Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Pretty much the typical things that show up early on almost every year. And yet down the road most still have devices that work fine for them.

You can be dismissive if you want. Unfortunately this isn’t like years past. This is a thousand + dollar device. Many of us don’t rent our phones nor dismissively charge things and rack up debt. I’m glad I didn’t buy one. If I did I’d take it back. Apple needs to learn, the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can be dismissive if you want. Unfortunately this isn’t like years past. This is a thousand + dollar device. Many of us don’t rent our phones nor dismissively charge things and rack up debt. I’m glad I didn’t buy one. If I did I’d take it back. Apple needs to learn, the hard way. Sychophants do nothing for bettering the brand and products.
Pointing out reality isn't being dismissive, just being realistic.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
You can be dismissive if you want. Unfortunately this isn’t like years past. This is a thousand + dollar device. Many of us don’t rent our phones nor dismissively charge things and rack up debt. I’m glad I didn’t buy one. If I did I’d take it back. Apple needs to learn, the hard way. Sychophants do nothing for bettering the brand and products.

You can try to dramatize this. But there is nothing new going on here.

I've owned apple products for 20+ years at this point (I got my first Power Mac 6500/275 in 1996) and I've seen Apple about to go out of business, turn into a trillion dollar company, and piss off "professionals" (really, arm chair engineers and nerds).

The first iPhone was a wreck. I had my handset replaced 12 times. I know other people who have similar stories. I loved that thing though. You can't tell me this is worse then that. Occasionally new products have problems. Look at the new MacBooks Pros, which are even more expensive then this phone. The price doesn't matter though really, Apple will make this right. And you can always just bring the phone back.

I'm not sure what your endgame is here. You can't even claim to be an enraged consumer, you didn't even buy the phone. Posting angrily on a forum is beyond pointless.

It's Saturday night, pour yourself a glass of your favorite poison and relax man.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
You can try to dramatize this. But there is nothing new going on here.

I've owned apple products for 20+ years at this point (I got my first Power Mac 6500/275 in 1996) and I've seen Apple about to go out of business, turn into a trillion dollar company, and piss off "professionals" (really, arm chair engineers and nerds).

The first iPhone was a wreck. I had my handset replaced 12 times. I know other people who have similar stories. I loved that thing though. You can't tell me this is worse then that. Occasionally new products have problems. Look at the new MacBooks Pros, which are even more expensive then this phone. The price doesn't matter though really, Apple will make this right. And You can always just bring the phone back.

I'm not sure what your endgame is here. You can't even claim to be an enraged consumer, you didn't even buy the phone. Posting angrily on a forum is beyond pointless.

It's Saturday night, pour yourself a glass of your favorite poison and relax man.
But but but it’s a thousand dollar phone every single device is supposed to be perfect. :D

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
This is a scandal. The English language evolves. Get over it.
[doublepost=1538260043][/doublepost]

Have you been to the Watergate? It's got lots of water in the courtyard, and a nice view of lots of water in the Potomac, which is very close to it.

It could have just as easily been a Four Seasons. Then what? Charge Seasons?

Stuart6

Suspended
Jan 30, 2017
To really determine if this is an issue. Go to settings->face id & passcode(key in your passcode)->toggle on the usb accessories and see if it solves the issue. I have seen people having no problems after enabling that option (myself included). If it still gives you issues, then something might be wrong. Before you freak out and think that your phone is spoilt, try this and see what happens. Apple had that option off by default.

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I’m happy I have forced myself to wait few weeks before buying the Xs Max.

Never rush to be the first one: this is a general rule that I always apply when changing my phone for a new one just released to the market.

Hopefully iOS 12.1 will fix the issues, The I will be happy to go to the Apple store and buy exactly what I want.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro

That’s circular logic but I did enjoy this part.

The suffix is used to embellish a noun or name to suggest the existence of a far-reaching scandal, particularly in politics and government. As a CBC News column noted in 2001, the term may "suggest unethical behaviour and a cover-up".[4]

Such usages have been criticised by commentators as clichéd and misleading;[5] James Stanyer comments that "revelations are given the 'gate' suffix to add a thin veil of credibility, following 'Watergate', but most bear no resemblance to the painstaking investigation of that particular piece of presidential corruption".[6] Stanyer links the widespread use of -gate to what the sociologist John Thompson calls "scandal syndrome”

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
it's not just iphone xs, experienced this with iphone 8 plus(red) ios 12.
left the phone idle overnight without charging, wake up this morning to plug in the charger.
notification showed usb accessory not supported, waked up the device and started to charge.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
left the phone idle overnight without charging, wake up this morning to plug in the charger.
notification showed usb accessory not supported, waked up the device and started to charge.

This is true other device on iOS 12 experience it as well but iOS 12.1 beta 1 currently fixes this issue. It’s possible related to USB Accessories timing.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I’m happy I have forced myself to wait few weeks before buying the Xs Max.

Never rush to be the first one: this is a general rule that I always apply when changing my phone for a new one just released to the market.

Hopefully iOS 12.1 will fix the issues, The I will be happy to go to the Apple store and buy exactly what I want.

That makes zero sense. I and MANY others have precisely zero issue with our new phones. And you’re saving zero dollars by waiting.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
found a solution
[doublepost=1538291856][/doublepost]Try turn off (Tap to wake) cos this is a bug

Last edited:

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017

I can confirm this. It happened the odd time with my iPhone 8 as well. It also has happened a few times with my XS. Not every time though. Considering it didn't happen on my iPhone 8 until the USB accessory security feature was implemented, and that it's happened to me on two different models I'm pretty confident it's a software bug so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure it'll get patched soon.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
I haven't bought my Xs yet but I know some people who have and they don't have any charging issues.

Are many people here reporting issues?
[doublepost=1538297680][/doublepost]
This is true other device on iOS 12 experience it as well but iOS 12.1 beta 1 currently fixes this issue. It’s possible related to USB Accessories timing.

So the problem is software? Shouldn't everyone be experiencing the problem so?

nixx

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
Picked up my iPhone XS Max yesterday (IUP upgrade from iPhone 8+) super happy. This morning woke up to nearly dead battery despite plugging in all night. Was like WTH? Googled. Found this. My phone is exactly as described in the video and bit me on day ONE of ownership. Not really happy. Apple needs to sort out a patch soon.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Since I used qi, It never occurred to me. But I just tested last night and thank God my max charges as normal when plugged in.

YAYYYY

Reactions: AeroBar

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple will respond and is likely an iOS related issue that needs to be resolved with an update. They usually act quickly in these situations, but let’s make something known, there is *no* evidence of how widespread this is and how many it’s actually affecting. Plenty of members in here Have had no issues with their iPhone XS at all with charging.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If only these people could charge their phones up enough to apply the update :D

You must have accidentally omitted this part of my quote from my post. I re-inserted it for you below. :D

But let’s make something known, there is *no* evidence of how widespread this is and how many it’s actually affecting.
[doublepost=1538302932][/doublepost]
Solution: get with the future and buy a wireless charger.

That definitely is _not_ a solution. Thats Called a *workaround*. A real solution would be actually addressing the concern with an iOS update, If Thats what is necessary.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
... But if we are running into issues like this, it's just not fair on us - we pay for their big houses, cars and holidays.
What a redicilious statement. It’s totally off topic when it comes to QC.

Anyone can be a shareholder and be part of the success.

Of course it’s sad that there’s some bugs with the new phone, but relax, it will be fixed soon.

Don’t throw ridicilious arguments in a good topic.

Buy some shares and be part of the success.

Reactions: AeroBar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.