Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m not saying the word...this guy has millions of followers.

You can bring all the X gestures into any SE or 8 device...the possibilities are limitless...my SE runs circles around any XS, and it has 5x the audio quality with a 3.5mm jack.

You can’t stop innovation, you can only slow it down, and decrease quality of life. I refuse to allow a company run by people stuck in a bubble to tell someone who has climbed 6,000 miles across America with a 4 ounce device that can do 98% of what your 7-8 ounce devices can do. Every gram matters.

Get out of San Francisco Apple, go meet real people like I have and see how these heavier and heavier devices are crippling them and making them slow and fat

So we are just talking about jailbreaking? Not sure how much can be put into commentary relating to iOS and iPhones where jailbreaking is refered to as "unleashing".

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebel22

Suspended
Feb 14, 2019
So we are just talking about jailbreaking? Not sure how much can be put into commentary relating to iOS and iPhones where jailbreaking is refered to as "unleashing".

I was under the presumption that that word was not allowed on here, so I wanted to skirt around it. Sure the 8 is snappier than the SE, but it has terrible sound quality and weighs much more in comparison and those two things cancel out any advantage in my book...wireless charging...lol get real it just adds unnecessary weight. Stainless steel on the X phones....get real...use carbon fiber Apple. Liberate us don’t chain us to the ground

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was under the presumption that that word was not allowed on here, so I wanted to skirt around it. Sure the 8 is snappier than the SE, but it has terrible sound quality and weighs much more in comparison and those two things cancel out any advantage in my book...wireless charging...lol get real it just adds unnecessary weight. Stainless steel on the X phones....get real...use carbon fiber Apple. Liberate us don’t chain us to the ground

There's a whole section here dedicated to jailbreaking discussions: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/jailbreaks-and-ios-hacks.105/

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
meet real people like I have and see how these heavier and heavier devices are crippling them

I don't know anyone 'crippled' by a lousy couple hundred grams at most, which is about the weight of one of Apple's largest phones, and is a couple hundred grams more only when compared to...having absolutely no phone. When compared to the SE, or any other phone, we are talking what, like 50 grams difference? Few handfuls of potato chips, barely perceivable in reality.

Also, you must be new here, the SE is loved for the screen size, not the weight. Not once have I seen a thread where people were clamoring for the SE for it's weight, it's always due to screen size.

I had an SE, I left it behind almost a year and a half ago now. Nice phone, but glad to have ditched it, despite the fact I am now heinously crippled. The SE had it's time in the sun, it's time to take it out back and shoot it behind the barn.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Get out of San Francisco Apple, go meet real people like I have and see how these heavier and heavier devices are crippling them]
Crippling? lol. Terrible exaggeration.

8 is a good move from the SE. Apple builds incredible chips that are about 3 or 4 years ahead of their time. 8 will still be good for 2 to 3 more years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sure the 8 is snappier than the SE, but it has terrible sound quality.

Not sure why you would blatantly post something entirely inaccurate, the iPhone 8 has Stereo speakers, which the SE isn’t even on the same level as the 8 is in terms of sound.

.wireless charging...lol get real it just adds unnecessary weight.

Another fallacy. The wireless charging coil is constructed of copper and is fairly small, which you literally could not differentiate the weight even without it. If you wanted to blame the weight for the larger iPhone models, you should start with the glass or stainless bands, not the wireless copper coil.

Refer to the ifixit Breakdown picture, it’s that small:

6A11EEAC-0783-4707-8516-DFD83D4CC94F.jpeg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If someone can't get through a normal day due to the weight of a iPhone 8 versus the SE, said person(s) have some serious medial issues happening in their life, that have nothing formally to do with the iPhone.

Rebel,
Bantering on about the weight difference of the SE is a waste of time here. So is promoting your YouTube video showing you verbally harassing a iPhone employee with meaningless drivel.

We get you like the SE. No problem. A lot of people do. Saying you will nail yourself to a cross in 2020 if Apple doesn't bring back the SE is rather bizarre, to say the least.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017

The person making that video is harassing a store attendant that has less than zero to do with design decisions by Apple. Not cool.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
That video literally just made me cough up coffee.

I get it, average dude wanting to get eFamous and bring exposure to a niche segment that’s left out. That niche segment has a few people left that don’t understand that spending resources on a product that will barely generate revenue is a waste of resources.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That video literally just made me cough up coffee.

I get it, average dude wanting to get eFamous and bring exposure to a niche segment that’s left out. That niche segment has a few people left that don’t understand that spending resources on a product that will barely generate revenue is a waste of resources.

Your post is raw, but you’re right. The SE is a great phone, but it’s not enough to be profitable for Apple long-term, that’s the really the main reason why they likely discontinued it. It probably was always intended to be a limited time offering, and when they see the cost versus generating revenue, it doesn’t translate for Apple to make money, and that’s what this company is good at, it’s making lots of money.

The ones that are most passionate about the SE are on sites like this, But in terms of when the average consumer upgrades their phones, the SE is not a sought after device, simply because of its limitations and size, period.

Reactions: bambooshots

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

This has to be the saddest complainer video of the week. What a ridiculous person. So anytime one feels like a company doesn’t make the product that that clever guy expects one should go into a store and ask the sales person while putting a camera to their face. Because, all random sales people are totally experts on the product development front and do nothing but have sad talks about what the company doesn’t do well anymore.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
(Regular sized XS)
How's the experience? Going from a small phone to a bigger phone?
Pros and Cons?

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013

You are confusing what YOU want with what the rest of the market wants.

Apple spends more money on marketing research in a year than you'll see in several lifetimes. I'm sure they have a better idea of what the market wants.

Last edited:

jpbicknell

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
I went from a 7 to an Xs... didn't like the size or WEIGHT gain.. sold the Xs, regretting trading in my 7... took advantage of the clearance sale of the SE in a 128gb size... am very happy with this phone. hold out for a small offering!

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I went from a 7 to an Xs... didn't like the size or WEIGHT gain.. sold the Xs, regretting trading in my 7... took advantage of the clearance sale of the SE in a 128gb size... am very happy with this phone. hold out for a small offering!
Did you like anything about the XS?
Notch, OLED Screen etc.

jpbicknell

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
I appreciated the OLED and found myself mesmerized by the way it illuminates compared to LCD... Yes I miss the Taptic engine, But I didn't feel like the phone was worth $1000.

While the notch didn't bother me, Face ID bothered me. I put my phone on the dashboard and was used to easily unlocking with my thumb. Face ID worked about 50/50 in that situation. Also unlocking your phone while its laying flat on a surface and away from you, say goodbye to that.

The Xs felt more like an enhanced media device and less utilitarian.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If you don’t mind the size/weight increase, the XS is an upgrade in every aspect.. Hard to compare the two as they sit at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum..

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Why not go into a store and try it out?
They closed my apple store for remodeling, It sucks
[doublepost=1550539840][/doublepost]
If you don’t mind the size/weight increase, the XS is an upgrade in every aspect.. Hard to compare the two as they sit at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum..
one of my main concern would be the one handed use, I want a bigger screen than the SE but want to maintain the one handed use.
[doublepost=1550539871][/doublepost]
I appreciated the OLED and found myself mesmerized by the way it illuminates compared to LCD... Yes I miss the Taptic engine, But I didn't feel like the phone was worth $1000.

While the notch didn't bother me, Face ID bothered me. I put my phone on the dashboard and was used to easily unlocking with my thumb. Face ID worked about 50/50 in that situation. Also unlocking your phone while its laying flat on a surface and away from you, say goodbye to that.

The Xs felt more like an enhanced media device and less utilitarian.
Did the PWM bother you at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.