Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Don’t be so sensitive. I meant nothing by it.

I am probably suffering just about as much is anybody from technology OCD. However, in this case when you read apples instruction manual it definitely explains that the iPhone needs to be unlocked before any assessor he is plugged into the USB port. Now whether or not the charger is considered an assessor he is up for debate but it seems as though Apple could undo this feature and allow for the charger to be plugged in at any time without the iPhone being unlocked. Therefore it definitely seems it is a software issue

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857
Not being sensitive. And I agree to a certain extent. I would guess it is a software issue. But why would it only happen to some when they are all running the same software?

I still believe it's software, just seems weird it's only happening to some devices

Reactions: Orangeman13

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
So far for me, I do not have this issue with my Max. Works every time.

Did you try when asleep for a minute. Mine worked when asleep for a couple seconds but when I left it alone for a minute or more it didn’t work, even when I woke it up it still didn’t work. Had to plug it back in. 10s Max

But I never plug it in after being asleep for that long, so that’s why I never noticed till now. So not a big deal to me and I’m sure 12.1 will fix it..

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Ok, I did a little more testing. If I put the phone to sleep right away, and plug cable in, it starts charging right away. If I let the phone sleep for 5 to 10 minutes, and then plug phone in, it does not charge. I have to wake phone, and then replug it in. It seems to be a software issue which must timeout and prevent anything from happening after a certain amount of time. As of now, make sure you phone is awake before plugging in.

Reactions: green86

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Not being sensitive. And I agree to a certain extent. I would guess it is a software issue. But why would it only happen to some when they are all running the same software?

I still believe it's software, just seems weird it's only happening to some devices

That’s how software is, everybody has different apps installed and different things going on. So problems only happen to some and not others. Updates affect different devices even if it is the same update.
[doublepost=1538242903][/doublepost]
Ok, I did a little more testing. If I put the phone to sleep right away, and plug cable in, it starts charging right away. If I let the phone sleep for 5 to 10 minutes, and then plug phone in, it does not charge. I have to wake phone, and then replug it in. It seems to be a software issue which must timeout and prevent anything from happening after a certain amount of time. As of now, make sure you phone is awake before plugging in.

I think it’s 20-60 seconds

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
My iPhone Xs Max just did this as well when I tested it. And as you can see the comments under the video, it seems to affect all devices on iOS 12 and not just the new models.

I plugged it in, nothing. I even woke up the screen, nothing, I had to unlock it and get to the desktop for it to start to charge which was weird.

Now after it did it once, I couldn't duplicate it again till the phone sat on my desk for a few minutes. (I assume whatever it is needs to go to sleep).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551504

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My iPhone Xs Max just did this as well when I tested it. And as you can see the comments under the video, it seems to affect all devices on iOS 12 and not just the new models.

I plugged it in, nothing. I even woke up the screen, nothing, I had to unlock it and get to the desktop for it to start to charge which was weird.

Now after it did it once, I couldn't duplicate it again till the phone sat on my desk for a few minutes. (I assume whatever it is needs to go to sleep).
Have not had this problem with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 Plus. Both on iOS 12.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Stop the gate crap?

Ok let's all stop highlighting any issues which these expensive phones have so it never gets fixed.

That Lou highlighted many issues, like the bendgate for example. Some people on this very forum said there was no issue yet in the next phone Apple strengthened the chassis around the volume button and the problem disappeared. Hmm, if there wasn't a problem then why did Apple fix it?

These issues need highlighting, clearly. Lou, although unpopular here, is doing us a big favour in some ways.

I think he means using the jargon of “gate” it gets annoying.

Edit: my xs max is doing this too. Doesn’t really bother me since it’s usually awake when I plug it in. However for the cost an issue like this is unacceptable.

Reactions: Orangeman13

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
The term "gate" as is often carelessly used around here for shock value, was taken from "Watergate" by some internet strangers who didn't care about fact or context.

There has been no coverup by Apple that we are aware of. And indirect video evidence shows the charging issue some are having to be iOS related.

There is no gate.

The English language morphs over time. Today -gate means any sort of scandal, not just when there is an extended cover-up as in the OG Watergate.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The English language morphs over time. Today -gate means any sort of scandal, not just when there is an extended cover-up as in the OG Watergate.
There is no scandal. Kids just like using "gate" because they think it is funny and want to get click view, just like the wannabe TMZ actors on YouTube, who make a living making meaningless drivel on YouTube.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
The term "gate" as is often carelessly used around here for shock value, was taken from "Watergate" by some internet strangers who didn't care about fact or context.

There has been no coverup by Apple that we are aware of. And indirect video evidence shows the charging issue some are having to be iOS related.

There is no gate.
That's because this is monumental. It is no -gate. It is a -ghazi! This is CHARGEGHAZI!

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I just ordered a 256 Max. Not worried about “charge gate”. It’s probably a software issue. If not I’ll send it back.
There’s a beauty gate too right? With the front camera. That’s hilarious.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So the chargegate is real, it has happened to me once but not often - but many people are experiencing this regularly.

Some people's phones are locking up, some people are saying it charges then stops further on.

This should be fixable by software on the whole, but some of the problems seem a bit more complicated.

But my thoughts are this is terrible, a bloody disgrace. I paid a premium for the ease of use, build quality and the 'just works' thing.

The manufacturing cost of this iPhone Xs and Max is low, everybody knows and they are very profitable. But if we are running into issues like this, it's just not fair on us - we pay for their big houses, cars and holidays.

As Lou said being able to charge your phone is number one, the first of the basic needs. Even as an Apple fan, I am disappointed because this isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. And if they haven't got teams or programs to test these devices to be ready for release, then why can you justify the trillion dollar valuation. Future phones which will probably cost £1500-2000, no doubt we will go out and buy, but we have expectations at those prices.

Is it the case that we are indeed sheep and Apple knows release it, broken or not, they will buy?
It has to be said, this will probably solidify Apple's stance on not inviting Unbox Therapy to any announcements or giving them review devices.

They have really done it this time. This is awful.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
It has to be said, this will probably solidify Apple's stance on not inviting Unbox Therapy to any announcements or giving them review devices.

They have really done it this time. This is awful.

I think everybody’s overexaggerating.

This is most likely a software bug that’ll be fixed by next week.

Until then, press a button on your phone to ensure it’s charging. End of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.