Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goth_goro

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
iphone 4s - fine
iphone 5c - clicking screen
iphone 5s - problem with screen (swapeed in apple store while i was traveling in Netherlands)
iphone 6 - problem with 3.5mm jack
iphone 6 plus - clicking bottom right corner
iphone 6s plus - scratched screen out of the box
iphone 7 plus - creaking like old man leg :)
iphone 8 plus - clicking around front facing camera
apple watch OG - screen pop of by itself

also got 3 mac, 3 ipad, 2 apple tv -zero problems

In my personal opinion with mass producing iphones and using glue all over the place, apple is shooting itself in the foot and it's nixing the apple company mantra (in the steve's way of working and operating)

Reactions: RMP28

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I would like to share my experience with Apples poor quality control. I am an Apple Fanboy, I always have been. I love their products, their software, their innovation, all of it! But what I do not love... is their poor quality control. Every single iPhone I’ve had, it has come out of the box with scratches, marks, chips in the glass, scratches in the glass, you name it I’ve had it. I’m so tired of paying over $1000 aud for a phone and it be less than perfect from the box. I know these things are produced on a mass scale but Jesus, I’m on my 4th iPhone 8 Plus and it’s still not right! My first one had debris under the camera lens, scratches on the front and back glass and clicking and ticking with any sort of pressure on the camera or glass, my second one had marks and nicks all over the aluminium band and small scratches all over the display glass and rear glass yet again, my third one had a graze on the corner of the front glass, little chips and marks in the aluminium band and then my forth the aluminium band is finally perfect, but the back glass has a very very small dimple/chip in the glass and the front glass also has a very small dimple/chip. They are very small but I notice it mainly in direct downlighting of course. Im aware that I do have OCD, but when Im putting my hard earned money into these expensive products I do expect perfection given that Apple charge so much for their products, I just find it poor. But I’ve had this with almost every model of iPhone bar the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S. From the 6 onwards I’ve had nothing but troubles. Can others please share their experiences with quality control. I would really love to hear in detail how you find your iPhones out of the box. Have a wonderful day everyone. =)

i am so glad you started this thread i really have bad experience with 8, first one’s volume rocker was chipped looked like a used iphone, returned it, 2nd one has a scratch on camera and on the back, i took the pictures it didn’t affect the photo quality so i kept that one. Both are verizon and bought at best buy. Come on apple you are so much better than that.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Looks like you all have the 8 Plus. Does this issue only affect that model, or are there people complaining about the 8 having the same problem?

i have 8 and had problems with 2 iphones verizon silver from bestbuy, i still kept the defective one, don’t wanna give loss to apple. the one i kept have scratches on camera and back body but workable.
[doublepost=1507716345][/doublepost]
Your not alone onto my 3rd iPhone 8 too first one had dead pixels second one had dust under the screen.

so your 3rd is okay?

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
i have 8 and had problems with 2 iphones verizon silver from bestbuy, i still kept the defective one, don’t wanna give loss to apple. the one i kept have scratches on camera and back body but workable.

You don’t want to give Apple a loss for a defective product. That doesn’t make sense. I hope I read that wrong.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
You don’t want to give Apple a loss for a defective product. That doesn’t make sense. I hope I read that wrong.

no honestly that scratches is not affecting my usage. i already returned one but that iphone was really bad, the volume rocket was chipped, i was thinking if i sell this in future its value will become low because of that chip. I asked apple employee what they do with returned iphones and he said they sometimes remove parts or sometimes sell as refurbished but he wasn’t sure 100% but truly i don’t wanna give apple any loss if the issue is negligible. But apple should work on their qc it’s really bad this year for me.
[doublepost=1507716989][/doublepost]
I think he means that the glass panel does not sit flush/alighned correctly with the aluminium band. There is a gap in between.
[doublepost=1507690619][/doublepost]

You’re absolutely right, it doesn’t impact the performance of the phone but I guess given the pride themselves on presentation of a product and how “seemless” the design is etc and whatever else Apples marketing team dribble on about, I find it really poor form. You’d think they’d have it all worked out by now. I think the one I have now is probably the pick of the bad bunch, but I’m still far from impressed. =)

i have find out that the first batches of the iphones are rushed and they have problem with qc. but if you purchase it at the middle of the year of release then you will find perfect iphone. this is my personal experience.
[doublepost=1507717151][/doublepost]
I think he means that the glass panel does not sit flush/alighned correctly with the aluminium band. There is a gap in between.
[doublepost=1507690619][/doublepost]

You’re absolutely right, it doesn’t impact the performance of the phone but I guess given the pride themselves on presentation of a product and how “seemless” the design is etc and whatever else Apples marketing team dribble on about, I find it really poor form. You’d think they’d have it all worked out by now. I think the one I have now is probably the pick of the bad bunch, but I’m still far from impressed. =)

i don’t have flush/align issue at all. it’s fit smooth.

