Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Canon EOS 50D
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

Canon EOS 50D and 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 EF-S
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is/

:eek::eek:

Sample pics on flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2793914907/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2794722216/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2793869341/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2794710082/sizes/o/

(update)
The EOS 50D will be launched here in Japan from September (next week)!
I'd imagine they won't be reaching state-side for a few more months.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Yawn. I don't consider this important news at all. Where's my 5D mk2, where is my full frame goodness? That is the game changer. Not some 15mp camera with a x1.6 crop factor. I mean come on 1.6!?!

Way to go on pissing off the 40D users, what is it, only 12 months old?.:D

On a positive note however, the 5D has to have much improved specs over the 50D.:)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
sweet, beat me to this post, but I think you made it more extensive than mine would have been :p

the specs on that look really sweet and I'd love to update my 20D with it... but I'm also holding out for the 5D Mk II... I've wanted a 5D but have been waiting for its update.

What's exciting, is that the same few people that got the specs spot on with the 50D from rumors also said the 5D Mk II would get 21MP.... I'm really hoping that's right (but don't want quite that many MP at the expense of the 5D's awesome high-ISO noise handling)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
sweet, beat me to this post, but I think you made it more extensive than mine would have been :p

the specs on that look really sweet and I'd love to update my 20D with it... but I'm also holding out for the 5D Mk II... I've wanted a 5D but have been waiting for its update.

What's exciting, is that the same few people that got the specs spot on with the 50D from rumors also said the 5D Mk II would get 21MP.... I'm really hoping that's right (but don't want quite that many MP at the expense of the 5D's awesome high-ISO noise handling)

Wow, with 21megapixels... I would need to buy you know a new computer to handle them! I'll wait a while, no rush. :) Just give me the 5D.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
According to DPReview, it isn't a refresh but a model that will sell alongside the 40D, which will remain in production.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Wow, with 21megapixels... I would need to buy you know a new computer to handle them! I'll wait a while, no rush. :) Just give me the 5D.
Yeah, the guy said the 50D would be announced this month and the 5D update would be sometime next month... definitely hoping it'll be a great update

According to DPReview, it isn't a refresh but a model that will sell alongside the 40D, which will remain in production.
I'm trying to skim DPReview's post off and on while working, so I haven't seen that... do you have more info on what that means exactly? Why would they call it the 50D if it's not going to effectively replace the 40D?

Also, is it just me or does the retail price seem low to you guy? DPR says $1,299 is list... I haven't bought a xxD series camera since I got my 20D at its launch, but that seems pretty low, especially for the specs on this thing

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

I remember that Canon said that about the 400D when the 450D came out THEN after a few months the 400D was discontinued.
However the 30D is still on market (of sort) and priced higher then a new 40D - go figure...

Personally I'll stick to my current 40D, it does me fine for now. Though I do wonder whom the 50D will appeal to...

Yawn. I don't consider this important news at all. Where's my 5D mk2, where is my full frame goodness? That is the game changer. Not some 15mp camera with a x1.6 crop factor. I mean come on 1.6!?!

Way to go on pissing off the 40D users, what is it, only 12 months old?.

On a positive note however, the 5D has to have much improved specs over the 50D.

Seriously dude.. get yourself a 1Ds mk III, not too expensive either!

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I'm not a Canon fan but this is definitely some good competition to keep my preferred platform from resting on its arse.

Looks like a super capable camera. Nice work, Canon!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It IS a refresh. Canon just keeps on selling their old stuff for a long time always.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm curious - do you really want 15-16 megapixels in an APS-C (more or less) sized sensor? It seems like diffraction's going to kick in at f/11 (or maybe even a touch wider) with that sized photosite.

^ I agree, it's getting ridiculous. I wonder when they'll stop? 24MP in a pocket camera? Ew.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I'm not a Canon fan but this is definitely some good competition to keep my preferred platform from resting on its arse.

Looks like a super capable camera. Nice work, Canon!

I think when it comes to dSLR's people tend to stick to what they know, kinda makes uses of their heavy investment. Seems the money spent on a updated body is nothing compared to the money we invest into lenses, extenders, converters and other accessories.

