Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
There is a Taptic Engine in the XR, just no 3D Touch
KXBqGyEfY5cFheBO.huge
My bad. No point in removing 3D Touch if there's the Taptic Engine...

macmahon70

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
The Taptic engine...not sure what is it useful for. Well after +/- 10 days, I like my 8+, but I am not yet completely used to the size which is quite big since I am coming from a 6. I am bit eyeing at the people of have 7 or 8 because of the portability (but when I had a 6 - I was eyeing at the people with bigger phones...). I do like the landscape mode but there is no "waw" effect. It is just a bigger Iphone, easier to read magazines/books and more powerful, the apps are opening so fast...

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The 8 is legacy and old, old technology. The XR is shiny and new
It's obvious that you don't seem to care about real life performance or specs. Just design. The 8 is only 1 gen behind the XR so speed differences will not be a major factor until the early 2020s. Just because the design is similar to the 6 and 7 doesn't mean anything. Some people don't care what the back of the phone looks like.

For OP, I would go for the 8+ 256, if not just for the extra space. Second lens would be nice too.
[doublepost=1558623785][/doublepost]
I think the tech that makes 3d Touch work is in the display portion of the phone, the taptic engine is just for the feedback you feel.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If that storage spread doesn’t make the choice completely self-evident for you you probably don’t need the extra storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.