Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
My iPad usage is primarily about reading something, whether downloaded books or online news/opinion pieces or forums or research of one thing or another with a bit of YouTube mixed in.

My struggle is deciding between the 2020 12.9” or 2021 12.9”. I want to move to the larger screen. When the 2021 12.9” was reported, I saw this as a major improvement in an already great screen.

600 nits seemed to be increased to 1000 for daily usage. Finally a good outdoors screen, I thought, but it seems that 1000 has more to do with video, that 600 seems to remain the top usable brightness.

Same thing with the mini-LEDs themselves. My initial take was that there would be better contrast for reading, but now I’m not so sure. That also seems more for video.

So now I await reviews and hopefully to see one in person. But I don’t want to let easy access to a 2020 12.9” get away as discounts will hopefully increase but stock will become less readily available. It’s tempting to order a 2020 now while the price is $899 for 256Gb at Costco. I may order it and leave it unopened until I better understand the upgraded 12.9” screen. If the 2021 12.9” is an improvement for reading, I’ll return it in new condition and try to find what will probably be a scarce 2021 12.9”.

They gave the contrast ratio (1,000,000:1) - why is no one discussing or taking that into account?

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
They gave the contrast ratio (1,000,000:1) - why is no one discussing or taking that into account?
I did not realize that, but forum member "the future" noted it in post 17. That has my hopes up. I'm always looking for fonts that are more crisp.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
No chance it'll have deep blacks like oled.

1000 nits at full brightness, no one uses their iPad at full brightness, so it’s 600 nits in everyday use, useless feature, I’d rather a oled display.
Ins't 600 the 2020 max ipad brightness? If so, then I don't see how it would be useless.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ins't 600 the 2020 max ipad brightness? If so, then I don't see how it would be useless.
No one that I know uses their iPad at max brightness, 1000 nits is nothing more than a gimmick that many people won’t even use.

These current iPad Pros should of gone with oled, no one needs the extra brightness, extra contrast and deep blacks on the other hand, yes please.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
No one that I know uses their iPad at max brightness, 1000 nits is nothing more than a gimmick that many people won’t even use.

These current iPad Pros should of gone with oled, no one needs the extra brightness, extra contrast and deep blacks on the other hand, yes please.
You’re still not getting it. A display that has a max of 1000 is as bright as one that has a max of 600 when the display is at only 60% of its maximum setting.

Reactions: Carlanga

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
You’re still not getting it. A display that has a max of 1000 is as bright as one that has a max of 600 when the display is at only 60% of its maximum setting.
Still makes no difference, oled all day, every day.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That was the point of my post, maybe you are not getting it...

As far as OLED vs miniLED, miniLED has higher brightness and lower chance of burn in than OLED and you are complaining about brightness...

Reactions: BlindBandit

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
That was the point of my post, maybe you are not getting it...

As far as OLED vs miniLED, miniLED has higher brightness and lower chance of burn in than OLED and you are complaining about brightness...
People worry way to much about burn in, apple have been using oled panels in their phones since 2017, no burn in yet, other companies are starting to use oled panels in their laptops and tablets.

Typical apple cutting cost and charging a premium for it.

Most people don’t even care about brightness, 30%-50% is plenty for people.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
It will have mild blooming, but it won't be as severe on a smaller display. Just think of it as a slightly inferior iPhone OLED panel. It will never match that level of contrast, but it will certainly come close. That's just the nature of Local Dimming Technology. Regardless, it will still be an improvement over a standard LED backlight. Just don't expect it to be a 1:1 copy of an iPhone.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It will have mild blooming, but it won't be as severe on a smaller display. Just think of it as a slightly inferior iPhone OLED panel. It will never match that level of contrast, but it will certainly come close. That's just the nature of Local Dimming Technology. Regardless, it will still be an improvement over a standard LED backlight. Just don't expect it to be a 1:1 copy of an iPhone.
I’m in no rush, 3rd gen pro still running like a beast, hopefully apple don’t make us wait for oled on tablets like oled on iPhones lol.

