Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
One more vote for Snapdrop, which will use your existing WiFi connection to move your files. For best results, use Safari on your Apple devices and Edge on your PC. 🖐️

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
I typically Airdrop from iPhone to MBP -> copy from MBP to USB thumb drive -> move USB thumb drive to PC. It's slightly less annoying than emailing and waiting several minutes for the mail server to update, but very cumbersome nonetheless.
How big are your PDFs? What are your download and upload speeds? How many minutes are we talking? iCloud for Windows or Snapdrop sound like the perfect solutions for this. Am I missing something?

yurgrenn

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2023
actually
possible via itunes
on iphone move files to one of the folders that you have available in itunes file transfer tab then save from there

and to copy from pc to phone move file into that window in transfer tab and on iphone get it from that folder

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
@Faize Use Tailscale's Taildrop feature, you can peer to peer send files between any device connected to your tail net anywhere in the world. It's free. Highly recommended, it's how I transfer between PC, Mac, and iPhone. For persistent folders on Mac and PC I use Syncthing. As a bonus your devices will benefit from all the Tailscale features such as being able to connect to any of your machines (services, SSH, etc.) as if they were on a local network without worrying about auth (Plex running on a NAS, using your Apple TV as a Tailnet 'endpoint' so you can effectively setup a home VPN in one click, etc.). It's essentially a peer to peer VPN powered by Wireguard and it doesn't mess with any of your network.

I cannot recommend it enough. It's a great piece of software.

SnapDrop is great for sharing with other people you don't know on your network but you have to open a browser window every time and a browser is not always stable for file upload especially on iOS. Taildrop integrates with macOS/Windows/iOS native share menus so you can right click any file in File Explorer/Finder/Files App, press "Send with Taildrop" and select a device you want to send the file to. It's the closest thing to AirDrop I've found for your own devices.

Last edited:

honerabledm

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Denver
I use the built in Notes and Files apps. That said, between the walled garden **** and Tim Cook's software and services push, it doesn't surprise me one bit that Apple has purposely crippled their own software.

Thanks for the explanation though - it's good to know that it's at least theoretically possible to transfer files between an iPhone and a PC via iTunes, even if I'll likely never see it happen during my lifetime.
Not saying it isn’t working for you. But it’s strange because I used iTunes to sync pdfs for my TTRPG games all the time. Notes, should go, but it has been a bit. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.