Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

autofree

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
It's surprisingly lacking in impact on my M1 MacBook Pro 16.

I had a Razer Blade 15 for a bit with a 144Hz display and the high refresh rate was a delight and very noticeable.

On the MacBook Pro it doesn't feel appreciably better than the 60Hz screen on my Air. I do think that the refresh rate benefits are being held back by a slow pixel response time on the panel. It's a stunningly good screen in other respects.
I agree. Gaming laptops with their 144Hz display is more noticeable and scrolling is smoother than on the MBP. I can only assume it's how Apple is handling the adaptive refresh rate, as it's not running at full 120hz most of the time. There's a difference over 60hz, but very slight. It should be smoother IMO.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
I had a visit to the Apple Store today to take a look for myself.

In my eyes, it's feels exactly the same as the iPhone 13 Pro Max:
  • Animations like Expose or resizing window look eerily smooth. It's quite odd to experience, having used macOS now for 20 years on 60Hz or lower displays.
  • Scrolling is smoother. But it's a mess. For example, scrolling in Safari isn't like you're watching a piece of paper being rapidly raised and lowered. The text smears badly just as it does on a 60 or 30Hz display.
  • That's it. It seemed more noticeable to me on the 16in MBP compared to the 14in.
Yes I noticed rhe text smear too, thought it was just me! Big letdown as i wanted it for reading primarily.

I think it is significantly worse than on my ipad pro. Im not sure what the cause of this sissue is on the mbp 14.

“Eerily smooth” is a very good phrase, that really describes it with expose and window resizing etc. That aspect of it is cool

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
how Apple is handling the adaptive refresh rate, as it's not running at full 120hz most of the time

It's down to a poor pixel response time. This now infamous YouTube video explains more:
. The issue is that Apple just isn't interested in matching high-refresh rate gaming monitors, and that's fine. Apple's interested in great HDR colour accuracy for creative professionals. Videos don't get above 60FPS in mainstream editing, for example. The ProRes feature was more about giving an impression of responsiveness in the UI. To quote a word long-used around these parts, Apple's interested in making everything feel snappier!

That said, it's a shame there is a poor pixel response time. I don't understand this technology hugely but the reviewer in that video suggests it could be fixed by Apple overdriving the screen—and I suspect that would impact battery life and possibly heat (which is already an issue with these displays, because they're known to shutdown if on full brightness in a warm environment).

Yes I noticed rhe text smear too, thought it was just me!

When I eventually get the 16in I'll take a few videos with the 240FPS camera on the iPhone 13 Pro Max, and compare it to my current mid-2015 15in MacBook Pro. I expect them to be essentially indistinguishable when it comes to scrolling in webpages in Safari, with perhaps a marginal improvement with the 16in.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
That said, it's a shame there is a poor pixel response time. I don't understand this technology hugely but the reviewer in that video suggests it could be fixed by Apple overdriving the screen—and I suspect that would impact battery life and possibly heat (which is already an issue with these displays, because they're known to shutdown if on full brightness in a warm environment).
Overdriving the pixels just means pushing more voltage to them. This can improve pixel response times but can also introduce overshoot (color/luminosity of a pixel goes beyond the intended value before settling down to the correct value) which can be visible as negative ghosting - bright trails instead of dark trails. It should not have any significant effect on power use or how hot it gets.

Most desktop displays offer a number of overdrive settings where there is usually a sweet spot that performs best for the particular panel - achieving both good response times and no or negligible overshoot.

Most TVs instead offer multiple modes where some favor image processing over response time and input lag while others like game modes favor low input lag and response time but disable some processing features to speed things up.

It would be good for Apple to offer something like this too. For example they could have a "content creator mode" that favors image accuracy above all and then a "normal" mode that is snappier for regular desktop use, watching videos etc. Or even separate modes for graphics designers (favor color accuracy for static images) and video editors (favor motion performance).

I have no idea how Apple can consider it acceptable to have such absolutely terrible response times on their laptop displays. For perspective, the 5K Apple Studio Display is much faster and even that is slightly slower than is required for 60 Hz, causing extra motion blur. Apple's Pro Motion Macbook Pros cannot keep up in pixel response times for 60 Hz let alone 120 Hz.