The wait for the first oled iPad continues.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I’m in no rush, 3rd gen pro still running like a beast, hopefully apple don’t make us wait for oled on tablets like oled on iPhones lol.

The wait for the first oled iPad continues.

Hopefully the 11 inch will get OLED first. I would like to try out Mini LED, but the 12.9 size is cumbersome and impractical for me. Hopefully by the time OLED is ready for the iPad people will have an equal choice between sizes.

Reactions: LFC2020

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
My iPad usage is primarily about reading something, whether downloaded books or online news/opinion pieces or forums or research of one thing or another with a bit of YouTube mixed in.

My struggle is deciding between the 2020 12.9” or 2021 12.9”. I want to move to the larger screen. When the 2021 12.9” was reported, I saw this as a major improvement in an already great screen.

600 nits seemed to be increased to 1000 for daily usage. Finally a good outdoors screen, I thought, but it seems that 1000 has more to do with video, that 600 seems to remain the top usable brightness.

Same thing with the mini-LEDs themselves. My initial take was that there would be better contrast for reading, but now I’m not so sure. That also seems more for video.

So now I await reviews and hopefully to see one in person. But I don’t want to let easy access to a 2020 12.9” get away as discounts will hopefully increase but stock will become less readily available. It’s tempting to order a 2020 now while the price is $899 for 256Gb at Costco. I may order it and leave it unopened until I better understand the upgraded 12.9” screen. If the 2021 12.9” is an improvement for reading, I’ll return it in new condition and try to find what will probably be a scarce 2021 12.9”.
I’ve done the same thing — ordered, but then returned unopened if I decide on another model. I do not want to return an opened product — bad form.

The Costco deal I believe is good until the end of this month, so this should give you time to read plenty of reviews of the M1.

I’m the same with reading use on the iPad — have you checked out archive.org? They have plenty of old books in PDF and ePub formats. I primarily use PDF Expert for reading and studying.

Reactions: obargy and Broadus

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Brightness is not linear, so these percentage calculations don't work

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So? The point is that one screen can do at 60% of its best what the other can do at maximum.
So it's wrong. Brightness is not linear. It's like loudness, 60 decibels is not 40% quieter that 100 decibel for instance...Having said that, maximum brightness at 1000 nits is only speculation at this point, it's not clear whether it is for HDR content only or not.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
So it's wrong. Brightness is not linear. It's like loudness, 60 decibels is not 40% quieter that 100 decibel for instance...Having said that, maximum brightness at 1000 nits is only speculation at this point, it's not clear whether it is for HDR content only or not.
I made no comment about the power needed not being linear, or even that 400 nits more in brightness isn’t linear and won’t be perceived as much brighter as the number of nits would suggest. I’m well aware of how decibels and light require much more output to be perceived as double as loud/bright. It has no bearing on what I or anyone else is discussing. You’re just coming off as “akhtualllyyy” try-harding.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I made no comment about the power needed not being linear, or even that 400 nits more in brightness isn’t linear and won’t be perceived as much brighter as the number of nits would suggest. I’m well aware of how decibels and light require much more output to be perceived as double as loud/bright. It has no bearing on what I or anyone else is discussing. You’re just coming off as “akhtualllyyy” try-harding.
Look, you seem like the kind of person that will accept no correction when you are wrong and if that's your way of doing, good luck with that.
At least my post will be useful to those that don't know that what you said is incorrect and that for instance might think that 1000 nits is almost double 600 nits in in terms how how bright the screen looks, when, for instance, the difference between 400 and 600 nits is (much) bigger than that between 600 and 1000.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
The Costco deal I believe is good until the end of this month, so this should give you time to read plenty of reviews of the M1.

I’m the same with reading use on the iPad — have you checked out archive.org? They have plenty of old books in PDF and ePub formats. I primarily use PDF Expert for reading and studying.
Interestingly, I was surprised to find no 12.9" iPad Pros on Costco's site this morning. Almost all the 2020 12.9" and 11" were available as of 10 p.m. ET. I have no idea what's going on there. Only 2021 11" iPPs are listed.

I was not aware of archive.org. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.