Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Nothing I said was incorrect. A ‘nit’ is a unit of brightness. A 600 nit display is 400 nits less capable of one that can do 1000 nits. I said nothing about whether one would perceive it as much brighter or by how much.

Last edited:

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
I still find myself torn between the 11" and 12.9" iPad Pro. My intended use case does not include much in the way of video consumption, so I'm wondering what (if any) benefit the Mini LED / XDR display will bring to my workflow.

Many comments I read on this forum seem pretty convinced that the XDR will be an all-round better (brighter, better contrast, more colour accurate) display for not just HDR video but for all types of content. Is this really the case?
The Duo Brothers of Vadim and Max of the YouTube Channel Maxtech are saying that the XDR Display and the Extra Nits Brightness will only Kick in while watching HDR Videos for all Non Video Content the Screen Display will go back to the Earlier and Standard Brightness.

Reactions: obargy and Broadus

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
If it works like FALD on TVs, then yes, everything will be better regardless if its HDR content or not, simply because its a superior lighting method than edge lighting on LCDs. It is a night and day difference if you view anything with black in it. It's not quite OLED levels, but very close. It looks closer to OLED than it does LCD.

Reactions: the future
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.