Either the issue is that Apple did not bother dealing with pixel response time at all or their mini-LED backlight is abysmally slow too so the pixel response time is tuned to work with that. I really hope they perform better for the M2 Macbook Pros as this to me would be an easy area where they could improve the performance.

Using adaptive sync for variable refresh rate is at most a battery saving feature on Macbook Pros as the display can drop to very low refresh rate when the image is static and then immediately ramp back up to 60-120 Hz in motion.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Surprised at the comments. I think its a huge difference and makes scrolling so much better/nicer.

Reactions: Dealmans

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Absolutely useful!

I use a Magic Mouse on my MBP16 and my impression is that when I use the internal display with ProMotion, the cursor is waaaay smoother than when I my external display (Studio Display).

It's not like the mouse is jerky on the external display but when you see the difference you can barely go back.
Can't wait for Studio Display with ProMotion.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
As others have pointed out, the pixels on this screen are actually too slow to keep up with 120hz.

As a test I’ve set my 16-inch to 60hz today and there’s virtually no (perceived) difference in smoothness. It does however feel smoother then my 15-inch from 2017 which also has a 60hz display, so the smoothness has more to do with the GPU then with Pro Motion.
I think Promotion is more of a means to save battery power with the added benefit of being able to boost up to 120hz.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I have no idea how Apple can consider it acceptable to have such absolutely terrible response times on their laptop displays. For perspective, the 5K Apple Studio Display is much faster and even that is slightly slower than is required for 60 Hz, causing extra motion blur. Apple's Pro Motion Macbook Pros cannot keep up in pixel response times for 60 Hz let alone 120 Hz.
Thanks for your reply. In describing what overdrive is, I think you answered your own question here.

The desktop displays are better because they have essentially unlimited power, and better cooling potential because they don't have to be crammed into a thin lid.

And like I said, creators don't need fast response times. Apple doesn't target gamers. Apple surgically targeted the video/photo editors and 3D modellers with the MBP 14 and 16in range. And by all measures succeeded with things like the media encoding engines in the Pro/Max range. Nobody right now in mainstream media is creating videos higher than 8K at 60FPS. And even that is rare. More likely people will be working at 4K at 30FPS, or 1080P. For that, the screen refresh is fine.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks for your reply. In describing what overdrive is, I think you answered your own question here.

The desktop displays are better because they have essentially unlimited power, and better cooling potential because they don't have to be crammed into a thin lid.

And like I said, creators don't need fast response times. Apple doesn't target gamers. Apple surgically targeted the video/photo editors and 3D modellers with the MBP 14 and 16in range. And by all measures succeeded with things like the media encoding engines in the Pro/Max range. Nobody right now in mainstream media is creating videos higher than 8K at 60FPS. And even that is rare. More likely people will be working at 4K at 30FPS, or 1080P. For that, the screen refresh is fine.
I think they could still do better. Apple Macbook Pros seem to have anything from 50-100ms response times and that's a huge amount when the Studio Display is around 20ms and many 4K displays are well under 10ms.

60 Hz pixel response time should be under ~16.7ms for no added motion blur. 120 Hz pixel response times should be under ~8.3ms. So Apple's laptop displays are several magnitudes away from that.

Targeting content creators is a poor excuse considering motion performance would matter for video editors and 3D animators.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
It’s shocking going from 24” iMac to a 14”, if I didn’t need a bigger screen would sell the iMac and just use the 14”.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
In theory, yes. But ProMotion is actually disabled when low power mode is on. Constantly switching refresh rates appears to require more resources than just leaving it fixed at 60 Hz.
Isn't that counter-productive? As I heard, low power mode just caps the maximum frame rate at 60 fps. But if the machine can achieve 10 Hz for a second instead of 60 Hz, these savings should way outweigh the resources needed to switch to said Hz.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Isn't that counter-productive? As I heard, low power mode just caps the maximum frame rate at 60 fps. But if the machine can achieve 10 Hz for a second instead of 60 Hz, these savings should way outweigh the resources needed to switch to said Hz.
You could be right. I've read conflicting statements about exactly what is disabled by the low power mode and part of it is probably how people define ProMotion. Unfortunately, very little information about how low power mode works comes directly from Apple, so a lot of times it's just hearsay.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Here in the UK a few decades ago there were some TV adverts for small vans. It showed several vans from different competitors, all lined up. It then showed them all being filled with one tonne loads. The soundtrack then said, "All these vans could take one tonnes. But only one can drive away."

