Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I think you are underestimating the largest corpororation in america. This is 2016.
I have a 1gb limit. And when the phone spends 150 mb just lying on the table, on mobile network instead of your own wifi, thats a problem.

No where in settings or an Apples own website does it tell you that it powers down wifi when you lock the screen. Or that automatic updates will transfer over mobile data despite your wifi connection. Or that leaving it out the charger puts you at risk of using mobile data (what in the world?).

Like I said. I have been using this same damn phone for three+ years. This has never happened untill now. And most the apps I´ve been using has been the same. And to your comment in regards to size. Several hundred megabytes is ALOT when your iPhone is just 16gb.

And yes, wifi assist is off, and roaming is off. I find it hard to understand that its common knowledge to users around the the world the phone you have set to wifi, still uses mobile data instead.
If data is such a concern, why do you let your phone automatically do data-intensive things? Try turning off automatic downloads, push notifications, etc....
[doublepost=1479236071][/doublepost]
I have just done this and turned off ALOT of apps, including app store. Which is the offender for this data waste. If I want to maintain my LTE speed for the rest of the month, I now have to pay my phone company extra. Twice the price of my regular fee. Because of this data waste. So I find it hard to see how this has always been this way.

Hopefully this means they will stop working in the background. But does turning these apps off means you cant use them even when you open them? What happens then?

I have also turned off automatic updates completely now. I don´t trust Apple anymore after this. I guess I´ll go a few years back in time and handle everything manually again. To avoid my phone bills rising automatically.
Why didn't you turn them off before? Clearly this is your fault, as you allowed automatic updates to occur... it isn't apple. You very likely only recently have downloaded some apps (or some apps you own have had updates) that allow them to do thing in the background, with your permission. You never told them to stop.

Some good advice, but data consumption depends on consumer. My wife and I SHARE 2GB of data and have only gone over once in the last 24 months or so. Wifi is so ubiquitous, more than that would be a waste for us. Also, since VZW has rollover and voluntary throttling if I use all my data, I'm never worried about it.

Each to his own.

Just giving general `safe` advice, in the end you are absolutely correct, if he can bump up to 2 GB and it's enough, then so be it, but I was keeping in mind his desire for automation, which in that case, automatic app updates might be a big offender.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Just giving general `safe` advice, in the end you are absolutely correct, if he can bump up to 2 GB and it's enough, then so be it, but I was keeping in mind his desire for automation, which in that case, automatic app updates might be a big offender.
Totally agree.

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
If it does then I would not be connected to AT&T WiFi calling upon waking the screen of my iPhone. It takes a minimum of 2 minutes to reconnect to AT&T WiFi calling after a wifi connection is lost. I am 100% certain that my phone does not drop the connection.

Just turned off wifi and turned it back on. Att wifi calling was active within 10 seconds of wifi being turned back on.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If data is such a concern, why do you let your phone automatically do data-intensive things? Try turning off automatic downloads, push notifications, etc....
[doublepost=1479236071][/doublepost]
Why didn't you turn them off before? Clearly this is your fault, as you allowed automatic updates to occur... it isn't apple. You very likely only recently have downloaded some apps (or some apps you own have had updates) that allow them to do thing in the background, with your permission. You never told them to stop.

Of course, this is all on the OP. Apple was never to blame.

The laughable part to all this was his assertion that it was. Now with some settings turned off, he should be fine.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just turned off wifi and turned it back on. Att wifi calling was active within 10 seconds of wifi being turned back on.

Not a chance. Even AT&T support has said 2 minutes is 100% normal. If you go into airplane mode and then wifi on. It will take a minimum of 2 minutes it activate AT&T WiFi.

But regardless. Let's take your 10 second claim to be true. My point still stands. It would take 10 seconds for AT&T WiFi to appear. But when I wake my home screen I'm already connected to AT&T WiFi therefore proving my phone does not drop WiFi when sleeping.

Reactions: macTW

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

The laughable part to all this was his assertion that it was. Now with some settings turned off, he should be fine.
When I knew I had data limits, the first thing I did was went through settings to prevent any automatic data usage... Seems like the logical thing to do. The OP never did, and now wants to blame Apple for his obvious mistakes.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008

Laughable? What is laughable about Apples phone updating apps automatically over cellular network despite the user having connected the phone to his own wifi?

That means IOS uses the mobile network on its own action, without user input, which means IOS spends money the user has not himself actively accepted. I absolutely think that IOS should tell you "automatic updates will happen over your cellular network" when you turn this on.

You are aware that the iPhone is a subsidized business model by the network companies? And the fact that they perfectly knew this to be a cost without none of this information hitting the end user has me rightfully suspicious.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Laughable? What is laughable about Apples phone updating apps automatically over cellular network despite the user having connected the phone to his own wifi?

That means IOS uses the mobile network on its own action, without user input, which means IOS spends money the user has not himself actively accepted. I absolutely think that IOS should tell you "automatic updates will happen over your cellular network" when you turn this on.

You are aware that the iPhone is a subsidized business model by the network companies? And the fact that they perfectly knew this to be a cost without none of this information hitting the end user has me rightfully suspicious.

Yes, we get it.
Its everyone elses fault but your own.
You have no responsibility of monitoring your data usage or turning off the option that YOU enabled to automatically update app store apps over cellular network.
Bad Apple :D

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, we get it.
Its everyone elses fault but your own.
You have no responsibility of monitoring your data usage or turning off the option that YOU enabled to automatically update app store apps over cellular network.
Bad Apple :D
How is it my fault? Did I design IOS and implement automatic downloads? That for some reason the phone wants to do on cellular network? Even when the user has told the phone to be on wifi?

