Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
(Regular sized XS)
How's the experience? Going from a small phone to a bigger phone?
Pros and Cons?

This seems rather self explanatory. If you look at the ‘Tech specs’ on both these phones, the weight difference is substantial with the XS being much weightier. However, if you haven’t handled the 5.8 XS, it’s actually fairly comfortable in the hand, and doesn’t feel as ‘Edgy’ compared to the SE.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Winston-

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
I currently use an iPhone 7 right now coming from and SE before and you should be able to adjust to the screen size mostly fine. So yes the added screen size is worth it.

Last edited:

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Back in the day, I used an iPhone 3GS. As it approached the time to shop for an upgrade, two things happened. One, the Galaxy Note was announced, ushering in the era of so-called phablets. The device was comically larger than the iPhone but was actually very well received. The other thing that happened was that other manufacturers were beginning coming out with with larger screen sizes in general; phones in the 4-4.5" range. While I was initially struck by the ridiculous screen size of the note, the other phones with larger screens immediately seemed right to me. The larger screens were so much more pleasant to use while the devices still felt appropriately "phone-sized". Comparatively, the 3GS (and, by extension, the original iPhone), felt like it was smaller than it really needed to be. It is barely larger than my palm (see picture of my original iPhone for reference). I ultimately upgraded to the 4.3" Nokia Lumia 900 (Windows phone), followed by the 4.7" Google Nexus 4, then to the 4.7" iPhone 6.

I have recently upgraded from the iPhone 6 to the XS. The 6 is the thinnest iPhone ever and nearly the lightest as well, and let me tell you - it's been nice. Thus the XS represents a relatively substantial increase in bulk. Nevertheless, it's completely fine. Everything about it still feels appropriately "phone-sized". The SE strikes me as being intentionally compact. That's not a bad thing, just a matter of priority. The SE is the best (iOS-based) choice if you prioritize a compact form factor. Otherwise, I think the "standard" size of the 8/XS is the sweet spot for a phone when you are aren't interested in entering the phablet category.

OG.jpg

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
one of my main concern would be the one handed use, I want a bigger screen than the SE but want to maintain the one handed use.
Kind of depends on what you mean by one-handed use. The 4” iPhone is pretty much the max size for one-handed use without the aid of gravity (that’s why Apple chose that size at the time). Anything bigger and you have to start resting it on your fingers instead of grasping it in order for your thumb to reach the entire screen. People say it’s not a problem to do, all the way up to the 5.5” and 5.8” iPhones, not sure about the 6.5”. But answers will vary in that regard, so it’s just something one has to try out for oneself.

Reactions: BigBen2493

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Kind of depends on what you mean by one-handed use. The 4” iPhone is pretty much the max size for one-handed use without the aid of gravity (that’s why Apple chose that size at the time). Anything bigger and you have to start resting it on your fingers instead of grasping it in order for your thumb to reach the entire screen. People say it’s not a problem to do, all the way up to the 5.5” and 5.8” iPhones, not sure about the 6.5”. But answers will vary in that regard, so it’s just something one has to try out for oneself.
Yeah I know the 6.1 inch XR is too big

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hard to predict but the SE has the A9 chipset which has been around since 2015, iPhone 8 has the A11 which came out last year. I’d say the iPhone 8 will be supported for at least 3 more years than the SE..

I used to always have the latest and greatest iPhone but once I got to the 6S, Apple hasn't given me a compelling reason to upgrade. My 6S is still zippy and reliable, but I needed an unlocked phone that would also support CDMA, so I bought a 128gb SE during the recent clearance sale, and to me it's even better: compact, lighter, better battery life and the same fast chip and decent camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.