Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Is it worth going from an SE to a Regular sized 8 in 2019?

Thoughts?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
An excellent question. Hopefully this flowchart can be of some use.

handyflowchart.png

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I just purchased an 8 and gave the 7+ I had to my wife. She likes the larger phone and screen while I prefer the 4.7" size. Most women carry their phones in a handbag (which is usually oversized) while men tend to carry the phone in their pocket. The 7+ was just too bulky for me. The only thing I miss about the 7+ is landscape mode which the 8 does not do.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
What color are you planning to get? ;)

Among all the phones in the current lineup, I like the 8 the best. I don't like the shiny edges of the XS, the antenna bands, and the issue with PWM. I don't like the size and weight of the XR. The 7 lacks wireless charging. The plus/max models are too big.

I am also thinking of getting an 8. Leaning towards the space gray with 64 GB.

Last edited:

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I edited my previous post and added more info in the time you responded.

I don't like the looks of the XS, so for me that decision is easy.
Yeah i'm not sure if pwm bothers me or not I know my tv uses a pwm of 720hz which is higher than the 240hz that the xs has.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Shouldn't be too hard deciding based on price. The 8 is going to be a lot less expensive. I looked at both and decided I didn't need to spend another $300 for the XS. Is it worth $300 more? You decide.

You mean $400, right?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, maybe I was off $100. All I know is that when I decided between the two phones, it just didn't make sense to me to spend the extra money for something that I really didn't think was worth it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thoughts?

The biggest differential aside from the upgraded technology, would be the size factor. Which leads me to my next question, are you comfortable with the overall size difference between both phones? That would be one of my strongest considerations, given a 4 inch iPhone SE. for some, they don’t want anything larger than a 4 inch iPhone, even though the 4.7 inch iPhone is larger, it’s rather notable.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Shouldn't be too hard deciding based on price. The 8 is going to be a lot less expensive. I looked at both and decided I didn't need to spend another $300 for the XS. Is it worth $300 more? You decide.

If I was getting an 8, I would simply wait a little bit until it’s back in stock at Apples refurbished store and snag it for just $499.

Apples refurbs are basically in brand new condition and come with a new battery / housing + 1-year warranty.

$500 (8 refurb vs Xs) is a pretty huge savings. Just goes to show you how ridiculous Apple’s pricing is on their X series type phones.

Btw a refurbished iPhone X is available from Apple for $769. Might be a better option than spending $999 on an Xs.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Btw a refurbished iPhone X is available from Apple for $769. Might be a better option than spending $999 on an Xs.

But that’s a $230 difference between a $1000 XS $769 for a 2017 X. And I’m not sure a $230 difference would be worth spending _that_ much more on an XS that really isn’t that significantly different, considering they both primarily offer the same features. Especially given Apple’s reputation with refurbished units, I personally would not spend the $230 for the XS that is virtually the same phone for the 5.8 model. Especially given consumers likely don’t even really know the difference because between both phones, the X might be the better value there.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
But that’s a $230 difference between a $1000 XS $769 for a 2017 X. And I’m not sure a $230 difference would be worth spending _that_ much more on an XS that really isn’t that significantly different, considering they both primarily offer the same features. Especially given Apple’s reputation with refurbished units, I personally would not spend the $230 for the XS that is virtually the same phone for the 5.8 model. Especially given consumers likely don’t even really know the difference because between both phones, the X might be the better value there.

So we’re both in agreement that we would rather get an Apple refurbished X for $769 than spend $999 on a similar featured Xs, right? :)

Seemed like in your post above you thought I felt the opposite (aka buying Xs over refurb X).

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Looking at the 8 and XS, having a hard time deciding
Well, between these two models i think the pricing gap is significant enough to be the main deciding point. The 8 can be had from $599, the XS $999 - I guess it boils down to do you want to spend (at least) $1,000 on a phone? You can get the 256GB variant of the 8 for $749 - still $250 less than the XS!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So we’re both in agreement that we would rather get an Apple refurbished X for $769 than spend $999 on a similar featured Xs, right? :)

Seemed like in your post above you thought I felt the opposite (aka buying Xs over refurb X).

