Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
I just pulled the trigger and bought a refurbed 8 (currently on a 5yr old 5s). Have had no trouble with refurbed in the past and the new phones simply aren't doing it for me (well not for a grand anyway). I'm a pretty simple user, there are more important things. On the down side, I'll probably torment myself though and leave it in the box for 13 days while I make 5 more runs to the Apple store just to make sure I really didn't want an XR. I need a life.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I just pulled the trigger and bought a refurbed 8 (currently on a 5yr old 5s). Have had no trouble with refurbed in the past and the new phones simply aren't doing it for me (well not for a grand anyway). I'm a pretty simple user, there are more important things. On the down side, I'll probably torment myself though and leave it in the box for 13 days while I make 5 more runs to the Apple store just to make sure I really didn't want an XR. I need a life.
I understand, however the XR is massive in comparison to the 5s you’re used too, so it would be a huge transition and you might regret it.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018

Honestly just use the iPhone 8 for now and see what they come out with next year. You aren’t missing out with an iPhone 8, unless you like notches ;)

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
Honestly just use the iPhone 8 for now and see what they come out with next year.

Actually exactly my thinking, not sure this is a phone I will try to burn for 5 years. Lets roll with this for couple years and see if the big phone pendulum doesn't start to swing the other way or at least get some modulation in what a "standard" size is.

Reactions: KNyman

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
How much longer will the 8 last being fast and getting updates from Apple?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

No one can answer these question(s). In terms of support, it should be at least a minimum of three more years based of Apple’s timeline with iOS support, but how the A11 processor will react with future iOS updates, that’s completely undetermined.

Reactions: The Oak

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I put a tempered glass protector on my Wife’s X as she keeps it in a wallet type case with cards and whatnot in the part that folds over the screen. On her previous phone the cards left slight marks on the glass so this time I put the protector on. She has had it for almost a year and it still looks brand new. If I were going for a screen protector on mine I would get a tempered glass one.

Reactions: The Oak

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006

I have a 16 GB 5s purchased December 2013. The 5's just went to vintage status so guessing 5s goes vintage next year. My phone is still accepting updates and after one or two of them I've even gained memory. I've updated the case, screen protector, and battery once. But again I'm not trying to calculate a trip to Mars on mine so its been great for me.

Based on that guessing the 8 is good for another 4 yrs easy, but could push it for 5.

Last edited:

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
The XS is a perfect size phone IMO. I came from 8+ and still ‘fighting’ going small so also trying the XR.. but XS size feels very natural.

I'm planning to switch from 7 Plus to XS because of its size. I've tried the Max and feels very difficult to handle, but my concern is battery life. How do you compare XS battery life vs 8 Plus? My 7 Plus (battery health 85%) gets me through the day, with 4-5 hours SOT at 15-20%. I'm not expecting 2 days of battery from the XS, but at least a comfortable full day of usage.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I'm planning to switch from 7 Plus to XS because of its size. I've tried the Max and feels very difficult to handle, but my concern is battery life. How do you compare XS battery life vs 8 Plus? My 7 Plus (battery health 85%) gets me through the day, with 4-5 hours SOT at 15-20%. I'm not expecting 2 days of battery from the XS, but at least a comfortable full day of usage.
I think you will be ok. I was in same situation. Had 8+ and wanted a smaller phone. Been using XR & XS. Likely going XS.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
So How would I find out If PVM bothers me when trying out the Iphone XS?

Use it for a week or so and if it causes headaches or eye strain you have a problem.

Or get your self a iPhone 8 or XR, save yourself the hassle and also a chunk of money.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
You know I was comparing my SE to an iPhone 8 at Best Buy and the SE screen looked better why do you guys think that would be?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You know I was comparing my SE to an iPhone 8 at Best Buy and the SE screen looked better why do you guys think that would be?

Something to think about, the SE brightness was likely ‘maxed’ at Best Buy, and if your iPhone 8 brightness is considerably reduced, that might be why you’re thinking the screen looked better. And also, Best Buys lighting in the store is very bright from overhead, which might also have an impact on why you thought the display appeared significantly improved.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Something to think about, the SE brightness was likely ‘maxed’ at Best Buy, and if your iPhone 8 brightness is considerably reduced, that might be why you’re thinking the screen looked better. And also, Best Buys lighting in the store is very bright from overhead, which might also have an impact on why you thought the display appeared significantly improved.
No I set it to max brightness on both and turned the true tone off as well, however I do have an otterbox defender case on it with the screen protector on my SE, so that might be it

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
So I tried the XS for awhile didn’t get a headache but when I was scrolling through a white screen with text on it a little fast my eyes did go blurry for a couple seconds, what’s that mean?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I tried the XS for awhile didn’t get a headache but when I was scrolling through a white screen with text on it a little fast my eyes did go blurry for a couple seconds, what’s that mean?

It’s possible you have not been using the device long enough for your eyes to be fully adjusted yet. And for the record, PWM doesn’t necessarily mean you will get headaches, it also can cause different variations of eye strain in addition.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
It’s possible you have not been using the device long enough for your eyes to be fully adjusted yet. And for the record, PWM doesn’t necessarily mean you will get headaches, it also can cause different variations of eye strain in addition.
oh ok

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I have had the 8 and now have the XS, personally I prefer the home button and tbe lighter iPhone 8, the only thing making me keep the Xs is the camera!

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I have had the 8 and now have the XS, personally I prefer the home button and tbe lighter iPhone 8, the only thing making me keep the Xs is the camera!
How would you compare them both to the SE I have now? Having a hard time deciding between those two.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I am kipping my iPhone 8+ as long as I can, or if Apple will remove the NOTCH (I can't stand it) I was happy they didn't put it on the new iPad pro so I could buy it and I did,
my point on the NOTCH is this :- for those people that is not a big deal they will buy the iPhone with or without it,
for this that it an issue they will not buy it.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I am kipping my iPhone 8+ as long as I can, or if Apple will remove the NOTCH (I can't stand it) I was happy they didn't put it on the new iPad pro so I could buy it and I did,
my point on the NOTCH is this :- for those people that is not a big deal they will buy the iPhone with or without it,
for this that it an issue they will not buy it.
Why don’t you like the notch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.