In my family, my father and I uses different brands. He's more of an Nikon man and I, a Canon uesr. Whenever I'm back in the UK we seem to argue about the differences between either or... The truth is, he's not used a Canon dSLRs, so for him the argument doesn't hold water.

When it comes to film photography I do like the old Nikon (with horse shoes) and Minolta SLR's better as for medium format, I tend to tinker about with Mamiya (probably never heard of them...)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm curious - do you really want 15-16 megapixels in an APS-C (more or less) sized sensor? It seems like diffraction's going to kick in at f/11 (or maybe even a touch wider) with that sized photosite.
Exactly! The 50D is nice and all, but really...at that number of MP you need a FF sensor.
I tend to tinker about with Mamiya (probably never heard of them...)

You're just kidding right?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Well, maybe the added MP helps with printing larger images? Maybe it just makes the person "feel better"? On maybe the person has larger hard drives than I have? Or maybe the person feels like his sensor is bigger than mine? :)

Jan 30, 2006
Well, maybe the added MP helps with printing larger images? Maybe it just makes the person "feel better"? On maybe the person has larger hard drives than I have? Or maybe the person feels like his sensor is bigger than mine? :)

Yeah, but normally someone who spends this amount of money in a semi-pro camera knows that MP isn't everything.:)

I like how Nikon hasn't made this of packing more MP than necessary. At least in their dSLR cameras. Hopefully they'll stay like this, tho the new D90 (as the rumors put it) looks "cheap, commercial and just not professional". I don't see the reason of video in a dSLR, and even less when they say it is HD Video.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yeah, but normally someone who spends this amount of money in a semi-pro camera knows that MP isn't everything.:)

I like how Nikon hasn't made this of packing more MP than necessary. At least in their dSLR cameras. Hopefully they'll stay like this, tho the new D90 (as the rumors put it) looks "cheap, commercial and just not professional". I don't see the reason of video in a dSLR, and even less when they say it is HD Video.

I agree with you at least about having a video feature. For video, I prefer a camcorder designed for it. One can take still photos with a camcorder, but nothing like a photo from a SLR camera.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
You're just kidding right?

Well, no.. It sits on the shelf makes a good talking point when we have parties. Was given it as a gift by my family a while ago, suggested i should take up photography seriously... it's a Mamiya 645 something, fully manual focus, non of this hocus pocus bull! I've tinkered i with it a few times, images taken are as sharp as a whistle. Unfortunately I don't know enough, my experience isn't up to that level yet and i'm more interested in other media. But buying medium format film is dirt cheap, processing it is another problem my apartment is way too small for a darkroom (all part of the fun!)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, no.. It sits on the shelf makes a good talking point when we have parties. Was given it as a gift by my family a while ago, suggested i should take up photography seriously... it's a Mamiya 645 something, fully manual focus, non of this hocus pocus bull! I've tinkered i with it a few times, images taken are as sharp as a whistle. Unfortunately I don't know enough, my experience isn't up to that level yet and i'm more interested in other media. But buying medium format film is dirt cheap, processing it is another problem my apartment is way too small for a darkroom (all part of the fun!)

I suspect when Jessica said "you're just kidding", she was responding to the idea that no one here would've heard of Mamiya before. There are at least a few folks here that shoot medium format on occasion (film, not digital as far as I know).

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I think when it comes to dSLR's people tend to stick to what they know, kinda makes uses of their heavy investment. Seems the money spent on a updated body is nothing compared to the money we invest into lenses, extenders, converters and other accessories.

In my family, my father and I uses different brands. He's more of an Nikon man and I, a Canon uesr. Whenever I'm back in the UK we seem to argue about the differences between either or... The truth is, he's not used a Canon dSLRs, so for him the argument doesn't hold water.

When it comes to film photography I do like the old Nikon (with horse shoes) and Minolta SLR's better as for medium format, I tend to tinker about with Mamiya (probably never heard of them...)

When a friend and I would get bored we use to rent Hasselblad equipment and play with shooting landscapes and architecture. Heard of them?
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.