Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Battery life is a concern of mine for windows laptops. I don’t need any crazy 18 hour battery life, it’s not a work machine for me. But I would like one that I don’t have to always have a charger on me if I leave take it with me somewhere.

My wife has a blade 15 and that thing is horrendous on battery lol
The battery life on my XPS 15 is solid, but not in the realm of a MacBook. It probably wouldn't last through a workday for me, in spite of the fact I keep screen brightness about half and don't really tax my systems. Definitely something to consider.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I’m the “repair” guy for her pc when she’s having technical issues figuring things out so I’m still familiar with the platform
That's my story too haha. Wife and father-in-law with Windows laptops that I support, so buying a Windows laptop wasn't a big deal for me.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That's my story too haha. Wife and father-in-law with Windows laptops that I support, so buying a Windows laptop wasn't a big deal for me.
I’m tempted by the apple education discount for back to school as my wife is in college so I could take advantage of it. Takes about $150 off the air plus a $210 gift card. Luckily I have some time before that’s over

Another one of my radar is the yoga 9i gen 7 with the 2.8k 90hz oled panel. My issue is I’m not sure if it’s actually coming to Canada with that option or not. But it has a pretty good size battery in it and gets decent actual battery life.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I’m tempted by the apple education discount for back to school as my wife is in college so I could take advantage of it. Takes about $150 off the air plus a $210 gift card. Luckily I have some time before that’s over

Another one of my radar is the yoga 9i gen 7 with the 2.8k 90hz oled panel. My issue is I’m not sure if it’s actually coming to Canada with that option or not. But it has a pretty good size battery in it and gets decent actual battery life.
With the discount, and putting the gift card towards AppleCare (I think you can do that) I would give serious consideration to buying a Mac.

My wife has a 6th gen Lenovo X1 Carbon that she loves. I know you had difficulties with your last one, but the Yoga 9i might be worth a shot, too. You have a lot of options!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
With the discount, and putting the gift card towards AppleCare (I think you can do that) I would give serious consideration to buying a Mac.

My wife has a 6th gen Lenovo X1 Carbon that she loves. I know you had difficulties with your last one, but the Yoga 9i might be worth a shot, too. You have a lot of options!
Too many damn options lol.

Reactions: TechRunner

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have pretty good experience with OEM windows laptops. Dell is okay and customer service is decent. Problem with Windows is that most OEM's don't make much of a profit on each sale. Unlike Apple where they rake in the profits because they control their supply chain or should I say China does for them. They are not dependent on third party drivers, cpu/gpu, and make and design their own chassis. That being said there are good Windows Laptops out there.

I have not had a very good experience with Lenovo. They make decent hardware but their driver updates and after sale support is awful. I feel like they really don't care about their customers beyond just getting money. They are way overpriced in my opinion and a lot of times try to pass older cpu. I would avoid Lenovo. Just my personal opiniion. HP, Dell, Samsung or Microsoft would be my choice.

Microsoft Surface products are very good but my problem is the hardware. It lags behind other OEM's. However you can find deals on the Ryzen 5 model with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. Microsoft manages all the drivers and makes the hardware much like Apple does. It makes for a seamless experience and the OS is more optimized for the hardware.

I also like Samsung. Samsung is one of the few manufacturers that is not making everything in China. That may not matter to you but I just don't feel comfortable fueling an enemy with technology and cash and when I say China I don't mean the people or their culture but the CCP.

I have two laptops I bought from Bestbuy at the moment and am trying to decide which I am going to keep. Both cost the same. One is the MS Surface I mentioned above 13.5" and the other is a Samsung Galaxybook2 360-not the pro version. I like the design of the MS laptop just a little better and the higher resolution screen and speakers. However the Samsung has an OLED screen. The Samsung has a 12th gen i7 and 16gb ram and double the ssd size. The build quality of the Samsung is not quite as good as the Surface but not far behind. The Samsung is much lighter though and that is a plus. The Samsung has a great keyboard, more ports, a bigger battery, a much faster processor. So it is a tough choice. My main problem with the Surface is the laptop looks old in the design. Huge bezels, limited ports, old cpu all make the experience not so great.

As for customer service I think Samsung is getting better because they control a lot of their supply chain just like Apple and Microsoft. Unlike Apple and Microsoft and most other OEM's Samsung pretty much manufactures most the the components and has their own factory to build so they make more of a profit and quality is better.

If I were you and customer service was most important I think I would have to suggest Microsoft. I have also had good luck with high end products from HP. Their customer service may fight you initially if out of warranty period for hardware failures but they have fixed my devices within a few months out of warranty.

Hp also is usually a decent price.

For me I think I am going to give Samsung a try. I have always liked them but their prices have always been high but their after sale support of the devices has always been good.

