Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapnkristian

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
I can confirm this. It happened the odd time with my iPhone 8 as well. It also has happened a few times with my XS. Not every time though. Considering it didn't happen on my iPhone 8 until the USB accessory security feature was implemented, and that it's happened to me on two different models I'm pretty confident it's a software bug so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure it'll get patched soon.

I updated to the iOS 12.1 beta and can confirm that the idle/sleep charge issue is 100% fixed I can no longer replicate it as when I was on iOS 12.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
My iPhone is doing this, it’s annoying and I only just noticed yesterday because I use wireless charging rather than lightning, will this be fixed with a software update?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
...but many people are experiencing this regularly.

For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've had is with a non-Apple, third party Lightning port on a fancy dual purpose stand for iPhone and Watch.

I don't have any problem with my two wireless Qi chargers, or with anything connected with an Apple Lightning cable or USB-C to Lightning.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
My Max will be delivered tomorrow. I’ll see what’s up with the charging issue.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Can’t say I’ve had any charging issue with my Xs. However. I did have an issue with my 8 with iOS 12, where it would only start charging if I activated the screen. (It would not charge just plugging the cable in. It caught me out once and didn’t charge over night)

Reactions: green86

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
We should try to pick apart the phones that are having this issue.
Are they carrier locked? What's the storage space?
When we have most of this information then we can tell if the devices with the same configuration are having this issue or not.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Have to laugh at all of the over reaction on this. When you are an early adapter and buy immediately out of the gate, you are likely to have a couple issues. Be patient, enjoy your new phone, Apple will fix them.
What early adopters? This is an S device, this issue should exist on X which in fact it did! Although nobody gave a damm about the issue because there was no clickbait Unboxing Theraphy video that showed the problem. If all this should be already addressed by Apple but I guess their pre-release testing has been going downhill.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I actually think it could be down to iOS 12 and something to do with device inactivity rather than defective units. As my iPhone 8 was actually affected. But not my Xs.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
this can easily be fixed with a software update unlike the cellular reception problem
The problem is, if it is a software problem as you say, why is it affecting only some devices? There's most likely 2 devices with the exact same config and one has the problem and the other does not.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The problem is, if it is a software problem as you say, why is it affecting only some devices? There's most likely 2 devices with the exact same config and one has the problem and the other does not.
that's the million dollar question and why Apple Engineering is capturing devices with problems

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Have to laugh at all of the over reaction on this. When you are an early adapter and buy immediately out of the gate, you are likely to have a couple issues. Be patient, enjoy your new phone, Apple will fix them.

Yep. Considering it doesn’t just happen with XS models, people really shouldn’t have bought an iPhone or iPad last year, right?

SO glad I didn’t wait to get new iPhones day one. They’re so good. :)
[doublepost=1538410678][/doublepost]
We should report this problem with our device configs, mine is carrier unlocked 256GB and it's happening.

256GB unlocked Max and unlocked regular XS. No issues.

Reactions: green86

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Just got my Max a few hours ago. No charge issues so far. Plug in starts charging immediately.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Just got my Max a few hours ago. No charge issues so far. Plug in starts charging immediately.

The issue is 100% recreateable.
#1 Set Screen lock time to 30 seconds
#2 let the device fall asleep by itself
#3 wait 30 seconds after it has fallen asleep

Now try to Plug in without tapping the display. And Plug In.
The device will not register that it is plugged in.

Also I Have Raise to Wake Disabled Apple May simply insist that Raise to Wake must be on that way the device wakes up with any movement.

imartez

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
The issue is 100% recreateable.
#1 Set Screen lock time to 30 seconds
#2 let the device fall asleep by itself
#3 wait 30 seconds after it has fallen asleep

Now try to Plug in without tapping the display. And Plug In.
The device will not register that it is plugged in.

Also I Have Raise to Wake Disabled Apple May simply insist that Raise to Wake must be on that way the device wakes up with any movement.

I tried this process and my Xs Max charges with no issue. The only time I have to tap the screen is when I plug it into my car, I noticed that CarPlay does not kick in and the phone does not charge until I tap the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.