Should I monitor my phones usage when its inactive and make sure that it really is using my wifi that I have connected it to?

There should be a button that says "Always use wifi". Just so you can make sure that the phone gets it. Cause its not clear enough obviously. Have you seen those coffee shops advertising "Free wifi"? Where people come in to escape the costly mobile network? Now get ready to blow their mind. It doesnt matter anyway.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

That means IOS uses the mobile network on its own action, without user input

No need to read further. User input is necessary. Did you even read the terms and conditions?

Settings are defaulted by Apple to the most common or most convenient setting. It's entirely your fault that you failed to even consider going through, despite your lack of data, to prevent any automatic or pushed sequences from taking your data. It's the most common sensical thing to do. Why didn't you?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How is it my fault? Did I design IOS and implement automatic downloads? That for some reason the phone wants to do on cellular network? Even when the user has told the phone to be on wifi?

Should I monitor my phones usage when its inactive and make sure that it really is using my wifi that I have connected it to?

There should be a button that says "Always use wifi". Just so you can make sure that the phone gets it. Cause its not clear enough obviously. Have you seen those coffee shops advertising "Free wifi"? Where people come in to escape the costly mobile network? Now get ready to blow their mind. It doesnt matter anyway.

There is a button.. Its called "Use Cellular Data"...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You enabled a setting that is off by default.
Settings/itunes & App Store/ use cellular data for automatic downloads.
You still dont get.
I never have that problem because I never turned on that option.
I only do updates manually and I check and install them when Im on wifi.
You keep claiming that the phone did it but the updates might have been downloaded when you were away from wifi, like others told you above the time your carrier reports carrier data used is not real time exact second. It takes a while for the network to collect all your data from various cell towers, calculate and then display its usage to you.
But I get it, its the big bad Apple conspiring with your carrier trying to steal your money:D

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

It is your responsibility to review phone settings and adjust accordingly to what falls inline with your calling plan, etc.

I got my first smartphone last Oct. And you can bet your a**, I went thru all the setting screens to make sure the phone was set the way I wanted.

If a particular setting was unclear, I made a note to find out later what it did. Under no circumstances did I believe if Apple defaulted to turning something ON/OFF that it was necessarily the setting I should go with.

You apparently only did this after you were told by your carrier that you were over the limit.

In short, you were lazy.

Last edited:

aidenh37

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Now, I don't want to be 'that guy' but this is one reason why I switched to Android. When I was on a 200MB data limit on iPhone 4s, the phone would sneakly use up a third of it in the background. So I had to pay more money. Not fun.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Do you realize that 16GB phone has nothing to do with data usage. Size of memory on phone has nothing to do with what it is or isn't processing.

I don't see this problem on my iPhone

Reactions: macTW

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Anyone on iOS 9.3.5? Or anyone who´s experienced their data plan mysteriously maxing out way before it´s supposed to?

9.3.2, but because am on a metered plan, am always careful with cellular data. I go into my Apps and for most of them have selected DO NOT use cellular data, then my WIFI Assist is OFF. Lastly because am one of those wackos who don't like to be bothered, almost always tell my Apps DO NOT send me notifications. YMMV.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I did not know that my 7 will shut down the WiFi when locked.

Anyone else know this?

Apparently this is known among mobile network providers.

Nobody knows that....because that's not how iOS works.

am I the only one who's phone always stays connected to wifi, sucks to be OP

No you are not the only one. I've never had my iPhone drop WiFi while the device was sleeping.
It's interesting to read all of that given that this kind of thing has been around for years (and this is just a subset of threads just here at MR--given that there are more in other places online, in addition to various articles/blogs about it--that bring it up):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...phone-goes-into-sleep-mode-is-locked.1985513/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6-wifi-turns-off-when-locked.1968340/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-logs-out-every-time-i-lock-my-iphone-5c.1954121/
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-wifi-when-locked-and-not-on-charge.1836063/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-disables-when-locked-when-charging.1717203/
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fi-randomly-when-the-phone-is-locked.1699640/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/does-wifi-still-disconnect-when-phone-is-locked.1636347/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-5-wifi-cuts-off-when-locked.1494167/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/phone-reverts-to-lte-from-wifi-when-screen-locked.1466183/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-disconnects-when-locked.1454385/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/when-my-iphone-is-locked-is-it-connected-to-wifi-or-3g.863542/

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There must be certain conditions that must be met for WiFi to shut off. And I'm assuming that low cellular signal is one of them. Maybe shutting off WiFi when you have 4 or 5 bars will save battery but it will most definitely hurt battery life if you have 1 bar like I do at home.
There are certainly some conditions that have been more or less established where it doesn't/shouldn't happen, like when plugged in to a power source, or when cellular data/signal is disabled or not available or perhaps something else like that. There might be more these days with WiFi calling being in play, for example. But WiFi disconnecting at least after some time once the device has been locked (assuming there's a cellular connection that is enabled and no power source) doesn't appear to be all that unusual and in some senses even seems to be the norm for the most part.

It's hard to say what the expected behavior is really supposed to be since I don't quite recall ever coming across it being officially (or even really unofficially) being documented in some way, just basically observations and conclusions that people have been able to draw over the years essentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.