Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone X With or without a case

• Total voters

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
From iPhone 4 on, never had a case or screen protector. Never had an issue. Off and on I have had AppleCare+, never had to use it. So I am not sure if I will get it for my X. Still pondering. These devices are too nice to wrap up in plastic. Never understood that.

It's like parents with their first child. Always over do it. When the second, third and fourth come, it's like eh... whatever.

I don't live in fear of scratching, dropping or damaging my phone. If I do, I will get it fixed or replaced. It's just a device. Can always be replaced.

Reactions: MisterMillz

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Never in my life have I used a screen protector. But I do always run cases. I live a pretty active lifestyle. Lots of throwing the phone around onto the floors of gyms as I do my sets. Running. Hiking. Biking. My phone has fallen out of my pocket many times. I can't stand the feeling of armbands. It feels like I am perpetually getting my blood pressure taken.

So yea, a case is a must otherwise I would be putting in far too many claims to keep AppleCare.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I've love to go naked, but I'm too big a klutz to even attempt it. I don't mind the case so much. But for the first time ever, I'm not a fan of the screen protector. I think my issue is that they used to extend off the ends of the screen into the bezels, so it wasn't nearly as noticeable. Now that the bezels are essentially gone, I happen to find it a LOT more distracting. Still, I drop my phone multiple times per week on average, so it's just not worth taking it off. Maybe I just need to find one that wraps around the screen more rather than just ending at the edges.
Multiple times per week? Maybe you should keep it wrapped with bubble wrap. ;)

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Apologize for the confusion..what I meant was over time will the camera lens scratch affecting the quality of the picture being taken...assuming no case is being used.

Most cases don’t actually protect the camera anyway. Just be careful and it’ll be fine.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Caseless and no screen protector. But I should add that I'm also very cautious with my devices and I have been fortunate to not have any accidents. I just prefer to use the iPhone exactly how it is out of the box.

This is exactly what I feel like but just for my sanity recently got a bumper case for the 8 plus.

Reactions: 44267547

Nuutti

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Was using Apple silicone RED for a while but it collected so much lint from jean pockets. So stopped using it and went naked

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Just curious how many will be going naked with their iPhone X.
Apple Leather case (saddle brown)... mostly because the damn thing is too slippery without, and because I won’t like the phone all wobbly when laying on a table.

Plus I kindof like the feel and look of leather.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I'd love to go naked but I commute on a motorbike every day so the phone is in and out of my pockets all the time. Because of this alone I chose to get a clear Spigen case and Spigen screen protector so I can still see the beauty of the phone knowing its somewhat protected :)

I do have phone insurance with my bank account but still dont want it to get scratched etc.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I bought Apple care plus, however, this iPhone ( and the last 4 ) are too thin to hold comfortably horizontally without a case! The case gives me a place to place my right thumb so I dont touch the screen corner in landscape. I also for the 1st time in YEARS bought the Apple store installed glass screen protector. It’s guaranteed for a year. With all this ( it’s not like I’m putting it in an Otterbox or lifeproof) -I feel free to enjoy the phone.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
With a cass no choice, ipaid 1500 cad and Apple care + is just too expensive at 249 plus tax. I understand that this phone is super gorgeous and looks awesome without a case but i just can’t do it... To get the best of both worlds i bought a super slim case from spigen, weights about 4.5 grams and maybe 3mm thick

77cf7f7d316ecaaf24338f2c6ea912d1.jpg

4829d025c3717394526995ed1253a5c5.jpg

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
I have a Tozo 3D screen protector on mine, everything works like it should (FaceID, camera, proximity sensor, etc)! Neither clarity or touch are affected by any amount that I can tell. I can't stand this glass protectors that finish short of the screen's edge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Technology-Premium-Tempered-Hardness-glass-3D-Black/dp/B0759GJBPZ

Cases are a dime a dozen and an individual preference, so I won't bother linking the 3 or 4 I've chosen. You can be sure my X will never leave the carpeted rooms of my house naked.

I wonder how long before someone makes a glass protector for the back?
[doublepost=1510358667][/doublepost]
Most cases don’t actually protect the camera anyway. Just be careful and it’ll be fine.
The case I chose has a ridge at each corner to lift the lens off a flat surface, it has the added effect of cancelling the wobble when it's laying down.

I know I said I wouldn't bother linking any cases, but this one does exactly that: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0756VDY3Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Apple leather case with no screen protector. I like the raw feeling when touching the screen.

I think this is a good combination. The lip protects the screen from day to day bumps and if you’re careful with what’s in your pockets you should be ok

I am also experimenting with the caudabe lucid clear + edge to edge screen protector (got an orzly delivered yesterday). Very slim and clear but needs a screen protector due to no lip

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Case and screen protector.

Better safe than sorry. And I also carry insurance but that is primarily to address lost and stolen phones.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Screen protector and Apple silicon case this time. Used my previous iPhone without case and protector which got scratched pretty easily. So I'm not using my X naked

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Never in my life have I used a screen protector. But I do always run cases. I live a pretty active lifestyle. Lots of throwing the phone around onto the floors of gyms as I do my sets. Running. Hiking. Biking. My phone has fallen out of my pocket many times. I can't stand the feeling of armbands. It feels like I am perpetually getting my blood pressure taken.

So yea, a case is a must otherwise I would be putting in far too many claims to keep AppleCare.

A case yes but it’s a shame to put a screen protector on the beautiful X display. I’ve always used screen protectors on all my iPhones and this is the first time I’m not. I don’t want to take away from the display. Stuff looks likes it’s actually painted on the display.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
Wonder how the full body glass screen screen protector would be. I’m good about dropping my phones ... a lot of times I do full body wraps on my phones but never with the glass kind .

This is exactly what I am looking for a well...a curved full body glass protector.

I am currently going caseless because I have so far bought 6 minimal or clear cases and don't like a single one. Basically any case I have tried ruins the phone. The screen which appears expansive becomes smaller with a case, the stainless bands are hidden even with a clear case and the overall feel of the phone is ruined.

I'm not ending my search but having not used a case on my 7+ or 6+ am thinking of just going naked.

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I'm not brave enough to do naked day-to-day, especially after what I went through just to get my phone at launch as promised. The phone is just too premium and too expensive.

Right now I'm rocking a Speck Presidio Grip/i-Blason E2E screen protector combo that I'm completely in love with.
I just look up I Blason glass screen protector on their website only 14 dollars,how was the quality?
[doublepost=1510399311][/doublepost].
[doublepost=1510399646][/doublepost]
E05A43CD-2F58-4362-8340-2E9EEA29C1CC.jpeg
B4F374B1-08BD-4BA4-AC3C-A1F554EC045D.jpeg
E3F49981-D00B-4A63-A1D2-604A239CB713.jpeg
Nomad Rugged Case and BodyGuardz glass screen protector

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharan Chadha

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
No case, no AppleCare+. Just a screen protector. View attachment 734498

I was at the Apple store yesterday and was talking to one of the people at the Genius Bar and asked if any of the new X's have been brought in yet for repair and she said that one came in this week for shattered back glass and had to be replaced. No Apple Care. I think that the cost was about $550!. The person was upset but paid to have it replaced.

Be extra careful if you don't have Apple Care and don't have a case.......

Reactions: Charadis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.