And they showed this, and it was obviously the van they were advertising.

I feel this message applies a lot to nearly all discussions about the M1 Pro/Max 16in MBPs.

People say things like, "My PC gaming laptop has a high refresh rate screen and is perfect!" or nowadays, "Intel and AMD both have high-end chips that outperform the M1 Max!"

True. But none of these can be be driven away, which is to say, they will literally struggle to last even an hour under difficult workloads on battery. The MBP, though? It will last 4-5 hours. Possibly even your whole working day, depending on the workload.

This message is increasingly becoming lost.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Here in the UK a few decades ago there were some TV adverts for small vans. It showed several vans from different competitors, all lined up. It then showed them all being filled with one tonne loads. The soundtrack then said, "All these vans could take one tonnes. But only one can drive away."

And they showed this, and it was obviously the van they were advertising.

I feel this message applies a lot to nearly all discussions about the M1 Pro/Max 16in MBPs.

People say things like, "My PC gaming laptop has a high refresh rate screen and is perfect!" or nowadays, "Intel and AMD both have high-end chips that outperform the M1 Max!"

True. But none of these can be be driven away, which is to say, they will literally struggle to last even an hour under difficult workloads on battery. The MBP, though? It will last 4-5 hours. Possibly even your whole working day, depending on the workload.

This message is increasingly becoming lost.
I knew this would be the case once the M2 MacBook Air was launched. Design change or not, price increase or not, it is absolutely crazy that a computer this thin and light is as powerful as it is, especially for the price. The result? It upsets people, because it remains a disruptive product. The MacBook Air has been a disruption since the first generation, and every time it gets a major update, it's a big deal. This always bothers the Windows people. And Apple Silicon REALLY bothers Windows people.

Expect people to try to fluff over AS Macs for the next several years. They did it with the iPhone and iPad, the Apple Watch, the iPod, and everything else Apple has ever made. It will be a while before people give in and admit that Apple has changed the game yet again.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Yes. To me the higher refresh rate with motion reduces my eye strain. It’s to the point where I can notice 60Hz just moving my mouse on the desktop. It looks so bad just moving my mouse. So I always go for 120+. I don’t see the need for higher than 144.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am curious as I just bought my first device with a ProMotion display (iPad Pro). You mentioned the high refresh rate being better for eye strain. What about the fact that ProMotion slows down well below 60Hz (as low as 24Hz) depending on what is happening on the screen. Do you feel there is more eye strain in that scenario on one of these ProMotion displays, is it better to have one that is locked at 60Hz than a variable refresh rate display that goes anywhere between 24Hz and 120Hz depending on what type of motion is on the screen- specifically in regards to eye strain?

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
The title says it all. Outside of video editing, is the 120Hz ramping up for scrolling on webpages or docs actually something you notice?

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60FPS videos within a split second of them playing, so I suspect I've the kind of eyes/brain that might notice this. That said, on my iPhone 13 Pro Max I don't really notice the Promotion at all.
your right the brain can only see around 30 frames a second, but if you run something at 30 fps and it has issues, you notice it immediately.

I cant link the video because work blocks gaming sites but if you look up mynintendonews, the have an article called "Super Mario RPG near perfect" and they talk about how the game is 60 fps, but during slowdowns it can dip to 30 and you can dramatically see the shuttle this causes.

mostly 120hz is to provide a fluid like experience when switch between applications or scrolling, if you think of your screen like a picture book, at 120hz you have 120 images per second appear on screen, at 60 its only 60 images per second...

Between my iphone 13 mini and 14 Pro, i dont notice anything but my Macbook Pro 13 vs Ipad pro, I notice it alot..

