Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It's
like a dent in you windshield on landscape mode it on the way the screen became asymmetric
I like symmetric screen

shm76

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
I just pulled the trigger and bought a refurbed 8 (currently on a 5yr old 5s). Have had no trouble with refurbed in the past and the new phones simply aren't doing it for me (well not for a grand anyway). I'm a pretty simple user, there are more important things. On the down side, I'll probably torment myself though and leave it in the box for 13 days while I make 5 more runs to the Apple store just to make sure I really didn't want an XR. I need a life.

Did you stay with the 8? I am on my last day of the 14 day window with an 8, after having a 6. Was wishing I could purchase the XS (like the similar size), but after reading posts here like this one feel pretty good about keeping my 8 for a couple years.

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

raythepa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
Did you stay with the 8?

Actually have been sitting here with it in its original purchase condom for the last week. This one feels right tbh. I have another week until my 14 days are up and just wondering if I should get into the Walmart mess to save $400 on a new phone or see if Apple will comp me an AppleCare license. I do think this is the phone I will keep though and run it for 4 years. I simply just cannot accept the $500 dollar diff between the refurb and an Xs.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Did you stay with the 8? I am on my last day of the 14 day window with an 8, after having a 6. Was wishing I could purchase the XS (like the similar size), but after reading posts here like this one feel pretty good about keeping my 8 for a couple years.
How's it been with the 8 for the 14 days? I have the SE currently and am having a hard time deciding between the 8 and XS

shm76

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Actually have been sitting here with it in its original purchase condom for the last week. This one feels right tbh. I have another week until my 14 days are up and just wondering if I should get into the Walmart mess to save $400 on a new phone or see if Apple will comp me an AppleCare license. I do think this is the phone I will keep though and run it for 4 years. I simply just cannot accept the $500 dollar diff between the refurb and an Xs.

Yes, I keep thinking/dreaming about the xs and then just can't stomach the price jump. Mostly for me it'd be for the camera, but the camera on the 8 seems great, and better than the 6 I was using. I also like the look and the feel, was just mostly feeling like I spent a bunch of money on a new phone and it isn't really that new (like when I jumped to 6 from 4 it was a bigger upgrade feel).
[doublepost=1542332792][/doublepost]
How's it been with the 8 for the 14 days? I have the SE currently and am having a hard time deciding between the 8 and XS

I really like it. Was mostly wishing I could get the XS because of wanting the best there is in terms of camera in a phone. I use it a lot for photos for work and life. Instagram, etc. But the 8 camera seems really great to me, an upgrade from my 6. But it looks very very similar to my 6, I chose the same color, etc.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Yes, I keep thinking/dreaming about the xs and then just can't stomach the price jump. Mostly for me it'd be for the camera, but the camera on the 8 seems great, and better than the 6 I was using. I also like the look and the feel, was just mostly feeling like I spent a bunch of money on a new phone and it isn't really that new (like when I jumped to 6 from 4 it was a bigger upgrade feel).
[doublepost=1542332792][/doublepost]

I really like it. Was mostly wishing I could get the XS because of wanting the best there is in terms of camera in a phone. I use it a lot for photos for work and life. Instagram, etc. But the 8 camera seems really great to me, an upgrade from my 6. But it looks very very similar to my 6, I chose the same color, etc.
Plus with the XS you would have to get used to Face ID, Notch and no home button so your going with what is comfortable

Reactions: shm76

shm76

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Plus with the XS you would have to get used to Face ID, Notch and no home button so your going with what is comfortable

Yeah, the Face ID thing I started reading about and I think I might feel uncomfortable with the thing scanning my face. Although it is probably what they will all be some day I guess. That part doesn't appeal to me. Just the camera and the new look...something different. I like the 8 a lot, like the look of the white front and the white silicone cover. It is a bit bold in a way, but also quiet and simple.

Reactions: raythepa

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Yeah, the Face ID thing I started reading about and I think I might feel uncomfortable with the thing scanning my face. Although it is probably what they will all be some day I guess. That part doesn't appeal to me. Just the camera and the new look...something different. I like the 8 a lot, like the look of the white front and the white silicone cover. It is a bit bold in a way, but also quiet and simple.
Im also worried about watching vids with the notch and it cutting off part of the video

shm76

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Im also worried about watching vids with the notch and it cutting off part of the video
oh I didn't think of that, not sure that would happen but maybe, definitely seems there are some strong opinions about not liking the notch so it is probably an issue.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
I think you made a good decision. The XR is a big jump in size from your 5S and easing yourself into it with a refurb 8 which is a steal of a deal is a great idea IMO

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The notch is not an issue, the larger form factor is an adjustment over time (Assuming one is comfortable with larger phones), that said, find lacking home button and adjusting to gesture controls is different, but the user will quickly adjust, being its extremely intuitive. Face ID is great technology, but it’s not perfect, and has its qualms when unlocking at times, Touch ID is still very much relevant, even though not part of the iPhones future at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.