Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5.8" too small after using Plus?

• yes (too small)

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • no (just right)

Votes: 163 61.5%

• Total voters

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I was upgrading this year from a 6S Plus. I went back and forth on whether to get the XS Or the Max. I just remembered how thrilled I was to get the bigger real estate on the Plus so I went with the Max. My 6S Plus was my favorites phone ever but I think the new Max will take the #1 spot. I think once you are used to the larger phone size and like it, it would be hard to go smaller again.
[doublepost=1537790511][/doublepost]
I think if you go from the 8 Plus down to the X you will be disappointed honestly… I now I was, and from day 2, have been waiting for the MAX - X was too small for me and for work for sure! MAX and never every look back!!!
I’m with you. I like the larger size to be able to really see things. When I was working (retired now), I would pull up a spreadsheet or contract on my phone to get information on the fly. It is great to have everything at my fingertips.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I currently have an 8 Plus and want to upgrade to either the XS or XS Max. I can use my 8 plus in one hand but it concerns me that the screen goes all the way to the edge. I just don't know if I can reach that far all the time. I love having the wider screen but I am starting to get a little tired of the big phone. I have been dropping it a lot lately, in fact I broke my screen protector yesterday. If anyone went to the 5.8" X from a Plus phone let me know your thoughts on it. I can type no problem on a X by the way. I'm definitely leaning towards the 5.8"

Both.
Yes it's actually 1.04 Times bigger than iPhone 8 Plus,

No..but still the Biggest iPhone witch is XS Max is still 2.08 Times Smaller (more than 2 times smaller) Than the SMALLEST iPad which is the iPad Mini... still small when watching videos.. even the Note 9 that is 6.4" Is small by the way when watching movies.. iPad Mini has much better watching experience even its 4"3 its still more than 7" when playing 16:9 unlike in X sure it can fit the screen, but it is cramped top and bottom a little bit making it look like a zoomed..

Reactions: YaBoiD

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I currently have an 8 Plus and want to upgrade to either the XS or XS Max. I can use my 8 plus in one hand but it concerns me that the screen goes all the way to the edge. I just don't know if I can reach that far all the time. I love having the wider screen but I am starting to get a little tired of the big phone. I have been dropping it a lot lately, in fact I broke my screen protector yesterday. If anyone went to the 5.8" X from a Plus phone let me know your thoughts on it. I can type no problem on a X by the way. I'm definitely leaning towards the 5.8"
I switched from 7 to 7 Plus and from 7 Plus to X and now bought an Xs Max.

I always found standard iPhone size too small so move from 7 to 7 Plus was definitely a right move,although I loved the larger display,I always hated the bulk and handling of Plus and never got used to it.

iPhone X on paper seemed the perfect choice but it really feels and is smaller display than 7 Plus.but so much better than 7.
the problem is the width is noticeably narrower than Plus.

Now with Xs Max,I feel the same awkwardness I felt with Plus,and appreciate the handling and portability of X even more.

Right now I’m deciding whether I should return the Xs Max and keep using X.(only because of size difference)

anyone who has size and handling problem with Plus,will have same issues with Xs Max.

You really should go and try them in person a bunch of times.
[doublepost=1537948229][/doublepost]
I hated that the plus just didn’t fit in my pocket “right” it was just too big. The X is just right, big screen but not a huge phone in my pocket that I can knock someone out with. If I was older and my vision was worse, then I may think differently. I also think the huge phones look ridiculous when people are talking on the phone with them.
The thing is,Xs Max (and Plus) are still too small to watch a video or read a book/magazine/comic on,and never feel even close to something like iPad Mini experience,so in the end the difference between X and Xs Max in terms of bigger screen is actually not that useable.
The handling is really awkward and carrying it in pocket is always annoying.
The Xs Max is huge,just like the Plus.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Could be bigger tbh. I think my ideal phone would be this max scaled up to a 6.8” display. Just a tad larger would be perfect!

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Think of the XS as a Plus with the bezels removed and the Max as a Plus with the bezels turned into extra display.
If the XS were the same as a Plus phone with the bezels removed, I’d be all over it. But it’s not! It’s far too narrow, meaning it’s horrible to type on and tiny when used in landscape.

