Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I typically Airdrop from iPhone to MBP -> copy from MBP to USB thumb drive -> move USB thumb drive to PC. It's slightly less annoying than emailing and waiting several minutes for the mail server to update, but very cumbersome nonetheless.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I typically Airdrop from iPhone to MBP -> copy from MBP to USB thumb drive -> move USB thumb drive to PC. It's slightly less annoying than emailing and waiting several minutes for the mail server to update, but very cumbersome nonetheless.

You could save them to a cloud storage solution like OneDrive, or message them to yourself via telegram saved messages. Probably not an option for more sensitive documents though.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
You could try using iCloud Drive:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yes! Welcome to 2011!
iCloud offers everything you need. Apple provides 5GB for free!

iPhone PDF > Files ( iCloud )
Windows PC > Login to iCloud.com with your username and password. Download PDF!

honerabledm

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Denver
You can also just use iTunes and sync it directly while plugged into your pc.

“If you have an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 or later, or an iPad, you can use iTunes to transfer files between your computer and your device using apps that support file sharing. You might want to do this if, for example, you want to save files you create on your device to your computer, or take files with you so you can use them when you’re away from your computer.”

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
You can also just use iTunes and sync it directly while plugged into your pc.

“If you have an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 or later, or an iPad, you can use iTunes to transfer files between your computer and your device using apps that support file sharing. You might want to do this if, for example, you want to save files you create on your device to your computer, or take files with you so you can use them when you’re away from your computer.”

Unfortunately, PDFs don't show up under File Sharing in iTunes. In fact, I'm not sure what is actually supported or what File Sharing even does, as that window has been blank every time I've checked for as far back as I can remember.

If you've actually transferred PDFs from an iPhone to a PC via that window, I'd love to know how you did it and which version of iTunes you were running.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Unfortunately, PDFs don't show up under File Sharing in iTunes. In fact, I'm not sure what is actually supported or what File Sharing even does, as that window has been blank every time I've checked for as far back as I can remember.

If you've actually transferred PDFs from an iPhone to a PC via that window, I'd love to know how you did it and which version of iTunes you were running.
File sharing must be enabled by dev AND approved by Apple for it to show up. It is likely whatever app you use to store pdf doesn’t have file sharing enabled, or make their documents folder accessible.

If the prerequisite is met, you can open the said document folder under file transfer section by finding the app icon and double click on it iirc. Then you can copy stuff from there.

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
File sharing must be enabled by dev AND approved by Apple for it to show up. It is likely whatever app you use to store pdf doesn’t have file sharing enabled, or make their documents folder accessible.

If the prerequisite is met, you can open the said document folder under file transfer section by finding the app icon and double click on it iirc. Then you can copy stuff from there.
I use the built in Notes and Files apps. That said, between the walled garden **** and Tim Cook's software and services push, it doesn't surprise me one bit that Apple has purposely crippled their own software.

Thanks for the explanation though - it's good to know that it's at least theoretically possible to transfer files between an iPhone and a PC via iTunes, even if I'll likely never see it happen during my lifetime.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

sk9c00

macrumors newbie
Literally made an acc just to give my two cents. Some other options which are more low entry:

1. Connect to an smb folder share on your windows PC via iOS Files app 'Connect to Server'. Apple tut here. It also supports sharing for example directly scanning from iOS to SMB share.

2. [Free] 'Documents' app by Readdle found in the Apple App Store: there's a local network sync option from which you can exchange files to/from your iOS device and a web browser (Connect to Computer option), or there's more options to Add Network Connection (WebDAV, FTP, SFTP, Windows SMB).

3. [Free] 'Resilio Sync' app found in the Apple App Store: P2P mesh between any devices, supports selective sync on mobile devices.

4. [Free?] Intel Unison Application: I dug this out of the dregs of my memory. I think this came out 'somewhat' recently. Apparently this is suppose to be the 'windows'/Intel equivalent to Apple's Airdrop or wireless sync ecosystem. Supports windows devices, iOS and Android.

Dunno if this would be slightly more convenient than buying 'custom' hardware or dongles. Personally have validated options 2 and 3. Option 2 probably has the least steps for you, while option 3 is better for large or many files and works over both local network and over the internet.

Last edited:

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
If you’d like a more, uhh, IT-approved solution, have the PC host an SMB share and connect directly to it from iOS’ Files app.

(EDIT: @sk9c00 beat me to it, and provided much more helpful detail to boot. I would note that this SMB route uses well-standardized technologies and requires no third-party apps or add-ons.)

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
"AirDrop" it to your PC from your iPhone (or Mac) using snapdrop.net. It creates a local P2P connection between your devices. The file transfer does not go through the internet.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I've done it with even lightning devices. Sandisk sold a range of double sized thumb sticks or you could use a Lightning to USB adapter.

Just a heads-up: Don't try to use Apple's own lightning to usb adapter for that. It doesn't deliver enough power for most devices, even thumbsticks, iirc. Get one of those combined lightning cardreader/usb-adapters from amazon for half the price.

spamabyss

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Telegram saved files. I have the client on the windows laptop I use and on my phone. That's quick and dirty. I use it all the time.

Reactions: Delivered

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Install iCloud on the PC. Job done. (Or install OneDrive on your iPhone. Job done.)

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
Have you tried SnapDrop?

Reactions: one more

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
Going to channel my inner Tim Cook.
“Why don’t you replace your windows computer with a Mac. There’s never been a better time to exclusively use a a Mac.”

On a Sirious note. You have gotten some great responses. Bottom line is cut out the middle device in the Mac. That’s unnecessary.
There are some options in the form of having an ftp server but not sure how:if that would work form iPhone/windows. I think easiest would be cloud storage but if sensitive document then you’ll have to use one of the other methods. As a warning I’ll say the lighting to usb drives I’ve used have been finicky and broken on me so I wouldn’t use them for back up just to move files across.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.