Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone X With or without a case

• Total voters

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
The phone is too slippery without a case. As soon as Rhino Shield releases the bumper I will be ordering that. I've never broken a screen using the rhino shield bumper and front and back screen protector film.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The phone is too slippery without a case. As soon as Rhino Shield releases the bumper I will be ordering that. I've never broken a screen using the rhino shield bumper and front and back screen protector film.

I would like to use that as well. But I think it cannot protect against hard edge drops. Any experience with that?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For me, it’s not just the damage that results if I drop it, but the fact that I feel I’m much more likely to drop the phone without a case. Even if the glass back makes it less slippery than previous iPhones, I just don’t have as good a grip on it as with a case.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I have a clear rubber case that’s fairly thin, and a screen protector. Not much added bulk and should keep the phone pristine.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Thanks for reminding me about their bumper case, I also pre ordered one.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I was at the Apple store yesterday and was talking to one of the people at the Genius Bar and asked if any of the new X's have been brought in yet for repair and she said that one came in this week for shattered back glass and had to be replaced. No Apple Care. I think that the cost was about $550!. The person was upset but paid to have it replaced.

Be extra careful if you don't have Apple Care and don't have a case.......

That’s sad, and unfortunate. I don’t really worry about it too much. I have had a couple incidents happen in the past, dented bottom corner of my 5s, chipped a tiny piece off front glass of my 4. If this one breaks, I will just have to suck it up like before.

I’m not perfect, but this phone does not deserve to be jailed in a case :)

Reactions: MisterMillz

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Naked and no AC for me. So far so good but the phone is quite slick. I'll probably end up getting an Apple leather case for it.

MacTea

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
Have Belkin glass screen protector and Otterbox Defender. It adds volume but I'm known to drop phones and rather not risk it.

ManuCH

macrumors 65832
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
As much as I would like using it naked, I don't want it to get scratched/dented. I'm using it with an Apple silicone case RED.

But no screen protector for me, hell no! Regardless of how good they are, they seem to spoil the experience for me. Also, in 10 years of owning iPhones, not once did I scratch the screen, so statistically I'm probably kinda safe.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This phone just feels way too damn good with nothing on it. The stainless steel and the glass back just feel amazing.
Caseless all the way. A case ruins how I would feel about this phone honestly.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
This phone just feels way too damn good with nothing on it. The stainless steel and the glass back just feel amazing.
Caseless all the way. A case ruins how I would feel about this phone honestly.

totally agree.

I had every iPhone since the 3GS, this is the first iPhone ever which really doesn't deserve a case.
For me, it would completly ruin my overal user experience.

''It feels great in the hand....ladies, you know what to do'' :D

Reactions: MisterMillz

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
totally agree.

I had every iPhone since the 3GS, this is the first iPhone ever which really doesn't deserve a case.
For me, it would completly ruin my overal user experience.

''It feels great in the hand....ladies, you know what to do'' :D
Same. Well I did have a case on my 3g. I had a bumper on the 4(the free one) that I took off after 6 months. Since then ive been careless.
This phone is the best feeling phone I have ever felt. Just tonight I was just running my finger up and down the stainless on the side and the back edge just laying on the couch over and over. It just feels goooood haha.
I feel like im a try hardware freak. Feel is everything.

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Naked. Haven't used a case since iPhone 4.
I had a 6 previously and feel that skin touching glass creates better grip than aluminium. The X is heavier though.

Ides of March

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Where the bullet comes....
While my wife and I were getting the X by the time I arrived at the Verizon store she already had a case on it.
A couple days ago we put a protective cover on the screen as well. I am going to get another case because I really dont like the one I have on but I'm not chancing dropping the phone and cracking anything. Too expensive.
Cheers to those who go without, your a better man than me.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I had my iPhone X in a very thin case (0,3mm) for a few days, it totally ruined my user experience.

IMO, this is the first iPhone ever which absolutely doesn't deserve a case.

The grip, design and ergonomics of this iPhone, naked, is just incredible.

So I am rocking this master piece of design as it supposed to be...in full glory, naked.

Who's with me?!

Reactions: dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
the thing is that people are afraid of damaging/scratching the phone. for most people, it's a huge "investment".
however, i think we should always try and use it as it was designed to be used: naked. sure, use a case in specific situations (gym, while biking, in situations where the environment won't be as "nice" to your gadgets).

I don't like cases, but they are a must if you want to try and keep your phone in pristine condition...but will you enjoy using it with a case?

i seldom drop a phone. last time it happened was like 3 years ago or so..at the cinema. it slid from my pocket while sitting and that was it. lol

there's also the option to use a skin...

Reactions: Vundu and Geert76

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
I had my iPhone X in a very thin case (0,3mm) for a few days, it totally ruined my user experience.

IMO, this is the first iPhone ever which absolutely doesn't deserve a case.

The grip, design and ergonomics of this iPhone, naked, is just incredible.

So I am rocking this master piece of design as it supposed to be...in full glory, naked.

Who's with me?!
Do you have Apple care+?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.