Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
So the chargegate is real, it has happened to me once but not often - but many people are experiencing this regularly.

Some people's phones are locking up, some people are saying it charges then stops further on.

This should be fixable by software on the whole, but some of the problems seem a bit more complicated.

But my thoughts are this is terrible, a bloody disgrace. I paid a premium for the ease of use, build quality and the 'just works' thing.

The manufacturing cost of this iPhone Xs and Max is low, everybody knows and they are very profitable. But if we are running into issues like this, it's just not fair on us - we pay for their big houses, cars and holidays.

As Lou said being able to charge your phone is number one, the first of the basic needs. Even as an Apple fan, I am disappointed because this isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. And if they haven't got teams or programs to test these devices to be ready for release, then why can you justify the trillion dollar valuation. Future phones which will probably cost £1500-2000, no doubt we will go out and buy, but we have expectations at those prices.

Is it the case that we are indeed sheep and Apple knows release it, broken or not, they will buy?

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Didnt bother to search clearly, multiple threads on this. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-iphone-xs-max-charging-issues.2143595/

And stop the the -gate crap.

Stop the gate crap?

Ok let's all stop highlighting any issues which these expensive phones have so it never gets fixed.

That Lou highlighted many issues, like the bendgate for example. Some people on this very forum said there was no issue yet in the next phone Apple strengthened the chassis around the volume button and the problem disappeared. Hmm, if there wasn't a problem then why did Apple fix it?

These issues need highlighting, clearly. Lou, although unpopular here, is doing us a big favour in some ways.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Stop the gate crap?

Ok let's all stop highlighting any issues which these expensive phones have so it never gets fixed.

That Lou highlighted many issues, like the bendgate for example. Some people on this very forum said there was no issue yet in the next phone Apple strengthened the chassis around the volume button and the problem disappeared. Hmm, if there wasn't a problem then why did Apple fix it?

These issues need highlighting, clearly. Lou, although unpopular here, is doing us a big favour in some ways.

Again look at the thread dates, poted WELL before that clown's video today. Get off his hangers he didn't do or discover crap for anyone except read on the internet and clickbait for $$$$$ via more views.

Gates are immature nonsense use for pure shock value of the word when it's a simple bug

Last edited:

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
The thing about Lou's video (surprisingly enough) is that it's properly done.

Known working charger. More than 1-3 phones. Clear video evidence. Repeated tests.

It's way too easy to dismiss random forum posts; I for one appreciated this Lou video.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The term "gate" as is often carelessly used around here for shock value, was taken from "Watergate" by some internet strangers who didn't care about fact or context.

There has been no coverup by Apple that we are aware of. And indirect video evidence shows the charging issue some are having to be iOS related.

There is no gate.
The main reason "gate" is used is because the term "antennagate" was coined for the iPhone 4. Ever since then, every problem has had "gate" attached to it.

IOW, all of this is referencing the iPhone 4's problems, not Watergate directly, even though the original iPhone 4 gate was a play off Watergate.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The main reason "gate" is used is because the term "antennagate" was coined for the iPhone 4. Ever since then, every problem has had "gate" attached to it.

IOW, all of this is referencing the iPhone 4's problems, not Watergate directly.
The gate from the iPhone 4 came from the Watergate reference (coverup and deny). If you think it didn't, you are mistaken.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Again look at the thread dates, poted WELL before that clown's video today. Get off his hangers he didn't do or discover crap for anyone except read on the internet and clickbait for $$$$$ via more views.

Gates are immature nonsense use for pure shock value of the word when it's a simple bug

To be fair his video was the first I’ve seen of this. There will always be earlier reports of things but that doesn’t mean everyone will see it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Stop the gate crap?

Take it back and get your money refunded. When Apple fixes with an update buy it again.

Even better go to wireless charging.

Last edited:

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
To be fair, when I read the instruction manual it clearly states that In update 12 iOS 12 you need to unlock your phone before it except anything in the USB port. Therefore I think it is a software issue that they may decide to undo any further update please read and let me know what you think.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
The term "gate" as is often carelessly used around here for shock value, was taken from "Watergate" by some internet strangers who didn't care about fact or context.