The Max is far more like the Plus experience, although personally I would be happier if it were shorter, returning to a 16:9 screen ratio would make reaching the top of the screen easier without really compromising the screen.

lovelytarheel

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Chapel Hill
I just upgraded to the XS Max from the X because I HATE how small the screen on the X is! I previously had a 7Plus and upgraded to the X because of the better camera (and honestly just because of the fact that I'm just used to getting an iPhone every year that isn't an S year) and 100% regretted it. One of the biggest reasons is because I wear long nails and typing on the X has been a disaster with the small keyboard. I wanted to be able to resist the Max because I know I'll probably upgrade again next year, but after playing with it in the Apple Store, I knew I needed the bigger screen back in my life. That was absolutely enough to sell me!

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The XS already has a bigger display than the Plus.

This isn't true. Lisa from Mobile Tech Review already debunked this myth. The X/XS are just taller but still narrower in screen real estate. The Plus phone is still technically bigger than the X, due to it's wider aspect ratio.

Think of the XS as a Plus with the bezels removed and the Max as a Plus with the bezels turned into extra display.

The Max is more screen and more like a bezel less Plus. The X and XS are like a slightly bigger iPhone 6/7/8, but still smaller than the Plus and Max phones. Also, the Max still weighs more than all of them.

Reactions: smoking monkey

frosty18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I'm still so torn. I love the big screen on the Max but I like the idea of having a smaller more manageable phone. The max isn't too big necessarily but it would be much easier to hold a XS

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Every iPhone since SE is too big.
This is fact and there is no argument against it.

But that doesn’t seem to be the topic of the thread, does it? The topic is, ‘Is the iPhone XS Max to big’, you’re comparing the SE, which naturally we all know all of Apples smart phones are larger in size, but it’s not relevant in this discussion.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Olympian_Zeus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
You don’t need to be 8 feet tall with frying pan sized hands to use the Max. If you’ve used the 7/8 Plus and were fine with it, the Max will be no issue. I have smallish hands, and even for me the Max wasn’t challenging. Admittedly, I’m not trying to reach the upper left or right corners with my thumb (you’ll never need to), so it never comes into play.

Coming off the Galaxy S8 Plus, I couldn’t tolearate a smaller form factor anymore, and the Max didn’t seem particularly gigantic when I tried it out at the store. Now, I didn’t buy it, for several reasons, but it’s really not as big as you might imagine.
[doublepost=1539353330][/doublepost]Only benefit you going to see from switching over to the iPhone X the the new screen tech, but then again if you come from Samsung or any other OLED phone you know that the severe limitation of those screen is there a propensity for image retention, and though you’ll get better color representation and whatnot, you’re going to run the risk of getting permanent screen burn as a trade-off.

It sounds like you want to upgrade just upgrade. I’m telling you right now, the same stuff you guys used to bitch about regarding samsung phones is happening to the Apple phones, but you’re wanting to jump right in there and suffer the same consequences just because Apple switched over to OLED. If you’re anxious to look at the ghost image of your on-screen keyboard or your Facebook all day then go ahead switch up to the iPhone X, but just be prepared for the downsides. Burn in is not considered a defect so your warranty will not cover it.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
7plus to the X last year....thought it was the sweet spot for portability but i could not get used to surfing the web on the X
just felt like i had to use my ipad again.....went to a max and could not be happier...

X and XS just seem too small in overall size.

loving my max - it should have been introduced last year with the X but apple knew they would get people to upgrade 2 years in a row lol

Reactions: Newtons Apple

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
D0B72421-E72A-4C62-88DD-281D0E7263E5.jpeg
My entire dilemma lol

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
It allows you to be out of office longer and not attached, the X was WAY to small to do any meaningful work honestly… reading, emails, web etc. closer to the Note the better for me!! Bigger is better!

What do you mean by meaning work? I have the s8 and basically it’s the same size as the x and I think it’s too small.

Would you prefer the 8 plus over the xor?

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
Depends how you use the phone. The MAX screen will obviously make for the most pleasurable viewing experience, but will the phone be too big to hold and put in pocket?

I opted for the Xs when I tried both at the Apple store. It just to me felt more comfortable to hold, and having had Plus phones before, I don’t want to go back to such a large slab in my pocket. I prefer to use an iPad when I want a larger screen.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Every iPhone since SE is too big.
This is fact and there is no argument against it.

i can see that as a personal preference, but there definitely is an argument against that.
The average smartphone has a screen between 5 and 6 inches, so what you are stating
isn't a fact.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Except for the fact that larger phones quickly replaced it and it was discontinued.

It would drive me crazy if it had to deal with that tiny screen and keyboard.

That's exactly how I would feel after having much larger screen phones. My eyes would be in jail looking at that small screen.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.