Definitely in agreement. I just can’t see why someone would want to spend that much more on the XS, when they really are a lot of the same phone. I know some like to make the argument that the A12 processor is more geared towards 60 frames per second for gaming and HDR on the camera, I still don’t think that’s enough to justify that price difference. And the 2017 X was a solid phone for the most part, very few issues reported.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Definitely in agreement. I just can’t see why someone would want to spend that much more on the XS, when they really are a lot of the same phone. I know some like to make the argument that the A12 processor is more geared towards 60 frames per second for gaming and HDR on the camera, I still don’t think that’s enough to justify that price difference. And the 2017 X was a solid phone for the most part, very few issues reported.
Largely agree with the point you're making, though one area I would argue the XS is worth the money over a X is if the camera is particularly important to you - the 1/2.5" sensor produces much better images than the 1/3" used in the X, and you get stereo audio for your videos (finally!). If you are into photography, the XS is 'worth it' over any previous gen iPhone, even the X!

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Rebel22

Suspended
Feb 14, 2019
I just purchased an 8 and gave the 7+ I had to my wife. She likes the larger phone and screen while I prefer the 4.7" size. Most women carry their phones in a handbag (which is usually oversized) while men tend to carry the phone in their pocket. The 7+ was just too bulky for me. The only thing I miss about the 7+ is landscape mode which the 8 does not do.

If you (((unleash))) it, the 8 can 100% do landscape as does the SE
[doublepost=1550414795][/doublepost]
The biggest differential aside from the upgraded technology, would be the size factor. Which leads me to my next question, are you comfortable with the overall size difference between both phones? That would be one of my strongest considerations, given a 4 inch iPhone SE. for some, they don’t want anything larger than a 4 inch iPhone, even though the 4.7 inch iPhone is larger, it’s rather notable.

It’s the weight....Apple should be liberating people from being slaves to carrying extra weight. They have completely abandoned the ideals that were espoused in the 1984 commerical. Make a movie screen device... it doesn’t matter....when will people wake up to being chained down by heavier and heavier devices? Technology should be enabling us to be quicker and faster, not fatter and slower. The SE is beloved not because of the screen size, but because of the weight.. I could care less about the screen size... the SE can do everything your XS can do when it is unleashed, and that triggers people who bitterly cling to their devices that are nearly double the weight and believe they are getting better value, when in fact they are being slaves to their devices, instead of making their devices slaves to them....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

It’s the weight....Apple should be liberating people from being slaves to carrying extra weight. They have completely abandoned the ideals that were espoused in the 1984 commerical. Make a movie screen device... it doesn’t matter....when will people wake up to being chained down by heavier and heavier devices? Technology should be enabling us to be quicker and faster, not fatter and slower. The SE is beloved not because of the screen size, but because of the weight.. I could care less about the screen size... the SE can do everything your XS can do when it is unleashed, and that triggers people who bitterly cling to their devices that are nearly double the weight and believe they are getting better value, when in fact they are being slaves to their devices, instead of making their devices slaves to them....
More than likely most go for SE more for the size than weight. And what's "unleashed"?

Reactions: ericwn

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016

Unleash it? please explain.

Rebel22

Suspended
Feb 14, 2019
Unleash it? please explain.

I’m not saying the word...this guy has millions of followers.

You can bring all the X gestures into any SE or 8 device...the possibilities are limitless...my SE runs circles around any XS, and it has 5x the audio quality with a 3.5mm jack.

You can’t stop innovation, you can only slow it down, and decrease quality of life. I refuse to allow a company run by people stuck in a bubble to tell someone who has climbed 6,000 miles across America with a 4 ounce device that can do 98% of what your 7-8 ounce devices can do. Every gram matters.

Get out of San Francisco Apple, go meet real people like I have and see how these heavier and heavier devices are crippling them

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.