One thing I will say is the new Intel chips are pretty impressive. I like AMD Ryzen a lot but the i7 1255u which is middle high end mobile low power chip for intel with only 2 performance cores is a beast. It is almost as fast as an M1. It does get hot and spin up the fans but it is not terrible. Battery life is also better than tiger lake. There is like a 30% difference between Tiger Lake and Alder Lake and it is not just frequency and power. I have to admit I thought Alder Lake was going to be a disaster and I stand corrected.

Good luck whatever you decide!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have pretty good experience with OEM windows laptops. Dell is okay and customer service is decent. Problem with Windows is that most OEM's don't make much of a profit on each sale. Unlike Apple where they rake in the profits because they control their supply chain or should I say China does for them. They are not dependent on third party drivers, cpu/gpu, and make and design their own chassis. That being said there are good Windows Laptops out there.

I have not had a very good experience with Lenovo. They make decent hardware but their driver updates and after sale support is awful. I feel like they really don't care about their customers beyond just getting money. They are way overpriced in my opinion and a lot of times try to pass older cpu. I would avoid Lenovo. Just my personal opiniion. HP, Dell, Samsung or Microsoft would be my choice.

Microsoft Surface products are very good but my problem is the hardware. It lags behind other OEM's. However you can find deals on the Ryzen 5 model with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. Microsoft manages all the drivers and makes the hardware much like Apple does. It makes for a seamless experience and the OS is more optimized for the hardware.

I also like Samsung. Samsung is one of the few manufacturers that is not making everything in China. That may not matter to you but I just don't feel comfortable fueling an enemy with technology and cash and when I say China I don't mean the people or their culture but the CCP.

I have two laptops I bought from Bestbuy at the moment and am trying to decide which I am going to keep. Both cost the same. One is the MS Surface I mentioned above 13.5" and the other is a Samsung Galaxybook2 360-not the pro version. I like the design of the MS laptop just a little better and the higher resolution screen and speakers. However the Samsung has an OLED screen. The Samsung has a 12th gen i7 and 16gb ram and double the ssd size. The build quality of the Samsung is not quite as good as the Surface but not far behind. The Samsung is much lighter though and that is a plus. The Samsung has a great keyboard, more ports, a bigger battery, a much faster processor. So it is a tough choice. My main problem with the Surface is the laptop looks old in the design. Huge bezels, limited ports, old cpu all make the experience not so great.

As for customer service I think Samsung is getting better because they control a lot of their supply chain just like Apple and Microsoft. Unlike Apple and Microsoft and most other OEM's Samsung pretty much manufactures most the the components and has their own factory to build so they make more of a profit and quality is better.

If I were you and customer service was most important I think I would have to suggest Microsoft. I have also had good luck with high end products from HP. Their customer service may fight you initially if out of warranty period for hardware failures but they have fixed my devices within a few months out of warranty.

Hp also is usually a decent price.

For me I think I am going to give Samsung a try. I have always liked them but their prices have always been high but their after sale support of the devices has always been good.

One thing I will say is the new Intel chips are pretty impressive. I like AMD Ryzen a lot but the i7 1255u which is middle high end mobile low power chip for intel with only 2 performance cores is a beast. It is almost as fast as an M1. It does get hot and spin up the fans but it is not terrible. Battery life is also better than tiger lake. There is like a 30% difference between Tiger Lake and Alder Lake and it is not just frequency and power. I have to admit I thought Alder Lake was going to be a disaster and I stand corrected.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Funny you mention the Samsung and surface line. Just spent an hour in a beat buy playing around with them all and my two favourites was the surface laptop go and the MacBook Air. The rest had some weird track pads or keyboard lay outs or just flat out terrible screens.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Funny you mention the Samsung and surface line. Just spent an hour in a beat buy playing around with them all and my two favourites was the surface laptop go and the MacBook Air. The rest had some weird track pads or keyboard lay outs or just flat out terrible screens.
If you don’t mind the laptop 4 BestBuy has a great deal on the ryzen 5 edition with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. The go is slightly underpowered and has a plastic bottom. I think the laptop 4 is much better. Air is hard to beat if you don’t want windows!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you don’t mind the laptop 4 BestBuy has a great deal on the ryzen 5 edition with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. The go is slightly underpowered and has a plastic bottom. I think the laptop 4 is much better. Air is hard to beat if you don’t want windows!
Yea I’m actually looking at the go for my step son for high school after using it at the store today. Only needs it for basic tasks for school work but his dad bought him some massive 5 year old gaming laptop that dies on battery in 2 hours and weighs a ton lol. (He doesn’t really know tech, it can’t even run newer games lol)