There has been no coverup by Apple that we are aware of. And indirect video evidence shows the charging issue some are having to be iOS related.

There is no gate.

"Around here"? Were you born yesterday? All tech. companies face the same phrases. "Gate" more often means "your problem is so egregious, you'd have to be an idiot to have not noticed it earlier."

It's the typical cart before the horse maneuvering....that's often needed for Apple to respond.

Apple won't acknowledge problems until they have a fix on the way. But this silence signals to consumers, "Apple doesn't care about this genuine problem."

Apple should've caught this one earlier; then, could've sent out a small two-sentence blurb to news outlets about the upcoming fix. Clearly, it's been a few days and they've said no such thing, so people got frustrated. Apple asked for their highest prices this year; they should likewise have ensured no device-level quality issues.

Reactions: rbrian and MattEcho

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
To be fair, when I read the instruction manual it clearly states that In update 12 iOS 12 you need to unlock your phone before it except anything in the USB port. Therefore I think it is a software issue that they may decide to undo any further update please read and let me know what you think.

Not sure if when you said "to be fair" if you're defending Apple and stating this is normal behavior. However, a charger is not an accessory. So that statement in the manual does not apply.

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017

See. This is why Lou made the video and people can chill on the hate: not all iOS 12 devices are behaving similarly. This is clearly unintentional.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
Not sure if when you said "to be fair" if you're defending Apple and stating this is normal behavior. However, a charger is not an accessory. So that statement in the manual does not apply.
Don’t be so sensitive. I meant nothing by it.

I am probably suffering just about as much is anybody from technology OCD. However, in this case when you read apples instruction manual it definitely explains that the iPhone needs to be unlocked before any assessor he is plugged into the USB port. Now whether or not the charger is considered an assessor he is up for debate but it seems as though Apple could undo this feature and allow for the charger to be plugged in at any time without the iPhone being unlocked. Therefore it definitely seems it is a software issue

ssshhh

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
I Don't know if this works for you guys,I've just connected my device to my mac with the screen turn off and it was start to charge,And then i've disabled USB Accessories option and Plugged the device again and it worked too.iPhone XS Max.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
"Around here"? Were you born yesterday? All tech. companies face the same phrases. "Gate" more often means "your problem is so egregious, you'd have to be an idiot to have not noticed it earlier."

It's the typical cart before the horse maneuvering....that's often needed for Apple to respond.

Apple won't acknowledge problems until they have a fix on the way. But this silence signals to consumers, "Apple doesn't care about this genuine problem."

Apple should've caught this one earlier; then, could've sent out a small two-sentence blurb to news outlets about the upcoming fix. Clearly, it's been a few days and they've said no such thing, so people got frustrated. Apple asked for their highest prices this year; they should likewise have ensured no device-level quality issues.

Lol. That's complete crap. When the Pixel 3 had screen issues did the media refer to it as "screengate?" Was Google remote logging into Android P devices and changing settings referred to as "snoopgate?" Was the Note 7 "explodegate?"

Gate is used to shock and inflame solely Apple users based upon antenna-gate which WAS a ridiculous hardware situation filled with denials and covering up the problem with altering the number of bars shown after WEEKS or longer.

It's merely a dig at Apple users by immature folks who can't accept some people like Android and some like Apple; and NO manufacturer is devoid of its problems.

There is zero indication this issue is anything more than a small software bug after a mere few days; and is being reported to be happening to older devices on iOS12 too so its not hardware based.

It also doesnt appear to happen to every device or every time so simply catching it may not have been possible when there is no uniformity between the claims of it happening.

Last edited:

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The gate from the iPhone 4 came from the Watergate reference (coverup and deny). If you think it didn't, you are mistaken.
I said already that right in my original post, although I edited my post as you were posting yours:
me said:
IOW, all of this is referencing the iPhone 4's problems, not Watergate directly, even though the original iPhone 4 gate was a play off Watergate.

You didn't get my point. Yes, iPhone 4's gate is referring to Watergate. Everything else since then in iPhones is referring to the iPhone 4, due to precedent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.