Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5.8" too small after using Plus?

• yes (too small)

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • no (just right)

Votes: 163 61.5%

• Total voters

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I currently have an 8 Plus and want to upgrade to either the XS or XS Max. I can use my 8 plus in one hand but it concerns me that the screen goes all the way to the edge. I just don't know if I can reach that far all the time. I love having the wider screen but I am starting to get a little tired of the big phone. I have been dropping it a lot lately, in fact I broke my screen protector yesterday. If anyone went to the 5.8" X from a Plus phone let me know your thoughts on it. I can type no problem on a X by the way. I'm definitely leaning towards the 5.8"

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
OP this is so subjective that I really think you need to wait until the phones are available to try out in person. I went from the 7 Plus to the X and hated it. I felt the keyboard was too small, that watching videos on the X was a downgrade, etc. I got the 8 Plus and loved it.

But, I’m 6’8” tall. My hands are like trash can lids. So naturally I’m likely to have a much different opinion for you than someone with smaller hands or different needs.

Hold your 8 Plus one handed as you do and try to reach into the middle of the bezel at the top with your thumb. If you cannot, then you likely won’t reach top row of apps.

Reactions: kp98077

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I doubt anyone here has used a Max extensively.

It's unlikely someone else is going to have the exact same preferences as you.

I'm 6'9" and palm a basketball about like you probably palm a grapefruit. I have to reach a loong way to reach the upper left corner of my 6+. It's not a natural movement but it might become so after I use it for a while. It probably never will be for you, so reachability, a smaller phone, or more two-hand operation would probably be required. Only you can answer that for you.

MattEcho

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
This question is the reason why I'm waiting to see what the Xr looks like. The size might be the perfect middle between the Xs and Xsm. The only issue on specs might be the screen (LCD/720p/326ppi), that's why I need to see and compare.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I dont have a problem using my X over my 8 plus at all.
x im just carrying around the screen
8 plus was screen plus ugly bezels.

I still have both and prefer my X over the 8plus every time i pick up the plus

but I will be buying the X max just cause i miss the size aspect of the phone itself....

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I hated that the plus just didn’t fit in my pocket “right” it was just too big. The X is just right, big screen but not a huge phone in my pocket that I can knock someone out with. If I was older and my vision was worse, then I may think differently. I also think the huge phones look ridiculous when people are talking on the phone with them.

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
Geez his hands make the max look like an SE. I’ve been wavering back and forth for days now so I just have to wait till I get some hands on time in stores. I’m more worried about the extra weight than the size.

Reactions: predation

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I had Plus versions, went to the X and am getting a Max. I like the bigger size and bigger battery. Reaching anything on the screen should not be an issue with the Reachability feature turned on.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I just got one of the leather Apple cases in (returning the case, don’t like the color) but holy hell is this phone huge! I am definitely a bit nervous about the size of this phone.

Attachments

• 6DCF7C26-0986-4C92-A881-D2EF86412C4C.jpeg
    6DCF7C26-0986-4C92-A881-D2EF86412C4C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 790
Reactions: 1050792
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.