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I think it's really a luxury feature, more than a functional one. It's one of those things where if you never used it you probably wouldn't even notice it. But once you have it, you really want it on everything

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am curious as I just bought my first device with a ProMotion display (iPad Pro). You mentioned the high refresh rate being better for eye strain. What about the fact that ProMotion slows down well below 60Hz (as low as 24Hz) depending on what is happening on the screen. Do you feel there is more eye strain in that scenario on one of these ProMotion displays, is it better to have one that is locked at 60Hz than a variable refresh rate display that goes anywhere between 24Hz and 120Hz depending on what type of motion is on the screen- specifically in regards to eye strain?
It's a bold claim that high refresh rates reduce eye strain and it's not within Apple's marketing. I would suggest this is only the case if the individual is extremely sensitive to motion on screens. The individual would also be young, because our brains lose this supernatural ability pretty quickly as we get older (although saying that, I can instantly tell the difference between 30 and 60FPS video playback, and I'm 50 years old!).

People who fall into this camp would probably get eye problems from many other sources, such as movie screens, for example. So, they would certainly be aware that they have unusual visual acuity.

As for ProMotion slowing down to low hertz rates to save battery, this happens when the screen is essentially static. So, you literally don't notice it. If anything happens on-screen at 24Hz then, within 1/24th of a second, the screen refresh rate is ramped back up to a higher rate.

ProMotion is nice but on Apple hardware it's poorly implemented because Apple underdrives the screens, probably to save battery life. This causes blurring. So, things look buttery smooth — but once things start moving then it's a blurry mess. This includes scrolling and dragging around windows, for example. This makes ProMotion little more than a marketing gimmick, although the screens are otherwise considered excellent in terms of colour reproduction and HDR. You can google this issue to find several YouTube videos that explain more.

Reactions: jm31828

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

High motion looks smoother at high refresh rates. Slow motion and movie for example are fine at lower refresh rates. But even moving my mouse and scrolling in the browser I can see the individual frames at 60fps so it just irritates my eyes.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
High motion looks smoother at high refresh rates. Slow motion and movie for example are fine at lower refresh rates. But even moving my mouse and scrolling in the browser I can see the individual frames at 60fps so it just irritates my eyes.
So you are saying that ProMotion where it ramps up to 120Hz when there is motion on the screen is indeed easier on your eyes than another screen that is only 60Hz?

Thanks for clarifying! I am just trying to get a grasp of the benefits here, as when I did a side by side quick test in the store, I was not able to really see any difference between the 60Hz screen on the M1 Air and the 120Hz on the Pro M2, no matter how fast I scrolled through web pages or Reddit pages- but figured there had to be other benefits such as being slightly less eye-irritating.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So you are saying that ProMotion where it ramps up to 120Hz when there is motion on the screen is indeed easier on your eyes than another screen that is only 60Hz?

Thanks for clarifying! I am just trying to get a grasp of the benefits here, as when I did a side by side quick test in the store, I was not able to really see any difference between the 60Hz screen on the M1 Air and the 120Hz on the Pro M2, no matter how fast I scrolled through web pages or Reddit pages- but figured there had to be other benefits such as being slightly less eye-irritating.

For me yes. Your mileage may vary and my eye doctor said it does generally help especially with long working days. I am quite sensitive to 60Hz with general computing.

I can tell by just moving my mouse cursor between 60 and 120.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
For me yes. Your mileage may vary and my eye doctor said it does generally help especially with long working days. I am quite sensitive to 60Hz with general computing.

I can tell by just moving my mouse cursor between 60 and 120.
That's fascinating- thanks for sharing! Interesting that your eye doctor even commented on that!
What about the fact that ProMotion is not fixed at 120 Hz, so you often have refresh rates that are below 60Hz depending on what is on the screen. Seemingly no concerns with that, I assume?

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
That's fascinating- thanks for sharing! Interesting that your eye doctor even commented on that!
What about the fact that ProMotion is not fixed at 120 Hz, so you often have refresh rates that are below 60Hz depending on what is on the screen. Seemingly no concerns with that, I assume?
Keep in mind that we all have somewhat different perceptive abilities, what would go unnoticed for you could be very different to someone else.

Reactions: jm31828
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.