Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Only one just outside warranty, replacement keyboard.
Very good chargeable repair in home servicing.
Though not sure what to consider next time, maybe return to desktop or MacBook pro.
I don't seem to experience 100% reliability from MacBook or 2021 xps.
Yet never moved from home.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I tell you this wait is going to be the death of me. I seems windows laptops are being released daily! One I just came across tonight is the Lenovo Slim 7 pro x. And Ryzen 7 6800Hs, 16gb ddr5, 1tb ssd, 14” 3.5k 120hz touch display AND an Rtx 3050!

All metal build 3.2lbs with a 70Wh battery. With the specs listed, it’s $300 cheaper than my 16/1tb MacBook Air I have on order.

If I maxed out the spec with a 6900hs and 32gb of ram, it comes to about $50 more then the air.

The air advantages are its smaller, thinner and lighter. Plus I’m hoping the fluidity of having it synced with my iPhone will be very nice. But this thing better deliver because that Lenovo is sounding very tempting

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The air is a completely different type of computer. 3.2 lbs vs 2.7 lbs is a big difference. That being said for gaming the Lenovo depending on it's cooling solution would be much better. The build quality of the Lenovo is not as good but is tougher finish and thicker aluminum. The Lenovo is probably a tougher device.

The air is no slouch though with M2 but power draw is a lot different with the 6900hs probably consumes way more power under load and heats up but it also has a cooling solution absent in the air. It is like apples to oranges in a lot of ways.

I think both would be awesome machines for very different use cases.

I have a Lenovo 7i with 1255u, pci 4 512gb ssd, 16gb ddr5 ram, 2.5k touchscreen and it is a beast for a 14" inexpensive laptop. Nowhere near the specs of your Slim7 pro but the build quality on this thing is really good and it has a 4 speaker set up that sounds great.

If I tried to compare it to an M2 Air the Air would win but it cost almost 3 times what I paid for the Lenovo and benchmark wise except in graphics it is pretty close at least in multicore to the air. The M2 kills in single core. But again considering cost Windows laptops are pretty hard to beat if you can get them on sale. I don't mind Windows 11 and although I prefer MacOS I can use either and get everything I need done.

Integration with Apple devices is a huge strength and the only thing that comes close is Samsung. I could have an S22 with a Tab S8 and a Galaxybook 2 pro 360 and they would all integrate almost as seamlessly as Apples devices.

Ultimately for me the nail in the coffin for Windows and Android is iPhone. I have a Galaxy s20fe and tried an s22 and I like them both a lot. I kept my S20fe because it still runs really well. next year I will upgrade it. So I tried using android again and I can do most everything I do in my iPhone but the integration into my car and other devices is clunky and can be buggy at times. With my iPhone most of what I do works very well and is consistent.

So if I were to use a Windows laptop and android devices as my primary it just doesn't work as well for me for a variety of reasons so I am stuck with my iPhone as my primary phone. I need a windows device for some applications but it doesn't need to be expensive as MacOS is my primary driver. I could save money just using Android and Windows but it doesn't work as well for most of what I do.

To me if your primary phone is an iPhone then the decision on what device you use for a tablet and computer or laptop are already made. Answering the phone and sending texts on all my devices seamlessly is a very nice and useful feature. So for you if you use an iPhone as primary then the Air is probably the best choice.

If you could afford both that would be ideal!!
Ive definitely been happy with my decision to just go all in on apple, I won't be considering a windows anytime soon now

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I tell you this wait is going to be the death of me. I seems windows laptops are being released daily! One I just came across tonight is the Lenovo Slim 7 pro x. And Ryzen 7 6800Hs, 16gb ddr5, 1tb ssd, 14” 3.5k 120hz touch display AND an Rtx 3050!

All metal build 3.2lbs with a 70Wh battery. With the specs listed, it’s $300 cheaper than my 16/1tb MacBook Air I have on order.

If I maxed out the spec with a 6900hs and 32gb of ram, it comes to about $50 more then the air.

The air advantages are its smaller, thinner and lighter. Plus I’m hoping the fluidity of having it synced with my iPhone will be very nice. But this thing better deliver because that Lenovo is sounding very tempting
For me I like using multiple devices for a number of reasons. I have some finance related apps tied to android. For work documents, resumes and administrative tools I like windows. As my primary driver I like MacOS.

My iPhone is my primary phone and that links everything else to it for me. Using an iPad to respond to text or random call when I am using it is so convenient. Using my mac the same way is so useful. I like MacOS better than Windows. It just feels more up to date. But there are some things that are tried and true in Windows and Android that I like to use.

I tried to use my android phone for a couple months as my daily driver and although it worked. There were things I needed work arounds or were just not as smooth and integrated as my iPhone and texting is just better on my iPhone-for me.

So I was getting rid of some devices and scaling back to save some money and I thought about just using windows and android as it would be cheaper but I would not enjoy the experience and some things would not work as well.

So my choice was to get an M2 Air and a cheap window laptop I got on sale. I still have an S20fe I got free from T mobile. So now I get to use all the devices I need for each specific task and I like that the best. I don't have a MBP 16" with M1 Max and 64gb ram and I don't have a top of the line Windows computer or new android phone but what I have is good enough for me.

For you both machines you are comparing are really nice but very different. If you game then the Lenovo will be much better. For everything else and portability the Air will be better. The integration of the Mac and your phone is very nice.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
As a consumer with experience purchasing and using XPS systems, I would get an XPS 13, while NOT ever getting an XPS 15.

Dell does not know how to engineer thermals. For laptops with integrated GPUs, they are just fine. With laptops with discrete cards, they tend to not do very well compared to the competition. So especially for a product that is trying to ride that incredibly fine line of being super slim and lightweight, but also have a discrete card and performance like the XPS 15 does, it's a notoriously bad product.

But the XPS 13 and all it's variations are consistently the safest bet for a great PC experience. I can't say that they match Thinkpad build quality, or MacBook battery life, or Asus affordability, but the XPS 13 is consistently towards the top in almost all of those categories year in and year out.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
The battery life on my XPS 15 is solid, but not in the realm of a MacBook. It probably wouldn't last through a workday for me, in spite of the fact I keep screen brightness about half and don't really tax my systems. Definitely something to consider.
Which xps 15 version you have and what are the specs?

How many hours can you get out of it web browsing or youtubing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.