Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinango

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2023
Is it true that if you go in for an iPad battery replacement, Apple takes your iPad and gives you a refurbished one?
I can tell you that Apple's policy on battery replacements can vary. Generally, if you bring your iPad in for a battery replacement, Apple might replace the battery itself. However, there have been cases where they might offer a replacement iPad if the repair becomes more complex or if they determine it's the best solution.

The key is to check with Apple directly or visit an authorized service center to get the most accurate and up-to-date information. Their policies can change over time, so it's always a good idea to get the details directly from the source.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2023
When my dad replaced his ipad screen they somehow gave him a new 2018 ipad pro. That was in 2022-2021

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I can tell you that Apple's policy on battery replacements can vary. Generally, if you bring your iPad in for a battery replacement, Apple might replace the battery itself. However, there have been cases where they might offer a replacement iPad if the repair becomes more complex or if they determine it's the best solution.

The key is to check with Apple directly or visit an authorized service center to get the most accurate and up-to-date information. Their policies can change over time, so it's always a good idea to get the details directly from the source.
With Apple the rule is that they replace the iPad (confirmed by Apple staff), anything is a (rare) exception (contrary to iPhone, where they just replace the battery).

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I went thru this exercise in the recent days. My daughter's iPad Air 3 battery deteriorated below 80% health and Apple just did that; they gave us a brand new iPad - same model, storage, color. We had to pay for battery replacement service with after tax price came up to be $128.52. I know this is not the newest iPad, but overall for under $130 we got a brand new one that still performs super well, so I would call it a great deal if you dont catch an itch to buy a new one.

In our case getting a newer model wasn't an option, cause she need 256 GB storage and even the cheapest iPad with 256 Gb configuration would be over $500 when you factor tax, so this feels like an excellent deal. Additionally, her old iPad had 2 white spots on the screen, and this one obviously does not have that issue - another win :)

If you have an iPad with battery that qualifies for a replacement service and dont feel like dumping money on a brand new one, I highly recommend to go this route.

Reactions: Digitalguy

ricketysquire

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
As many have mentioned the policy varies.

From personal experience, I bought a used iPad 6th Gen back in 2020. The seller didn't disclose it but the battery health was at around 80 something percent, I think 85%. The battery was draining pretty quick, and it was far under the 10 hours that Apple rated for the model. Since it was out of warranty, I reached out to Apple willing to pay the battery service fee of $99. Because it wasn't low enough per their own standards, even through I was willing to pay they refused to do anything with it. I tried escalating it, and spoke to a bunch of folks but it didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. So I ended trading it into Best Buy (at a loss for what I paid for) and getting a new device.

That's one of my biggest criticisms with Apple, if the batteries aren't user serviceable then the user should have the right to pay for a battery replacement outside of a warranty related issue. Apple shouldn't just arbitrarily be able to say, your battery life has decreased but hasn't decreased enough by our standards for you to pay us to do something about it. There are users that need the full 9-10 hours of battery life and have an unusable device if it's only lasting 6-7 hours, for example they could be using the iPad at a job site where they might not have access to an outlet. If an iPad is supposed to be a portable computing device then having the full rated battery life is key, otherwise it's just another disposable toy. *gets off soapbox*

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

From personal experience, I bought a used iPad 6th Gen back in 2020. The seller didn't disclose it but the battery health was at around 80 something percent, I think 85%. The battery was draining pretty quick, and it was far under the 10 hours that Apple rated for the model. Since it was out of warranty, I reached out to Apple willing to pay the battery service fee of $99. Because it wasn't low enough per their own standards, even through I was willing to pay they refused to do anything with it. I tried escalating it, and spoke to a bunch of folks but it didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. So I ended trading it into Best Buy (at a loss for what I paid for) and getting a new device.

That's one of my biggest criticisms with Apple, if the batteries aren't user serviceable then the user should have the right to pay for a battery replacement outside of a warranty related issue. Apple shouldn't just arbitrarily be able to say, your battery life has decreased but hasn't decreased enough by our standards for you to pay us to do something about it. There are users that need the full 9-10 hours of battery life and have an unusable device if it's only lasting 6-7 hours, for example they could be using the iPad at a job site where they might not have access to an outlet. If an iPad is supposed to be a portable computing device then having the full rated battery life is key, otherwise it's just another disposable toy. *gets off soapbox*
that's the normal Apple policy unfortunately...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

An updated iPad 6th-gen wouldn’t get to 10 hours regardless of battery health. Apple’s replacement would be updated, so there’s nothing you can do.

Until Apple reverses its 16-year-old policy of obliterating devices through irreversible updates, there’s nothing users can do.

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
They will agree to swap your iPad only if your battery health is below 80%.

You can check that (indirectly) by checking your iPad analytics data here.
c9ccb7591c3fe5713084e616c5b23902.png
My iPad Pro is still at 92%

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
And another question related to this topic . . . . does Apple transfer the data from old to replacement iPad as part of the exchange process? I mean is that done at the store when the handoff occurs, or must I wipe the old unit and restore from backup on the replacement?

In store exchanges will generally do a restore from iCloud backup and when that is done wipe the old iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.