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
iphone 4s - fine
iphone 5c - clicking screen
iphone 5s - problem with screen (swapeed in apple store while i was traveling in Netherlands)
iphone 6 - problem with 3.5mm jack
iphone 6 plus - clicking bottom right corner
iphone 6s plus - scratched screen out of the box
iphone 7 plus - creaking like old man leg :)
iphone 8 plus - clicking around front facing camera
apple watch OG - screen pop of by itself

also got 3 mac, 3 ipad, 2 apple tv -zero problems

In my personal opinion with mass producing iphones and using glue all over the place, apple is shooting itself in the foot and it's nixing the apple company mantra (in the steve's way of working and operating)

iPhone 3G - Developed crack by mute swtich (Very common)
iPhone 3GS - Same design issue (Not fixed from previous year)
iPhone 4 - Scratched back (also note 'antenna gate')
iPhone 4s - Fine
iPhone 5 - Fine
iPhone 6 - Fine
iPhone 6S - dust under screen
iPhone 7 - Fine
iphone 8 - Fine

Wish people would stop romantisiing how perfect Apple was under Steve Jobs.

Mass producing these things is always going to result in issues. And people only talk about the issues.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
iPhone 3G - Developed crack by mute swtich (Very common)
iPhone 3GS - Same design issue (Not fixed from previous year)
iPhone 4 - Scratched back (also note 'antenna gate')
iPhone 4s - Fine
iPhone 5 - Fine
iPhone 6 - Fine
iPhone 6S - dust under screen
iPhone 7 - Fine
iphone 8 - Fine

Wish people would stop romantisiing how perfect Apple was under Steve Jobs.

Mass producing these things is always going to result in issues. And people only talk about the issues.
Agreed, I've never had an issue.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
The most disappointing thing in the world is a faulty unit out of the box... First impressions are so important and Apple should adress this.
I've had some good luck with my phones though.

3GS - Good (only got the famous mute button crack after 2 years of usage)

4S - Good (although one screw at the charging port fell off after one year, no biggie)

5 - Not so good, Volume down button was mushy out of the box. Didn't send it back at first, but got tired of it not working correctly

6S+ - Good, still in perfect condition after 2 years

8 Plus - Good, (received it today, yay!)

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

You have the issue where the glass isn't aligned correctly with the edge, or you have scratches on the body?

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
You have the issue where the glass isn't aligned correctly with the edge, or you have scratches on the body?

i just have 2 scratches one on camera lens and one on back, there’s no alignment issue.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The worst QC I've had with an Apple product was the iPhone 5, where my first one had scuffs out of the box. Luckily, other iPhones I've had (4, 6S) don't suffer out of the box problems.
I get smarter on Macs, where I only bought refurbished ones. Not only they are cheaper, they pass through another check and Apple replaced their batteries with new ones as well. Can't get any better than that unless one wanted the retail box.

Reactions: deany

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I got my iPhone 8 on launch day and only yesterday have I discovered that there is a micro scratch on the back of the device. I know I didn't cause it, as I legitimately have OCD and therefore baby my phones and keep them in pristine condition. It's lived all of its life so far in a soft pouch, and it has a screen protector on the front. Have actually just bought one for the back too, because of this damn scratch.

I agree, for how much we pay the phones should be perfect. I'm just gunna try to live with my micro scratch, as you can't actually see it unless in the right light at the right angle. Proving that I didn't scratch the phone to Apple would be nigh on impossible anyway, and I won't be given a refurb - I paid £699 for this phone!

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Your not alone onto my 3rd iPhone 8 too first one had dead pixels second one had dust under the screen.

