Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What exactly makes a Windows product “lesser”?
For me, the shorter battery life and more heat generated as a result of the intel processor, the dearth of preinstalled apps, the lack of integration with my other apple devices, and build quality.

Maybe "lesser" isn't the word I would use, but that's what I prefer about my M1 MBA (8gb ram and all) at any rate.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
They are not high quality as in build-quality. I like and use Razer products btw for example, but quality they are not. Premium fashion they are.
Suuuuuuuuure…. I mean, I guess you have some sort of evidence to back that up?

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Bollocks
.. C'mon

:confused:

I’ve used PCs from windows 3 upwards (I was programming on SCO-Unix boxes before then).

All Microsoft windows software is cheap and nasty crap compared to the then current version of MacOS.
The current windows is just a pretty front-end on top of nasty rubbish from previous. I thought everyone knew that.

Even Visual Studio was garbage when I had to suffer it compared to XCode.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Suuuuuuuuure…. I mean, I guess you have some sort of evidence to back that up?

Evidence?
It’s easy enough to see the build-quality of their PCs compared to MacBook Pros.
Just go into your local PC shop and look at them.

At least Sony Vaio PCs were really good build quality.

As I said, I like the Razer brand and use their products but I am under no illusions - they are over-priced cheaply made products compared to Macs. That’s ok, I can afford it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I’ve used PCs from windows 3 upwards (I was programming on SCO-Unix boxes before then).

All Microsoft windows software is cheap and nasty crap compared to the then current version of MacOS.
The current windows is just a pretty front-end on top of nasty rubbish from previous. I thought everyone knew that.

Even Visual Studio was garbage when I had to suffer it compared to XCode.
Windows 1, 2, and 3 were definitely awful. Windows NT 4 is where they finally did better. I often have said that Microsoft spends 100% of their time on 65% of the solution.

Their development environment is just as convoluted as any other. All of them are useful, none of them are intuitive, although I liked CodeWarrior for Mac. Apple's environment for System 7 through Mac OS 9.x was interesting.

Of the current macOS and Windows, I'm okay with both. They both work. Neither are perfect.

Given the Macs on Apple Silicon, it feels as though we're in the early Mac OS X days.

Reactions: ader42

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Evidence?
It’s easy enough to see the build-quality of their PCs compared to MacBook Pros.
Just go into your local PC shop and look at them.

At least Sony Vaio PCs were really good build quality.

As I said, I like the Razer brand and use their products but I am under no illusions - they are over-priced cheaply made products compared to Macs. That’s ok, I can afford it.
My surface pro 9 feels just as premium as my M1 Macbook Pro. And actually, when you factor the plastic in, my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16" feels just as premium as well. So, I don't know what to tell you.

These things are subjective, I guess.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My surface pro 9 feels just as premium as my M1 Macbook Pro. And actually, when you factor the plastic in, my Acer Predator Helios Neo 16" feels just as premium as well. So, I don't know what to tell you.

These things are subjective, I guess.
It is subjective, but perception is often based on experience. e.g., if you haven't seen a $1 million diamond, will you realize any difference from those sold at flea markets?

My ASUS ZenBook Pro was priced below my refurbished M1 MacBook Air but has a Ryzen 7 5800H and RTX 3050Ti. The ZenBook has plenty of metal and isn't as hot as my last Intel machine. The only thing degrading it is the stickers on the palm rest. Contrast that to the Omen by HP machine with a crooked hinge, which was often too hot to use the keyboard.

I'm remembering when Volkswagen was introducing the Golf Mk IV. They found ways to make it feel more expensive, even though they cut costs. If a company takes time to do things well, the results are easy to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.