I’ll have to take a look into the laptop 4. I didn’t see any deals on their surface devices at the store today. But I’m in Canada so different sales I’m sure.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well after all that, I end up putting in an order for a midnight M2 Air. Played with it quite a bit in the store and really loved the feel of the keyboard and trackpad, the screen was very nice as well. Won’t get here until mid august. Going to really put it through its paces for the 14 days to make sure. But I have iPads, an iPhone, watch etc. So I think this will go well

but I’m glad I went to look because I think the surface laptop go will be a great laptop for the 14 year old for high school.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Well after all that, I end up putting in an order for a midnight M2 Air. Played with it quite a bit in the store and really loved the feel of the keyboard and trackpad, the screen was very nice as well. Won’t get here until mid august. Going to really put it through its paces for the 14 days to make sure. But I have iPads, an iPhone, watch etc. So I think this will go well

but I’m glad I went to look because I think the surface laptop go will be a great laptop for the 14 year old for high school.
I think you made a great choice! I drool for the midnight blue color! M2 seems pretty impressive so far. Only thing I wish it had was the pro-motion screen otherwise it is pretty close to perfect. The cost on these is a little high but nice machines no doubt!

Enjoy it and tell us your first impressions when you get it!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I think you made a great choice! I drool for the midnight blue color! M2 seems pretty impressive so far. Only thing I wish it had was the pro-motion screen otherwise it is pretty close to perfect. The cost on these is a little high but nice machines no doubt!

Enjoy it and tell us your first impressions when you get it!
Will do! I’m happy they had the midnight set up at Best Buy to play with. Looks amazing in person!

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Will do! I’m happy they had the midnight set up at Best Buy to play with. Looks amazing in person!
I have to admit I am a little jealous. Lol. Seriously though I think it is going to be an awesome machine! Glad to see Apple moving in the direction they are with Macs. Macs seem to be finally getting the attention they deserve and making better design and hardware choices.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I have to admit I am a little jealous. Lol. Seriously though I think it is going to be an awesome machine! Glad to see Apple moving in the direction they are with Macs. Macs seem to be finally getting the attention they deserve and making better design and hardware choices.
The wife was like “you paid how much?!” May have “accidentally” bumped up the storage to 1tb before check out ;)

Reactions: Technerd108

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I end up picking up an Hp Aero 13 for my stepson for school. Pretty impressive little laptop, 2.2lbs, QHD screen, magnesium build with a Amd Zen 3 Ryzen 5 5600u. Was actually very impressed with the screen quality, very punchy colours, very bright too.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I've had an XPS15 for almost 3 years now. It's a tad heavy, but I like everything else about it, especially the screen. (it's an OLED) No major problems...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
What about Surface 4?

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
My brother runs a a business that uses both Mac and Windows machines. He has all Dell XPS computers. He upgrades computers as needed. He believes several things when it comes to Dell. Always custom order do not buy a standard configuration. He always gets the newest i5 chip, 16 gigs of ram and 1T drive. Choose Windows 11 Pro. And get their 3 year protection plan. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/new-xps-13-plus/spd/xps-13-9320-laptop/xn9320cto020s It would be 1550 set up like that.

The few times he has bought a "off the shelf" Dell he has had problems. But almost none with custom orders. And lastly like anything if you treat it right, keep it updated, and clean it up every now and then it will last 4-5 years easy He gives away his old to woman shelters and all and one has a Dell from 2012 that is still working. Slow but it still gets online.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My brother runs a a business that uses both Mac and Windows machines. He has all Dell XPS computers. He upgrades computers as needed. He believes several things when it comes to Dell. Always custom order do not buy a standard configuration. He always gets the newest i5 chip, 16 gigs of ram and 1T drive. Choose Windows 11 Pro. And get their 3 year protection plan. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/new-xps-13-plus/spd/xps-13-9320-laptop/xn9320cto020s It would be 1550 set up like that.

The few times he has bought a "off the shelf" Dell he has had problems. But almost none with custom orders. And lastly like anything if you treat it right, keep it updated, and clean it up every now and then it will last 4-5 years easy He gives away his old to woman shelters and all and one has a Dell from 2012 that is still working. Slow but it still gets online.
I appreciate the info and insight. It would be a custom order for what I wanted. I have the M2 air in order, going to take full advantage of the 14 day return window to make sure it’s exactly what I want.

If not, then a Dell order is up next lol

Reactions: AdamNC

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I appreciate the info and insight. It would be a custom order for what I wanted. I have the M2 air in order, going to take full advantage of the 14 day return window to make sure it’s exactly what I want.

If not, then a Dell order is up next lol
Dell also has the Latitude 7330 which can be configured to be 2.1 lb (magnesium alloy version, carbon fiber version is 2.5 lb) for a 13.3" screen. Don't have experience with it, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.