Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
The odd thing with this issue is if you power off your phone, plug it in, the phone will power on and charge like it has done with past phones. It's purely related to sleep mode.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It's purely a software issue from what it seems like. I think Apple solves it with the next iOS update if anything.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It's purely a sleep mode issue. Turn off phone. Plug phone into charger, phone turns on, like all past models, and phone starts to charge. Put phone to sleep, plug phone in right afterwards, and the phone begins charging. Put phone to sleep, wait a minute or 2, plug in and phone won't charge. It's a simple software bug, apparently already fixed with beta 12.1.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Ok I've just tested it again, yes it does happen if the phone has been left on sleep for a while say more than 20 seconds.

Unacceptable.

iPhone sits at the very top end of the market at £1450 for the most expensive device. There is justified expectation for this product and at that price they must deliver.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Ok I've just tested it again, yes it does happen if the phone has been left on sleep for a while say more than 20 seconds.

Unacceptable.

iPhone sits at the very top end of the market at £1450 for the most expensive device. There is justified expectation for this product and at that price they must deliver.

It is a sleep mode bug. It was already reported fixed with beta 12.1. It's not the end of the world. It's not a hardware issue. Just a simple bug.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I remember this happening several times in the past during beta testing IOS updates. But not a final GM release. Looks like this just got missed during testing of the new devices vs the older ones. That's all it is, easily fixable with a software patch. Not exactly a sky is falling type moment some claim it to be. Annoying yes, but not unfixable.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Wow.

Charging problems
Cellular connectivity problems
Wifi connectivity problems
Yellow screen
PWM/eye strain fro some people

That’s a lot of issues for a new consumer product. I am grateful to everyone reporting them. Going to just replace my battery tonight on my”old” phone and wait for next year.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Wow.

Charging problems
Yellow screen

That’s a lot of issues for a new consumer product. I am grateful to everyone reporting them. Going to just replace my battery tonight on my”old” phone and wait for next year.
The cellular and wifi issue are serious. Charging can be fixed with a software update. Yellow screen are for the anal complainers, and some people do get headaches from emissive screens such as OLED and plasma. That's not related to the phone at all.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
It says after an hour! And it says when plugged into a power adapter it works as normal. At least suppose to.
No, read carefully:

“If you don’t first unlock your password-protected iOS device—or you haven’t unlocked and connected it to a USB accessory within the past hour—your iOS device won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and in some cases, it might not charge.“

Key word is “or.”

The bottom line is if you do not unlock your iPhone it will not charge. This is apparently how Apple designed it. Now, whether or not they want to update this in the next software update is completely up to them but for now it appears as this is how they intend it to be. I don’t like it anymore than you do but I would hardly say it is a hardware problem.

Last edited:

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Yeah, I would consider the charging problem the most easily fixed of the problems people are having with the new phones. The AW4 apparently had a charging problem, and Apple addressed it with a software update to WatchOS 5.0.1. (Strangely, my one-year-old AW3 failed to charge for the first time after that same software update. Apple giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other.)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
There is no scandal. Kids just like using "gate" because they think it is funny and want to get click view, just like the wannabe TMZ actors on YouTube, who make a living making meaningless drivel on YouTube.

This is a scandal. The English language evolves. Get over it.
[doublepost=1538260043][/doublepost]
Yep and Watergate had nothing to do with water, making all of these -gates utter nonsense.

Have you been to the Watergate? It's got lots of water in the courtyard, and a nice view of lots of water in the Potomac, which is very close to it.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
A scandal?? o_O:rolleyes:

A scandal is the poor people of Flint Michigan drinking leaded water with no warning from officials or fix that may shorten their lives and create life-long health problems/costs.

This is a freakin software BUG. First world problems.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Unacceptable.

It’s something that will get fixed with a software update. You act as if the phone doesn’t charge at all. Relax.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wow.

Charging problems
Yellow screen

Pretty much the typical things that show up early on almost every year. And yet down the road most still have devices that work fine for them.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
The thing about Lou's video (surprisingly enough) is that it's properly done.

Known working charger. More than 1-3 phones. Clear video evidence. Repeated tests.

It's way too easy to dismiss random forum posts; I for one appreciated this Lou video.

Yes, he did the “right” thing with this video for once. However the voice and the complaining “Apple won’t invite me to there events” and I tweeted Tim Cook ... lol... that’s what annoys the hell out of me.

I also know he’s became clickbait material for views to up that net worth. I just wish he would stop complaining about Apple so much and make videos about what ... Unboxing things.

You’re right though he did right in this video though ... for once lol.

Reactions: green86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.