Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuisNeto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
The article says exactly how passkeys work on the iPhone, including how resetting the Apple ID password works.
Again, read the beginning of the article.
What is mentions is about using biometrics authentication. Not the Passcode.

Passkeys replace passwords.
The idea is that you can use Passkeys - which are stored encrypted on the phone.

You authorise their usage by using biometrics.

Just because an iPhone has been unlocked, it should not allow any person holding it to also change the Apple ID password just by entering the Passcode.
It should request your biometrics (FaceID or TouchID) to authorise the usage of the Apple ID account Passkey!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Passkeys are more secure than passwords, which is why the password on your Google/Apple can be reset once you have authenticated access using the device that holds the passkey.
The point of 2FA is you need two methods! It is by no means LESS secure to require the password in addition to the "passkey" (trusted device, when authenticated).

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Again, read the beginning of the article.
What is mentions is about using biometrics authentication. Not the Passcode.

Passkeys replace passwords.
The idea is that you can use Passkeys - which are stored encrypted on the phone.

You authorise their usage by using biometrics.

Just because an iPhone has been unlocked, it should not allow any person holding it to also change the Apple ID password just by entering the Passcode.
It should request your biometrics (FaceID or TouchID) to authorise the usage of the Apple ID account Passkey!
When your device biometric authentication fails, it asks you for the device PIN to continue...

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The point of 2FA is you need two methods! It is by no means LESS secure to require the password in addition to the "passkey" (trusted device, when authenticated).
Passkeys are by definition 2FA, you need the phyiscal device, and the device passcode (or touch ID or face ID).

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
No, it's the fingerprint. I have the device in my hand, why are you arguing with me about this?
When touch ID/Face ID fails, your phone will ask for the device passcode, the same passcode that you need to authenticate access to an account that uses passkeys, and the same passcode that can then reset the password of that account.

I really don't know how to explain this more clearly. With passkeys, your device and it's passcode (or touch ID/face ID) become the master keys to the kingdom. That's how they work, how the specification says they work, how they'll probably continue to work, and how they'll work when you inevitably start using them for all your online accounts (and which you are already using for your Apple account).

Are we clear now?

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Where does it say that all Passkey implementations have to work like that?
In the passkey specification:

The user experience will be familiar and consistent across many of the user’s devices – a simple verification of their fingerprint or face, or a device PIN, the same simple action that consumers take multiple times each day to unlock their devices.

LuisNeto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
The user experience will be familiar and consistent across many of the user’s devices – a simple verification of their fingerprint or face, or a device PIN, the same simple action that consumers take multiple times each day to unlock their devices.
That doesn't specify that every implementation is required to allow the PIN (iPhone Passcode).

Apple can very well choose to only enable the authorisation of the Passkey associated with Apple ID via FaceID or TouchID Passcode when someone wants to change the Apple ID password.

(Edit: expanded and amended the last sentence)

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I tried authenticating yet another way (using the phone), and Google still sends the email about the 6-hour waiting period. I'm done with this experimentation – it seems clear that, at minimum, Google requires additional steps that Apple does not. (And it's an "Account recovery" process, not simply a "Change password" process like it is with an iPhone and Apple ID.)

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
That doesn't specify that every implementation is required to allow the PIN (iPhone Passcode).

Apple can very well choose to only enable the authorisation Apple ID Passkey via FaceID or TouchID Passcode when someone wants to change the Apple ID password.

(Edit: expanded on the last sentence)
You'd be going off-spec by ONLY allowing touch ID or Face ID to authenticate since the spec calls for ANY method that unlocks the device to be valid.

It's the act of being able to unlock the device that indicates that it is the authenticated user present.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I tried authenticating yet another way (using the phone), and Google still sends the email about the 6-hour waiting period. I'm done with this experimentation – it seems clear that, at minimum, Google requires additional steps that Apple does not. (And it's an "Account recovery" process, not simply a "Change password" process like it is with an iPhone and Apple ID.)
Have you setup a passkey on your phone for your google account?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
As I said before – I'm not sure, but if not (and it's opt-in only), it proves my point!
That'll be why you are having to jump through all those additional steps, because you haven't setup your phone as a trusted device.

You proactively have to set them up when using a Google account. It happens automatically on an Apple device.

LuisNeto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
You'd be going off-spec by ONLY allowing touch ID or Face ID to authenticate since the spec calls for ANY method that unlocks the device to be valid.
Be accurate!
Nothing that you shared shows that the Passkeys spec says that every company implementing it is forced to allow ANY method that unlocks the device.
Again, are you able to show me anywhere where that is stated?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
That'll be why you are having to jump through all those additional steps, because you haven't setup your phone as a trusted device.

You proactively have to set them up when using a Google account. It happens automatically on an Apple device.
Nothing happens automatically on an iPhone when I go to change my Apple ID, other than it lets me do it by entering my device PIN. No email with a waiting period, no text to a backup phone number, etc.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Be accurate!
Nothing that you shared shows that the Passkeys spec says that every company implementing it is forced to allow ANY method that unlocks the device.
Again, are you able to show me anywhere where that is stated?
It's up to the user to decide which method they use. A user doesn't have to have setup face id or touch id, they can choose to just use their device passcode. They must have a device passcode though, you can't use passkeys without at least a device passcode.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Nothing happens automatically on an iPhone when I go to change my Apple ID, other than it lets me do it by entering my device PIN. No email with a waiting period, no text to a backup phone number, etc.
It's not supposed to. Because you have been able to a) access the trusted device, b) unlock that trusted device, that gives you permission to administer your Apple ID (including changing the password). No further warning or check is needed as you have already completed the 2 factor authentication through step a and b.

Step A and B is all you need to change the password on your Google account too, once you have setup that device with a passkey for your Google account. It'll be all you need to change the password on any number of accounts in the future. This is why it is imperative to keep your device and passcode secure.

You will probably get an email from Apple after you have changed the password to inform you it has been changed.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It's not supposed to. Because you have been able to a) access the trusted device, b) unlock that trusted device, that gives you permission to administer your Apple ID (including changing the password). No further warning or check is needed as you have already completed the 2 factor authentication through step a and b.
Yes, and that is bad. That is what this thread is about. (And Google doesn't seem to make it that easy, at least without – according to the link you found – opting into something further.)

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Yes, and that is bad. That is what this thread is about. (And Google doesn't seem to make it that easy, at least without – according to the link you found – opting into something further.)
Well it's a lot more secure than our current system of passwords, so I'm not sure what the point of calling it 'bad' is, when it's better than what we currently have.

Google is opt-in for now.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Well it's a lot more secure than our current system of passwords, so I'm not sure what the point of calling it 'bad' is, when it's better than what we currently have.

Google is opt-in for now.
It is bad because if someone observes a device PIN being entered in public, and then steals the device (as seems to happen), they will have total control over the user's Apple ID – not just the device itself. It would be better if changing the Apple ID pw required add'l security measures.

LuisNeto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
You have been mixing things!

Unlocking the device is one thing.
Authorising the usage of a particular Passkey stored in the device is another thing and requires a separate authentication.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.