Oh how frustrating, I’m sorry you’re having quality issues too. I hope you end up with one that’s perfect. =)
[doublepost=1507727839][/doublepost]
i am so glad you started this thread i really have bad experience with 8, first one’s volume rocker was chipped looked like a used iphone, returned it, 2nd one has a scratch on camera and on the back, i took the pictures it didn’t affect the photo quality so i kept that one. Both are verizon and bought at best buy. Come on apple you are so much better than that.

How frustrating for you! I have had chips on the volume rocker before too AND scratches on the camera lens. It’s absolutely unacceptable for a product of this caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zune55

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Oh how frustrating, I’m sorry you’re having quality issues too. I hope you end up with one that’s perfect. =)
[doublepost=1507727839][/doublepost]

How frustrating for you! I have had chips on the volume rocker before too AND scratches on the camera lens. It’s absplutely unacceptable for a product of this caliber.

Maybe Apple thought iPhone 8 will sell like hot cake and rushed it’s manufacturing. I took the picture of volume rocker chip before replacing it but I don’t have with me right now but as soon i get it i will upload it. Did you buy directly from apple or Best Buy? I always buy from apple and never had any issue on earlier iphones. This is the first time i bought from bestbuy and first time using verizon iphone. I was wondering whether the manufacturing issue is because of Verizon iphone or Bestbuy?

Emerald T.

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Hi

Recently I bought iPhone 8 Plus. And what I noticed right away after opening a box is that there was something on the camera glass. At first I thought that this is just some dust and I tried to clean it but nothing happened. When I looked closer I saw that the problem is under the camera glass. It seems like this is a glue left after the glass was glued to the camera bump.

I opened a camera app and I saw that this manufacturing issue has influence on photos: bottom right corner is blurred on each photo. Blur gets 3 to 5 mm in diameter not significant but noticeable.

As to me for these money Apple should manage their manufacturing process with more responsibility especially when it's about camera (as the best smartphone camera according to Apple). Because with such physical issues this camera will not be the best.

Attachments

• 20171004_084007.jpg
    20171004_084007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 328

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hi

Recently I bought iPhone 8 Plus. And what I noticed right away after opening a box is that there was something on the camera glass. At first I thought that this is just some dust and I tried to clean it but nothing happened. When I looked closer I saw that the problem is under the camera glass. It seems like this is a glue left after the glass was glued to the camera bump.

I opened a camera app and I saw that this manufacturing issue has influence on photos: bottom right corner is blurred on each photo. Blur gets 3 to 5 mm in diameter not significant but noticeable.

As to me for these money Apple should manage their manufacturing process with more responsibility especially when it's about camera (as the best smartphone camera according to Apple). Because with such physical issues this camera will not be the best.
Since it affects your photos when taking them, definitely return this if you are within the return window.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Hi

This is EXACTLY what I had on my first 8 plus too! It was slightly longer and more to the left of the lens but exactly the same type of adhesive or scratch on the under side of the lens

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Hi

Yikes-that’s definitely a reason to return ASAP.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
I purchased an 8 Plus a few days ago, but had to return it because there was dust under the rear camera lens. I'm going to wait a month and purchase one again, I'm hoping by then Quality Control will improve. I currently have a Samsung S8, and haven't had any build or quality issues with the phone.

For the price Apple charges I wish they wouldn't rush these phones out and have so many quality control issues. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple waits to the very last minute before starting production because they don't want any design/component/internal leaks to the public, then assembly gets rushed to reach the release date.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Zero issues with 10+ Apple products I have purchased in the past few years. Are you sure you're not buying used stuff on Ebay? Stick to Apple store or authorized retailer, don't blame Apple that the goods you buy on the black market are defective.

Walter.Sobchak79

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
I posted a thread about my IPhone 8 Plus having a scratch in the glass right out of the box about two weeks ago and I got **** on. Most of the replies I got were smart ass and hostile. Not that I am bitter or anything.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
[doublepost=1507791795][/doublepost]
Zero issues with 10+ Apple products I have purchased in the past few years. Are you sure you're not buying used stuff on Ebay? Stick to Apple store or authorized retailer, don't blame Apple that the goods you buy on the black market are defective.

Best not to assume, I don’t purchase any of my Apple Products nor anything I own from some “black market” nor would I know where a “black market is”. I buy them from the Apple Store or Authorised Resellers.

Reactions: Zune55
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.