s a nice phone and as long as Apple offer a phone at that price point, I have no need to look at further options.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
All things considered, I’d get the Xr because I have no use for anything more than a 64gb capacity. Do you?

macmahon70

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
I have the 8 Plus, my wife has the XR... get the XR, the camera, battery life, and Face ID are worth it.

I am hesitating to buy a XR 64gb which will be more expensive than the Iphone 8 Plus 256Gb, with less capacity and features (the telelens is always a plus, better screen resolution)...one year ago this phone was the best Iphone (apart from the X...)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I am hesitating to buy a XR 64gb which will be more expensive than the Iphone 8 Plus 256Gb, with less capacity and features (the telelens is always a plus, better screen resolution)...one year ago this phone was the best Iphone (apart from the X...)

You won’t go wrong with either phone. The 8+ is a solid device too and is as fast as it was back in 2017. I’ve got it and chose it over the XR last October as I wanted the telephoto lens on the camera, plus it was good value for money I felt considering it had wireless charging and a good screen.

How long are you planning to keep the phone because the 8+ will be good for a few years yet.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Hello,

PS: Could the Iphone 7 plus be also an option for cheaper?

Thank you!

Olivier
Xr 128gb

Reactions: ferretex

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Don’t underestimate having the telephoto lense. If you use it for photos, it’s a great option.
The 8+ should be viable for a number of years and it does take nice photos.
That said, if you go with the X-r, and if you like using the phone for photography, there’s quite a selection of very good third-party lenses available for fish eye, macro, and wide angle at good prices.
I’ve personally used a set and they’ve taken very good photos.

The last set I had for my 6S Plus doesn’t work with the case on my current Xs Max. However I just ordered a new case with lenses that I’m looking forward to trying out.

Overall, both phones you’re looking at are good. Just comes down to how much storage you think you need.
My Xs Max has 256gb, yet with over 1,000 photos and more than 2400 songs (and I use high bit rates), i’m Using just about 60mb at this time.
If you back-up and off-load uneeded photos, and manage your music well, 64gb could probably do you fine.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Face ID alone is worth getting the Xr.

I like the Face ID but it would not be a deal beaker. It was nice to be able to pick up/take out the phone with your finger on the button and have it already unlocked as opposed to having to look at it.
Additionally, I use a CPAP machine at night so have to enter my ID manually anyways.

Reactions: macmahon70

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The iPhone 8 still is a perfectly suitable iPhone, it really depends what you want in terms of Face ID or touch ID, and obviously the iPhone 8 also includes 3D Touch as another factor as well, which I personally find one of my favorite features with the iPhone 8, which the XR uses more of a simulated version of that.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
The screen res. difference isn't noticeable day to day, I only notice it when I hold both phones side by side. The telephoto lens is nice, but the XR takes better overall photos than the 8+. I find my 8+ produces nice photos only in bright daylight, but struggles in dim/poor lighting areas, compared to the XR which takes nice photos in all lighting conditions.

macmahon70

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
The screen res. difference isn't noticeable day to day, I only notice it when I hold both phones side by side. The telephoto lens is nice, but the XR takes better overall photos than the 8+. I find my 8+ produces nice photos only in bright daylight, but struggles in dim/poor lighting areas, compared to the XR which takes nice photos in all lighting conditions.

I found very nice night photos of Iphone 8 Plus...https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/2637450826/iphone-8-plus-sample-gallery/6701679567
I am filming quite a lot during concerts and like taking pictures of landscapes, sunsets and family of course. I always took the "not the one from this year but the one from year before" Iphone from Apple, in 2015 I bought the iphone 6 instead of the 6S following this rule, now I may go for the Iphone 8 + (749€ is a very good deal compared to the Apple price...). I read newspapers on it, but of course, from a design point of a view the Iphone XR is very nice! I was also considering Samsung S9 (because I would really benefit dual sim abroad) but I bought an Apple Watch so now i am stuck!

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
The 3 most important reasons I ditched the XR for an 8 Plus:

1. Camera Portrait Mode. Very, very often, (for business, work and personal) I use portrait mode for non-human subjects
and the XR just doesn't cut it for me. The XR handles human portraits very well, though, not markedly better than the
8 Plus. The 8 Plus handles Portrait Mode for inanimate objects seriously better.
2. Display. Text appears much better on the 8 Plus to my aging eyes. Naturally, YMMV.
3. I'm one of the rare heavy users of 3D touch. The XR's attempt to replicate 3D touch isn't ideal for me.

Larger bezels and the older design doesn't bother me one bit. I like the distinctive white face of the 8 Plus and find all of the latest slim bezel designs not very attractive.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
The performance and every day use between the two models will be almost identical. The XR will have a slightly better processor, but will you notice the difference? Most likely not. If the 64gb storage option is an issue for you (and you don't want to pay extra for additional storage) then the answer is obvious for you. Although, if you're already spending several hundred on a new phone, I would just pony up the extra money and get the model / storage you want.

I'm not sure what pricing is by you, but the difference for a 64gb and 128gb XR is $50 here (straight from Apple) which seems like it might be the sweet spot for what you really want.

macmahon70

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
The performance and every day use between the two models will be almost identical. The XR will have a slightly better processor, but will you notice the difference? Most likely not. If the 64gb storage option is an issue for you (and you don't want to pay extra for additional storage) then the answer is obvious for you. Although, if you're already spending several hundred on a new phone, I would just pony up the extra money and get the model / storage you want.

I'm not sure what pricing is by you, but the difference for a 64gb and 128gb XR is $50 here (straight from Apple) which seems like it might be the sweet spot for what you really want.

The pricing here in Belgium/Europe is an issue, because even with the price drop, the cheapest Iphone XR 128 you will find is no less than 870€ in white or black. Although you can get a 64 for 100€ less. I am also considering the Huawei P20 Pro that takes excellent pictures and has impressive tele lens...it is available now around 500€. But I have an Apple Watch ⌚️ so it’s no use with an Android device. My birthday is next Friday so i have to decide soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.